Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

removing service agents from clubs? New direction: combo in-person / virtual agents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Virtual agent link

https://united.fiveout.app/welcome
Print Wikipost

removing service agents from clubs? New direction: combo in-person / virtual agents

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
I noticed the video about virtual assistance right after the safety demo (on fights with TVs) but I had (incorrectly perhaps?) figured it was a consolidation of Customer Service desks from the concourses. I would never expect them to pull agent assistance from clubs.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:33 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by StuMcIlwain
Although it may sound strange in this day and age, some people do not carry a phone with them when they fly, especially internationally. I am one of those people. I've used the Club agents many times during IROPS (which happen quite often at hubs like EWR or ORD), and I would be very disappointed if they are gone for good. There's little else of value in many UCs.
Club agents were fantastic at ORD and SFO when UA 747s would have their "rolling delays." If I had to be in HKG for a meeting or connection, they would rebook me without hesitation--many times on OA--even though my current (doomed) UA flight hadn't cancelled yet. IME, Club agents are life-savers.
Lurch, SPN Lifer, karenkay and 1 others like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 5:48 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
My most recent international flights, SYD (last month) and PMI (last Summer) I had issues and the agents at SAN in the UC were great about helping me get issues resolved.

The virtual system is dreadful. I tried using it and got so frustrated I called while trying to use the Chat and the phone agent resolved the issue before the Chat finally got me to the first stage of where I needed to be.

This is not am improvement I will like.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 6:14 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
I forgot where I read this, but I thought the pulling of agents from B6 club is temporary to accomodate the renovation in progress.

Originally Posted by ty97
I noticed the video about virtual assistance right after the safety demo (on fights with TVs) but I had (incorrectly perhaps?) figured it was a consolidation of Customer Service desks from the concourses. I would never expect them to pull agent assistance from clubs.
It's not just consolidation of service agents, but they pull from other airports as well.

Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
My most recent international flights, SYD (last month) and PMI (last Summer) I had issues and the agents at SAN in the UC were great about helping me get issues resolved.

The virtual system is dreadful. I tried using it and got so frustrated I called while trying to use the Chat and the phone agent resolved the issue before the Chat finally got me to the first stage of where I needed to be.

This is not am improvement I will like.
The airport virtual assistant is more like a video call with an agent, as opposed to the chat feature. And yes, agree that chat function is not exactly well designed nor executed.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by gmt4
I thought this was a done deal for a long time already. I don't recall exactly when as travel during 2020-21 was quite a foggy time, but the agents at ORD B6 have been gone since early 2021 I believe. At first it was due to low traffic due to covid. Most people probably didn't' notice because you just walk by without paying attention if you aren't going there to seek assistance. It just seems as if they'd rather drive everyone to the app, chat or phone now. Another Kutback I guess.

AA still has agents in their Admirals clubs.
They have been there all year (2022) from what I remember - in fact, I think they were there Tuesday (Feb 01, 2022)
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

There are agents by the entrance downstairs. In B18 the lower level still has an agent on duty as well as on the entry floor level.
they can not do reticketing and have very limited ability to help in IRROPS

Source: me, Tuesday night in ORD when I was cancelled to DLH on a multi-city ticket trying to get back to EWR before the storm. They told me to call the 1K desk, which was able to help.

this is bad
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
If you start the process of buying a day pass on the app, “personalized travel assistance” is listed as one of the “one-time pass benefits.” Huge if this is some pilot test. The Club agents have saved me a ton of time and stress over the years. This is one area where UA should NOT be cutting any corners.
Gar1P and DNAWilly like this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha
I forgot where I read this, but I thought the pulling of agents from B6 club is temporary to accomodate the renovation in progress.
I really hope so. Swift IRROPS handling is the only thing that makes a UC membership/UC Chase card fee worth the cost.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 9:53 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Absolutely ridiculous if true. What value would the UA clubs have if not for the agents to help in irrops? The packaged cafeteria food? The complimentary swill? Or the over-crowded seating?
jasonp622 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:25 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
I never use the agents other than for IIROPS when they really could be a lifesaver. When a flight cancels without one second of hesitation I head to the closest club to see an agent. It makes a huge difference getting rebooked before the crowds show up at the customer service desks. And if it involves rebooking on a different airline and getting a taxi voucher to a nearby airport, how does that work over the phone? They send you to the customer service queue to be the 121st person to pick up the taxi voucher?

No matter what anyone says I know I get better service talking to an agent in person rather than over the phone. Phone agents having a bad day can blow you off too easily. Rarely happens in person.
linsj, karenkay, Gar1P and 5 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Of course I have - albeit not as much as it seems to happen to everyone else on this forum. The vast majority of my flying had been international - and other than the occasional delay - never had an issue. The extremely rare times I've had a cancel, I'd know before I left for the airport. Now that I've been in Hawaii the past 10+ years - those flights rarely cancel or delay and in the very rare times they do, I've never had an issue getting auto-rebooked - and nowadays I'd just call the GS line to take care of things.
I'm sure that GS customers are well taken care of and rarely need a live agent in the UCs. For everyone else when things go south, not every problem can be solved by UA's auto-rebooking, as good as it is most of the time. More Kirby Kwality, aren't we all so lucky.

Originally Posted by uanj
I never use the agents other than for IIROPS when they really could be a lifesaver. When a flight cancels without one second of hesitation I head to the closest club to see an agent. It makes a huge difference getting rebooked before the crowds show up at the customer service desks. And if it involves rebooking on a different airline and getting a taxi voucher to a nearby airport, how does that work over the phone? They send you to the customer service queue to be the 121st person to pick up the taxi voucher?
Originally Posted by uanj
No matter what anyone says I know I get better service talking to an agent in person rather than over the phone. Phone agents having a bad day can blow you off too easily. Rarely happens in person.

Some of my best CS experiences have been during times of stress caused by system disruptions.
SPN Lifer and 22H like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave

There are agents by the entrance downstairs. In B18 the lower level still has an agent on duty as well as on the entry floor level.
That's a trash can.
iadisgreat, JAaronT, SS255 and 7 others like this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:17 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Started a thread about this a few weeks ago.

Nice to see others taking notice of this cutback. I must not have titled the previous thread properly.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:42 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
I could see where they move those agents to the credentials desk to help with admittance during crunch times and focus more people on IRROPS when needed. At EWR C2 UC, I've seen as many as 5 agents behind the credential desk. In a major IRROPS situation one of them could check people in and the rest address travel issues. In times of heavy attendance but few issues, travelers could get checked in quicker.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 7:00 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Does this apply the PL?
I was pretty impressed the last time I went to an agent when I had a UA caused mis-connection. As I approached and sat down, I noticed the agent already had my new BPs sitting on her desk ready to give me..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.