Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Christmas 2021 / January 2022 Ops / staffing Issues

UA Christmas 2021 / January 2022 Ops / staffing Issues

Old Dec 30, 2021, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Im pretty sure a pandemic w/ quarantine guidelines and illnesses are not UA’s fault. Expecting compensation is a bit unrealistic.
Not sure if it's that unrealistic when Delta is giving 15,000 Skypesos. It would have been a nice gesture even if it wasn't legally mandated.
Old Dec 30, 2021, 7:12 pm

Programs: Lame Duck Delta PM, Freshly Minted AA EXP
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
There’s a delay explanation you don’t see often. Put down a good longshot bet when you get to Vegas!
Well, the LAX area doesn't often get ~4 inches of rain in a day...I'm surprised things weren't more messed up...

https://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/precipMap...group=la&img=3
Old Dec 30, 2021, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by socalflying
Well, the LAX area doesn't often get ~4 inches of rain in a day...I'm surprised things weren't more messed up...

https://www.cnrfc.noaa.gov/precipMap...group=la&img=3
Agree entirely! Hence the point of my post.

The flooding of my yard would entirely support this point!
Old Dec 30, 2021, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by artvandalay
UA has announced that they are cancelling 193 mainline flights today (9%) due to weather and "staffing issues." AA has cancelled four.
AA did not cancel my MIA-GRU flight but delayed it by about 12 h due to shortage of crew. It is unimaginable that AA could not prioritize this major route served by B77W.
AeRoSpaceman likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
It is a good time to be a UA pilot - UA to offer triple pay to pilots who pick up extra flights.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...haos-rcna10553

A flight operations executive with the company, Bryan Quigley, said in a staff note obtained by NBC News that pilots would earn three-and-a-half times their pay for additional flights between Dec. 30 and Jan. 3.

They’ll earn triple pay for flying extra between Jan. 4 and 29, the note says.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kmxu
AA did not cancel my MIA-GRU flight but delayed it by about 12 h due to shortage of crew. It is unimaginable that AA could not prioritize this major route served by B77W.
If there simply aren't enough 777 crews available, what are they supposed to do? Most 777 routes are probably considered to be "major" routes.

And they probably did try to prioritize certain flights, and this could have been one of them.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 3:57 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by Vulcan
My flight tomorrow EWR > TPA at 2:20 was cancelled and I was put on the 4:40. Went from a paid upgrade on the earlier flight to 14A on the new flight. I know this happens, but it still hurts.
Do you get compensation??
Old Jan 2, 2022, 6:09 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Update on my situation:

My transcon to EWR was cancelled, and the options offered would've made me days late getting home, so I rented a O/W car from Hertz (only $390-) and drove. Left LA on the 30th at 1000 and finished at 1800 on the 1st. Everyone was driving fast most of the way-I mean 85 to 90, so I made really good time.
bowdenj and Repooc17 like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 8:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by zombietooth
Everyone was driving fast most of the way-I mean 85 to 90, so I made really good time.
Hey, you are only going the same speed as the flow of traffic

You just gave the idea to get back into doing a cross country drive - thanks!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC

did some checking and Skywest has the most cancelations among domestic flights.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Update on my situation:

My transcon to EWR was cancelled, and the options offered would've made me days late getting home, so I rented a O/W car from Hertz (only $390-) and drove. Left LA on the 30th at 1000 and finished at 1800 on the 1st. Everyone was driving fast most of the way-I mean 85 to 90, so I made really good time.
Wow! Impressive cross-country road trip! Hopefully ice/snow was not a big issue yet in most of the interstates!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: None anymore
Originally Posted by DFWFairy

did some checking and Skywest has the most cancelations among domestic flights.
Those are some brutal numbers for Skywest... WOW!
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by bowdenj
Wow! Impressive cross-country road trip! Hopefully ice/snow was not a big issue yet in most of the interstates!
I used fastest-route navigation and avoided almost all of the weather (I had about 4-5 hours of rain for the entire trip).

Honestly, it was a very enjoyable drive, especially with XM Radio. I haven't done a coast-to-coast since the pandemic began and really enjoyed seeing the beautiful and varied countryside.
bearkatt and jtet like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Can anyone check the status of UA 430 DEN-ONT on Saturday the 8th?

I got an email from concur saying the flights cancelled, and when I search in UA for it, the flight doesn’t show anymore (I know it did yesterday).

in my reservation on United though, it doesn’t say anything. A call into the line said a 45 minute wait time so I don’t want to hold a spot, it’s not urgent, but I’d like to know what’s real right now.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 5:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by BThumme
Can anyone check the status of UA 430 DEN-ONT on Saturday the 8th? ....
EF is reporting cancelled at the moment
BThumme likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.