Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Old Jun 15, 22, 11:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paule123 View Post
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
Anyone know the location / door at SFO?
Don't normally do bags.
On the day of departure, the UA app should prompt you with the location/door number of the express bag drop. At least it did for me departing ORD which was outside curbside at a dedicated skycap stand...
It did (was expecting to see it at check-in) and it was the normal Premier Check-in area for SFO
That when fine --- TSA was a total zoo, 40 mins for PreCheck -- line when back to the bag check area and had to flight across those lines to get to the bag check area.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
To my surprise yesterday, there actually is an express purple Bag Drop and Premier Access baggage lane at MCO, but you'd never know it unless you looked to the left as you approached the United counter. I did the self-tagging at the regular checkin desk then swiveled around to get in line with the plebes and saw the signage across the hallway, walked over and dropped my bag there. (nobody in line)

They need way better signage to direct the Premiers and shortcut people to the correct area.

Last edited by paule123; Jun 27, 22 at 9:15 pm
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... They need way better signage to direct the Premiers and shortcut people to the correct area.
IME, the phone app will notify you of the bag drop option and location
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
IME, the phone app will notify you of the bag drop option and location
Well, in this case at MCO, the app did not indicate the location other than "look for the purple sign" which is not obvious at the MCO checkin counter.
Old Jun 27, 22, 9:53 pm

Well, in this case at MCO, the app did not indicate the location other than "look for the purple sign" which is not obvious at the MCO checkin counter.
Did you look after you arrived at the airport, it does not show in advance. (I found that confusing initially)
Old Jun 28, 22, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL Plat, AA Gold, Hilton Silver
To my surprise yesterday, there actually is an express purple Bag Drop and Premier Access baggage lane at MCO, but you'd never know it unless you looked to the left as you approached the United counter. I did the self-tagging at the regular checkin desk then swiveled around to get in line with the plebes and saw the signage across the hallway, walked over and dropped my bag there. (nobody in line)

They need way better signage to direct the Premiers and shortcut people to the correct area.
Hmm it sounds like you ended up at the regular premier access check-in area although I don't think I've seen a purple "bag drop" lane just for premiers. I agree they could improve the signage. One time premier access was closed and I was worried about getting in that huge line..but it sounds like they've addressed that now.
Old Jun 28, 22, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, Marriott Gold
I did the self-tagging at the regular checkin desk then swiveled around to get in line with the plebes
I have to laugh at calling anyone not at your UA Platinum level a “Pleb”.
As a 1K, I’ll have to keep that in mind for anyone who has status below me 😝
Old Jun 28, 22, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
DTW finally ditched their awful check-in setup, and there was a sign for skip the line bag drop when I was there on 6/27. However, I didn't get a notice as I do at other airports, so it's either being rolled out or they're no longer notifying in the app during check-in.

Search this Thread