Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Christmas 2021 / January 2022 Ops / staffing Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Christmas 2021 / January 2022 Ops / staffing Issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Joshua
I'm not sure why a crew member would lie and say they have a mild cold, so that they could quarantine away from home for 10 days over the holidays.

Once they report in sick they can't fly to commute / commute home either. Completely grounded. In some cases they would need to quarantine away from their families too.

If anything, crews are being overworked (see for example UA's minimum staffing with F/As on flights). There clearly needs to be a lot more reserves if we are going to continue to have testing regimens and ground employees once they have a positive test for 10 days.
If a crew member tests positive away from home and/or away from their base, who pays for the cost of their ten day quarantine wherever they are stuck? UA or the crew member, assuming it's not in a country that provides a quarantine facility at no cost to the victim.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by bocastephen
Any sensible person could have predicted future variant outbreaks to continue unabated until the virus is finally defeated. In fact, THIS particular variant and its unique features have been common knowledge for weeks now and it doesn’t take much analysis to figure out where it would end up. It appears United and the rest of the industry made no plans ahead of time to deal with an escalating loss of staff. It’s not like the variant just showed up yesterday.

Kirby has repeatedly made comments about a return to normalcy that have never been grounded in reality and have been flat out irresponsible.
Based on everything I've read (and I've read dozens of papers on this), this thing is going to mutate continually into the future. This was an expected event if you are to believe the virologists that have been studying it. Whether or not the mortality rate increases with future mutations is unknown but, we can be certain that this thing will not be "over" for a long time.

I've already planned for the worst with this current situation and have made back-up, one-way car rental reservations.
FLYMSY likes this.

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 24, 2021 at 7:16 pm
Old Dec 24, 2021, 7:58 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If a crew member tests positive away from home and/or away from their base, who pays for the cost of their ten day quarantine wherever they are stuck? UA or the crew member, assuming it's not in a country that provides a quarantine facility at no cost to the victim.
UAL pays for our hotel and will (eventually) get us home.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 24, 2021, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
163 cancellations on Xmas already for UA

243 for DL

good luck to all traveling, not today but domino effect next 5 days. If 10 days stays the rule for quarantine I see UA down to like 20% of scheduled come Tuesday
Old Dec 24, 2021, 11:39 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Obviously pre COVID they had extra staff to cover sick employees who can’t work but this is different with so many affected.
I work at Whole Foods the last 2 years has been a mess empty shelves both people our and supply chain issues but we never closed the store.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 5:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, SK Diamond, ITA Volare Club Executive, TK Elite
So my ticket got rebooked multiple times... Last time yesterday. They canceled UA107 for today (was MUC-IAD-ORD-SEA) and rebooked me on LH434 (MUC-ORD) without even asking. I kept the ORD-SEA segment. I gave 1K line 3x a call and asked to be rebooked (See attached itinerary) because of the tight connection at ORD (75 minutes T5 -> T1) but the agents declined to rebooked me free of charge because they claim it‘s a on involunteer base.

The agents said I got rebooked last week on the previous mentioned itinerary on a volunteer base. So? One agent didn‘t care about the canceled UA107 flight and even insisted that this flight is still scheduled. Right

Now I have to deal with Lufthansa bureaucratic instead of the travel ready United flight…

Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Marschel
So my ticket got rebooked multiple times... Last time yesterday. They canceled UA107 for today (was MUC-IAD-ORD-SEA) and rebooked me on LH434 (MUC-ORD) without even asking. I kept the ORD-SEA segment. I gave 1K line 3x a call and asked to be rebooked (See attached itinerary) because of the tight connection at ORD (75 minutes T5 -> T1) but the agents declined to rebooked me free of charge because they claim it‘s a on involunteer base.

The agents said I got rebooked last week on the previous mentioned itinerary on a volunteer base. So? One agent didn‘t care about the canceled UA107 flight and even insisted that this flight is still scheduled. Right

Now I have to deal with Lufthansa bureaucratic instead of the travel ready United flight…
What LH bureaucracy are you talking about . UA rebooked you with 1 less stop, that is where it usually ends. And honestly, enjoy the much nicer LH flight
cur, Dyce and SFO_LOW_CLOUDS like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by cfischer
What LH bureaucracy are you talking about . UA rebooked you with 1 less stop, that is where it usually ends. And honestly, enjoy the much nicer LH flight
Especially since the quoted flight the OP “requested” would now require TWO LH flights (MUC-FRA-EWR) versus the one convenient one UA rebooked.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 10:07 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Especially since the quoted flight the OP “requested” would now require TWO LH flights (MUC-FRA-EWR) versus the one convenient one UA rebooked.
Tbf the op was concerned about the 75 min connection from t5 in ord. Yes 1 connection down from 2 is always better. Imo it's a bit tight.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
75 mins at ORD in winter T-5 -> T-1? No way I'd feel safe in the current situation. Yes, it can be done, especially if the member has GE, and then TSA prechceck or CLEAR to breeze thru security. Its definitely a risk for someone who does not. ORD is a black hole of bad luck, where even on sunny days with blue skies and everything else going right with the world you will be held up or delayed for something unexpected.
SPN Lifer and nexus7556 like this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by prestonh
Tbf the op was concerned about the 75 min connection from t5 in ord. Yes 1 connection down from 2 is always better. Imo it's a bit tight.
TBF too, 75min isn't even a legal connection at ORD. (Looks like 80m is min for LH>UA@ORD.) But, the comment was referencing the OP's not being happy about being rebooked on LH, and then requesting 2 LH flights to replace it.

Absent no other one stop options (which in and itself is odd between MUC&SEA on UA/LH), I'd personally chance the 75min connection vs the double stops in winter.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by gmt4
75 mins at ORD in winter T-5 -> T-1? No way I'd feel safe in the current situation. Yes, it can be done, especially if the member has GE, and then TSA prechceck or CLEAR to breeze thru security. Its definitely a risk for someone who does not. ORD is a black hole of bad luck, where even on sunny days with blue skies and everything else going right with the world you will be held up or delayed for something unexpected.
If winter weather strikes, inbound TATL and TPAC flights will have priority for landing over everything else. It's the connection to SEA that may be delayed, not the MUC arrival. Besides, ORD as of a couple weeks ago has the capability of operating six runways simultaneously in all weather. Of course, that doesn't say anything about keeping all of the pavement clear when it's snowing heavily.

Seventy five minutes is short but with GE/Nexus, shouldn't be a problem.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 7:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP. Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JimInOhio
If winter weather strikes, inbound TATL and TPAC flights will have priority for landing over everything else. It's the connection to SEA that may be delayed, not the MUC arrival. Besides, ORD as of a couple weeks ago has the capability of operating six runways simultaneously in all weather. Of course, that doesn't say anything about keeping all of the pavement clear when it's snowing heavily.

Seventy five minutes is short but with GE/Nexus, shouldn't be a problem.
Landing on time doesn't translate into getting to a gate right away. Many times I've landed on time and had to wait for an international gate to open up. Realize, carriers who aren't UA, AA, NH or LH stay at that gate in T-5 as they are usually turning right back to where they came from. They don't always get towed away after dumping off their pax. If that TK flight to IST is slightly delayed he'll sit there occupying real estate. Even if its 5 or 10 minutes, that would significantly impact a 75 min connection. Winter time De-ice is at the gate and baggage claim ops in T-5 are slow. Bottom line, its a risk. I would feel uncomfortable even as a US citizen with GE and CLEAR and being very familiar with the airport.

Couple any staffing issues with the normal ORD delays and/or shenanigans its an instant recipe for trouble.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2021, 7:40 pm

Programs: UA 1k Marriott Plat
Question

Has there a been a certain time they have been doing the next day cancellations at? Don’t see anything for Monday yet?
Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:22 pm

I'm on one of the 763 flights from IAD to IAH tomorrow
They canceled pretty much all of these flights today. What I hate hearing is that people grab their connection and then get stranded - which I'm not in the mood to deal with lol
I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to see what happens but if they cancel I'm just going to grab a car and hoof it for 3 days.

just not going to bother with all this madness
zombietooth and Marschel like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.