Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skip the Line and Check a Bag in a Minute or Less: UA Debuts New 'Bag Drop Shortcut'

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2022, 11:23 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by paule123
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Anyone know the location / door at SFO?
Don't normally do bags.
On the day of departure, the UA app should prompt you with the location/door number of the express bag drop. At least it did for me departing ORD which was outside curbside at a dedicated skycap stand...
It did (was expecting to see it at check-in) and it was the normal Premier Check-in area for SFO
That when fine --- TSA was a total zoo, 40 mins for PreCheck -- line when back to the bag check area and had to flight across those lines to get to the bag check area.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Starbucks Gold, PF Chang's Warrior, Wine Century 100
To my surprise yesterday, there actually is an express purple Bag Drop and Premier Access baggage lane at MCO, but you'd never know it unless you looked to the left as you approached the United counter. I did the self-tagging at the regular checkin desk then swiveled around to get in line with the plebes and saw the signage across the hallway, walked over and dropped my bag there. (nobody in line)

They need way better signage to direct the Premiers and shortcut people to the correct area.

Last edited by paule123; Jun 27, 2022 at 9:15 pm
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... They need way better signage to direct the Premiers and shortcut people to the correct area.
IME, the phone app will notify you of the bag drop option and location
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:43 pm

IME, the phone app will notify you of the bag drop option and location
Well, in this case at MCO, the app did not indicate the location other than "look for the purple sign" which is not obvious at the MCO checkin counter.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 9:53 pm

Well, in this case at MCO, the app did not indicate the location other than "look for the purple sign" which is not obvious at the MCO checkin counter.
Did you look after you arrived at the airport, it does not show in advance. (I found that confusing initially)
Old Jun 28, 2022, 11:21 am

Programs: UA 1K
To my surprise yesterday, there actually is an express purple Bag Drop and Premier Access baggage lane at MCO, but you'd never know it unless you looked to the left as you approached the United counter. I did the self-tagging at the regular checkin desk then swiveled around to get in line with the plebes and saw the signage across the hallway, walked over and dropped my bag there. (nobody in line)

They need way better signage to direct the Premiers and shortcut people to the correct area.
Hmm it sounds like you ended up at the regular premier access check-in area although I don't think I've seen a purple "bag drop" lane just for premiers. I agree they could improve the signage. One time premier access was closed and I was worried about getting in that huge line..but it sounds like they've addressed that now.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 1:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I did the self-tagging at the regular checkin desk then swiveled around to get in line with the plebes
I have to laugh at calling anyone not at your UA Platinum level a “Pleb”.
As a 1K, I’ll have to keep that in mind for anyone who has status below me 😝
Old Jun 28, 2022, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
DTW finally ditched their awful check-in setup, and there was a sign for skip the line bag drop when I was there on 6/27. However, I didn't get a notice as I do at other airports, so it's either being rolled out or they're no longer notifying in the app during check-in.
Old Aug 23, 2022, 11:06 am

I've never done online check-in before for an international flight, and the bag drop shortcut is new for me, so perhaps someone could tell me if I'm eligible?

I am flying on a US passport from SFO to MUC this Sunday. I'll arrive around 10am. I am all-green on the United website pre-flight checklist.

Is there a bag drop also at SFO G Intl? Also having Clear and Pre-Check, it would be nice to not have to wait in any lines at all.

Thanks!
-- Ethan
Old Aug 24, 2022, 6:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Great experience a at IAD a couple days ago - they now have a stand curbside. I had 8 bags to take my daughter to college and had to tote them only about 30 feet from car.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 9:26 pm

Great experience at ORD Friday afternoon - curbside stand at door 1E. There were about 4 very friendly staff there handling the checkin. No line, no wait.

However at CLE it's a bit of a mess. On a Saturday morning, the regular baggage check line was running past the express bag drop entrance, obscuring the signage, and just looked like confusion all around with a mob of people in line in the narrow lobby. Skipped the express bag drop and went to the Premier counter.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
UA does say just the UA hubs for now, but others later.
Others as in within the US? Any chance of international airports getting the same treatment?
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by solomita
I've never done online check-in before for an international flight, and the bag drop shortcut is new for me, so perhaps someone could tell me if I'm eligible?

I am flying on a US passport from SFO to MUC this Sunday. I'll arrive around 10am. I am all-green on the United website pre-flight checklist.

Is there a bag drop also at SFO G Intl? Also having Clear and Pre-Check, it would be nice to not have to wait in any lines at all.

Thanks!
-- Ethan
There's no eligibility limitation to use the bag drop, other than completing check in.

I'm unsure if SFO G has it. Often it is not that busy there, so maybe not needed. Though sometimes they also understaff, so maybe needed actually.

If you're going to use a United Club before departure, it might be worth going to T3 anyway and dropping off there, since the G UC is quite small.
solomita likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2022, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by fumje
There's no eligibility limitation to use the bag drop, other than completing check in.

I'm unsure if SFO G has it. Often it is not that busy there, so maybe not needed. Though sometimes they also understaff, so maybe needed actually.

If you're going to use a United Club before departure, it might be worth going to T3 anyway and dropping off there, since the G UC is quite small.
Me neither, but the last couple of times I was at SFO, I didn't encounter very long lines. I didn't know this thread and UA feature even existed.
solomita likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2022, 11:07 pm

Programs: HHonors:Gold,Marriot:Silver,United:Gold, Delta:Gold
UA Ripping out Premier Checkin Desks at Ohare

They converted a huge row of the checkin desks at Ohare T1 into bag drop only places for Preimire and they're pushing people to do OCI/the machines instead. This is a really disappointing thing to see if you have a business class ticket and/or status. (That was the only thing that I valued with Silver) This feels like it's economy. (Also, my experience, it's nearly always better with a paper ticket)

Yes, I'll do a mobile ticket when I'm not checking a bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.