Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

removing service agents from clubs? New direction: combo in-person / virtual agents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Virtual agent link

https://united.fiveout.app/welcome
Print Wikipost

removing service agents from clubs? New direction: combo in-person / virtual agents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2022, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
This confirms that my decision to not renew the club was the right way to go. Those agents were gold, and got me out of all sorts of travel snafus. Otherwise, the clubs have become pretty worthless.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
I don't fly to the US much, but even I've been helped by UC agents. On my last trip before the pandemic, I had a misconnect at ORD on my way to Tokyo. The agent at the B18 club took great care of me.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
This is absolutely ridiculous if it's happening across the system. Reinforces my belief that companies are now using "The Pandemic" to simply justify more and more service cuts.

I was last at the clubs two weeks ago. Both IAD and DEN were fully staffed. Removal of this benefit would make me drop my club membership in a microsecond. What's the point, other than an overpriced bar, packaged snacks, and an area as crowded as the gate..

UC agents have been immensely helpful in the past 5 years, to the point where a few incidents justified the whole years' fee alone.

This absolutely and completely sounds like a Kirbyesque kind of change, though. Eerily so. To the point where I read the title of this thread and said to myself "You've got to be $*(@(@ing me, Kirby." This may be the kick that puts me into free agent land after 27 years loyal to United.

Last edited by tcp1; Feb 7, 2022 at 11:49 pm
Old Feb 7, 2022, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kacee
I suspect UA would respond that they are still providing virtual agent assistance and that it's the same thing.
LOL….thanks for starting my day off with some humor.

No way a virtual agent is the same as a live agent, but leave it to Kirby to find another way to shaft his customers
rch4u likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 12:47 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by unitedbusiness
that is the can-do attitude that United is renowned for! Can’t imagine that ever happening on DL or at a SkyClub
I disagree. About a year ago, I was at the DCA Sky Club when my flight to LAX, via ATL, got sufficiently delayed to render a misconnect. I had been upgraded. Though I consider myself pretty resourceful, I hadn't found any good alternatives, and F was full-up everywhere else. The agent ultimately offered two options: F IAD-SEA-LAX, which would require me to drive to Dulles (not awful; not great) or DCA-JFK-SEA-LAX, with JFK-SEA on a 764 in Delta One. I took the latter. That was a highly not-by-the-book routing, especially since she rebooked me in J, but I appreciated it. And she was extremely pleasant.

But I will say that, as a committed United flyer, the no-nonsense, just-make-it-happen approach of many UA agents is refreshing. A lot of infrequent travelers I know complaint about United for the same reason I like it: Many of the agents aren't warm and cuddly, but strictly business. Thing is, strictly business often gets stuff done. As the descendant of New Yorkers, that's good with me. So when a United agent sees my misconnection, sees that I've already been rebooked on an okay-but-not-great flight, and asks, "So, which flight do you really want?" -- and then rebooks me onto it, even though it's not necessarily the most "logical" flight -- I appreciate it. Were they giggly and complimentary the whole time? Not at all. But I got my boarding pass, upgrade restored, in 120 seconds.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:47 am

As a data point, the area where the customer service agents sit at the IAH B club was empty yesterday. I noticed it but attributed it to it being the B club, and not one of the larger ones...
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:44 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ezefllying
I disagree. About a year ago, I was at the DCA Sky Club when my flight to LAX, via ATL, got sufficiently delayed to render a misconnect. I had been upgraded. Though I consider myself pretty resourceful, I hadn't found any good alternatives, and F was full-up everywhere else. The agent ultimately offered two options: F IAD-SEA-LAX, which would require me to drive to Dulles (not awful; not great) or DCA-JFK-SEA-LAX, with JFK-SEA on a 764 in Delta One. I took the latter. That was a highly not-by-the-book routing, especially since she rebooked me in J, but I appreciated it. And she was extremely pleasant.

But I will say that, as a committed United flyer, the no-nonsense, just-make-it-happen approach of many UA agents is refreshing. A lot of infrequent travelers I know complaint about United for the same reason I like it: Many of the agents aren't warm and cuddly, but strictly business. Thing is, strictly business often gets stuff done. As the descendant of New Yorkers, that's good with me. So when a United agent sees my misconnection, sees that I've already been rebooked on an okay-but-not-great flight, and asks, "So, which flight do you really want?" -- and then rebooks me onto it, even though it's not necessarily the most "logical" flight -- I appreciate it. Were they giggly and complimentary the whole time? Not at all. But I got my boarding pass, upgrade restored, in 120 seconds.
+1 - when they work magic, they worth their weight in gold. As an example, at LGA RCC (this was pre-merger), I had a delay that would cause me to misconnect. Before I approach the service rep, they paged me to the desk, handed me a revised non-stop booking on AA, and printed a paper ticket "just in case the ticket did not transfer through".
MatthewLAX and truncated like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by PTahCha
+1 - when they work magic, they worth their weight in gold. As an example, at LGA RCC (this was pre-merger), I had a delay that would cause me to misconnect. Before I approach the service rep, they paged me to the desk, handed me a revised non-stop booking on AA, and printed a paper ticket "just in case the ticket did not transfer through".
The LGA crew was among the best! Walking around the space to find someone with a new BP already printed was a common experience.

Ditto MSP - I used to fly through there almost every Saturday evening. The agent in the club (always the same one) would see me come in the door and hand me my already printed upgrade BP.
rch4u, MatthewLAX and ezefllying like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 5:47 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
I'm not sure about all the negativity in this thread. An early post has the QR code for the priority chat website. It links to the URL https://united.fiveout.app/welcome.

Now anyone with the link can access a lounge-quality representative from anywhere in the world. From my perspective I'll use this far more than an actual human agent at a lounge.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
I'm not sure about all the negativity in this thread. An early post has the QR code for the priority chat website. It links to the URL https://united.fiveout.app/welcome.

Now anyone with the link can access a lounge-quality representative from anywhere in the world. From my perspective I'll use this far more than an actual human agent at a lounge.
The UC agent would have solved my problem in the time it would take me to type my destination, name and birthdate on my tiny iPhone keyboard.
uanj and worldwidedreamer like this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 8:24 pm

Maybe. But it's unproven. What happens when ORD shuts down for an hour or two, and a few thousand people flood the app?

There's a subset of travelers who don't have access to GS-levels of service, but travel through places like ORD -- where a nearby lightning strike can wreak havoc in minutes -- frequently enough to make fast access to competitive agents for a few hundred $/year well worth it. I'm suspicious that a widely accessible app/remote agent can offer the same type of service. But I'd love to be proven wrong.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 8, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by zoned_post_meridiem
Maybe. But it's unproven. What happens when ORD shuts down for an hour or two, and a few thousand people flood the app?

There's a subset of travelers who don't have access to GS-levels of service, but travel through places like ORD -- where a nearby lightning strike can wreak havoc in minutes -- frequently enough to make fast access to competitive agents for a few hundred $/year well worth it. I'm suspicious that a widely accessible app/remote agent can offer the same type of service. But I'd love to be proven wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I agree 100% that UA should have agents in clubs. Just saying that this strategy can help anyone with the URL.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:10 am

Programs: UA1K MM, JL JMB SAPPHIRE, Marriott Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Real lounge-quality representative usually reply to your question in a few seconds instead of minutes.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:14 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Interesting at least to me - one moment they are lounge dragons in a fairly derogatory way - now they will surely be missed with all sorts of outrage. Maybe someone at UA was reading some threads and said - well - if they don’t want dragons we will eliminate them (kidding)
tcdtcd likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:38 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Interesting at least to me - one moment they are lounge dragons in a fairly derogatory way - now they will surely be missed with all sorts of outrage. Maybe someone at UA was reading some threads and said - well - if they don’t want dragons we will eliminate them (kidding)
To be fair, the negative comments with lounge agents tended to be those handling entry, not those assisting on travel issues -- two very different roles and at least at the hubs at separate stations.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.