Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Christmas 2021 / January 2022 Ops / staffing Issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UA Christmas 2021 / January 2022 Ops / staffing Issues

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2021, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
If one has a reservation for a up front seat nowadays, one should be glad UA isn’t doling out upgrades early anymore. Definitely was a beneficiary of the delayed upgrade processing when my journey was re-routed 3am day of my flights.

on the other hand, upgrade chances are a bit lower nowadays with a bunch of reaccomodations. A bunch of SFO- IAD flyers thought they were looking good for upgrades the night before my flights were re-jiggered. A bunch of people headed to LHR from SFO took the seats. Cascade effect: SFO-EWR cancelled for 12/24 with a lot re-routed via EWR. 7:15pm EWR-LHR cancelled, so re-route was re-routed via IAD.
Ari likes this.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Dec 25, 2021 at 10:04 pm
Old Dec 26, 2021, 1:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by MiltonFreedMan
I'm on one of the 763 flights from IAD to IAH tomorrow
They canceled pretty much all of these flights today. What I hate hearing is that people grab their connection and then get stranded - which I'm not in the mood to deal with lol
I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to see what happens but if they cancel I'm just going to grab a car and hoof it for 3 days.

just not going to bother with all this madness
I call that, "protecting yourself".

I'm out in LA, and can do the cross-country drive in 2 days if I push it, but I'll probably take 3. Luckily, I am several days out from my flight home and am still hoping for the best

Last edited by zombietooth; Dec 26, 2021 at 1:30 am
Old Dec 26, 2021, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by MiltonFreedMan
...I'm waiting until tomorrow morning to see what happens but if they cancel I'm just going to grab a car and hoof it for 3 days....
You might get where you’re going faster if you’re not lugging a car...
Xyzzy and zombietooth like this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 5:57 am

Programs: UA 1k Marriott Plat
Obviously I didn’t look at every United destination but it looks like nothing has been canceled for Monday yet. Why are they waiting so long? We knew friday that Sunday’s flights were going to effected
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tarheelfan211
Obviously I didn’t look at every United destination but it looks like nothing has been canceled for Monday yet. Why are they waiting so long? We knew friday that Sunday’s flights were going to effected
UA is currently at 13 cancels for Monday (DL is at 2). Staffing shortages will likely be far less acute on Monday as they were likely a combination of Covid cases and people simply taking weekend off for Christmas holiday.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Tarheelfan211
There are cancellations for Monday:

UA2017
UA2110
UA2475
UA568

but clearly either UA has been able to get folks to come to work for extra shifts post holidays or there is a pretty big cancellation wave still in the making
Old Dec 26, 2021, 10:18 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by cfischer
There are cancellations for Monday:

UA2017
UA2110
UA2475
UA568

but clearly either UA has been able to get folks to come to work for extra shifts post holidays or there is a pretty big cancellation wave still in the making
It’s probably the extra duty opportunities kicking into place post-Christmas. I can understand pilots and/or FAs not jumping on those extra trips for Christmas but afterwards they quite likely look more attractive.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by Joshua
I'm not sure why a crew member would lie and say they have a mild cold, so that they could quarantine away from home for 10 days over the holidays.

Once they report in sick they can't fly to commute / commute home either. Completely grounded. In some cases they would need to quarantine away from their families too.

If anything, crews are being overworked (see for example UA's minimum staffing with F/As on flights). There clearly needs to be a lot more reserves if we are going to continue to have testing regimens and ground employees once they have a positive test for 10 days.
Why do they have to be away from home to report symptoms? If I wanted to stay at home with my family and got booked on a flight at an inconvenient time it would be extremely easy for me to report “symptoms” a day or two before my flight so I could stay home with my family over the holidays. It’s naive to think no one is doing that, and United is welcoming it.

It is nuts to have to quarantine for 10
days because you have a slight cough, all while testing negative. What happened pre-Covid??? Employees made decisions for themselves and called in sick.

United brought this upon themselves.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 10:58 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by J_Stroming
Yes, that . . . and they gave me $20 x3 = $60 of meal vouchers to enjoy at EWR during a <4-hour delay.

You see, in the middle of the night, they cancelled my 12/24 ~6am EWRLAX (in J on a 763) and moved me to an ~8pm via SFO (also in J). They texted me a link that apologized and took me to some meal vouchers and even offered me a hotel (presumably because the delay was over 12 hours). But at the time, I was able to snag the last seat in J on the 8:30 am from JFK to LAX which was on operated on a 752. When I woke up to catch that flight, however, a J seat was open on the 10am EWRLAX (operated on a 781), so I grabbed that, and was again sitting solo and departing from my preferred airport.

I then noticed the link to my meal vouchers was dead when I tried to follow it, but I had already screen shot the vouchers in the middle of the night. So instead of going to the United Club when I got to EWR, I went to Saison and had a nice ~<$40 breakfast compliments of United. Oh, and on my way to the gate, I stopped by a newsstand and grabbed ~<$20 worth of snacks to enjoy in L.A.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by J_Stroming
Why do they have to be away from home to report symptoms? If I wanted to stay at home with my family and got booked on a flight at an inconvenient time it would be extremely easy for me to report “symptoms” a day or two before my flight so I could stay home with my family over the holidays. It’s naive to think no one is doing that, and United is welcoming it.

It is nuts to have to quarantine for 10
days because you have a slight cough, all while testing negative. What happened pre-Covid??? Employees made decisions for themselves and called in sick.

To be fair, this is consistent with CDC and most health departments’ guidance.
Old Dec 26, 2021, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
UA 1954, the SFO-DCA nonstop, canceled because of COVID crew-availability problems Sunday and Monday. The three of us are booked on that flight Thursday, and until a few minutes ago we were on two PNRs: Back in September, when UA only had two seats left in cheapest fare bucket, I decided to pay cash for my ticket and Mini DCA writer's, then book Mrs. DCA writer on miles. I didn't want to have deal with getting separate reservations reworked if this flight cancels too, so I took advantage of the airfare now costing about 25% less (a post-Christmas miracle!) to cancel both reservations and then rebook the exact same itinerary for the three of us.
DELee likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 4:31 am

Programs: LT Plt, 4mm, *A GLD, burned out medical provider, executing our estate plan
Was in PRG 12-24 with LH PRG-MUC, MUC-IAD (ua), and IAD-AUS home. Rolling cancels and got auto rebooked UA MUC-EWR, then home. Then the LH start got delayed Christmas eve and UA didn't know about it so would have missed connection in MUC. Called from PRG and a Christmas miracle happened on the *A Silver line. A 10 minute hold. Got an agent, who had to call LH liaison, and un check us in. Then got LH MUC-EWR, then UA home. Truly a miracle. Also, besides UA being better than BA or AA about auto rebooking based upon this experience, we turned into *A Gold over the Atlantic. And got home.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:40 am

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Just my quick story:

Was booked (in P, discounted F) 12/25 LAX-DEN at 4:11 p.m. (last nonstop of the day, Christmas is already a reduced schedule). Got a text about 4 a.m. on 12/25 that my flight was cancelled (it was an A319, not a 737) and that I'd been rebooked for 12/26 LAX-RNO-DEN at 6:25 a.m. (on an E175, still in first).

I immediately checked other flights on the app and found a nonstop for 12/25 at 1:05 p.m. (a 737-900) I grabbed it but couldn't select a seat; got 1B (I prefer a non-bulkhead window) but was happy to be on the flight. Went back a few minutes later and found several empty seats in F so I grabbed 3F. I'm glad I checked out the situation when I did because the flight quickly filled up and went out full.

Went back to sleep, had Christmas festivities very early and hit the road for LAX (from Santa Barbara County) at 9 a.m. Made great time despite the rain, visited the Star Alliance Lounge at TBIT and enjoyed my flight (very short with tailwinds), which had a VERY young crew. Thanks, kids! Arrived in Denver very early and got home for Christmas II.

It worked out OK for me but UA's staffing model does not seem ideal.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 11:46 am

Programs: UA 1k
Two for two, after getting my 12/24 DEN-EWR flight Canned last friday. Just got my 12/28 EWR-MIA flight cancelled. Website/app currently impossible to use for searching for alternatives. Guessing they are still working through cancellations.
Old Dec 27, 2021, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Kurt
It worked out OK for me but UA's staffing model does not seem ideal.
Because of the “young crew”?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.