Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Discussion of the United Clubs at IAH {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discussion of the United Clubs at IAH {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Haven't used the showers but a handful of times, and I've been told there's a wait, but always managed to get my shower without problems.

There are showers also in one of the C term UCs, but I've never used that one.

But do agree with you about (a few) people putting their feet up on tables
I've recently used both the C (south) and E showers. I prefer the overall space in the C shower - lots of places to lay out your stuff, big sink area, heated towel rack, decent shower.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
If forced to pick I would agree with the consensus on E - always less crowded than the C lounge and just seems cleaner, nicer, better stocked.

They are all inferior to both SFO T-3 (gate 81) and SFO T-Int which have self service soft drinks. I absolutely despise having to wait at the bar and be guilted into tipping for a 3oz soft drink

Originally Posted by InterFlyer
My vote is for E also, but after some international travels and stays at Lufthansa and Air Canada lounges recently, I am convinced that even the "good" UA lounges are really bad.
+1 It's kind of a silly debate as all UA domestic lounges fka RCCs are by definition mediocre.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
LH uses contract lounge in IAH D. Not fancy, can be crowded, but 'way better food choices than United Club - including hot food. Upper floor in E UC is quieter, less crowded, but you have to go down one level if you want anything from the bar. It could be a hike from LH lounge to your gate on the south side, so I'd just do a UC in Houston unless you get there real early and are hungry. Also - lounge has more limited hours.

Edit - since it's a contract lounge, your UA BP may not work there, now that I think about it...Looks like UC is only option.
+1
Old Mar 24, 2016, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Boraxo
+1 It's kind of a silly debate as all UA domestic lounges fka RCCs are by definition mediocre.
Except that ALL lounges at IAH (i.e. this thread) are former CO President Clubs
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:08 pm

Programs: -=- UA: GS + 3.9 Million Miler; Hilton: Diamond; Marriott: Gold; Hertz: President's Circle
I absolutely despise having to wait at the bar and be guilted into tipping for a 3oz soft drink
+1

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually had glasses that held 16oz or more.
Old Mar 24, 2016, 10:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They are all inferior to both SFO T-3 (gate 81) and SFO T-Int which have self service soft drinks.
But the SFO lounges are all so crowded (and loud) at anything except odd departure times. I still like top level at IAH E Terminal for the spacing between seats and relative peace and quiet.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 5:01 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by EmailKid
Haven't used the showers but a handful of times, and I've been told there's a wait, but always managed to get my shower without problems.

There are showers also in one of the C term UCs, but I've never used that one.

But do agree with you about (a few) people putting their feet up on tables
What is going on with the feet up on the sofas and chairs? I was in IAH E lounge yesterday, 3F, and within view three guys had their feet up on the furniture.

Originally Posted by Live4Upgrade
+1

It wouldn't be so bad if they actually had glasses that held 16oz or more.
And they fill the glass with ice leaving you with 2 fluid ounces.....
Old Mar 25, 2016, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Cuchulainn
That may be. And YMMV. But three times in the last six months I've been there it's been staffed by a surly younger woman who, if anyone asks for a shower, immediately barks at them that there's a long wait and that they need to sign up. And I've never seen more than one person working there. I'm one for four trying to get a shower between connections of 2+ hours.

Contrast with the Arrivals Lounge at LHR. I've never had to wait for more than 20 minutes even with several flights all arriving at once.

I'm glad you've had a good experience. I haven't.
I agree. I've pretty much given up on E showers early in the morning, while I have yet to have to wait for a C shower. I also agree with the comments on the sub-par attendants at E and the awkward setup with the rarely manned desk up front and the showers that are on the opposite side of the club that often leave you on a hunt for an attendant. I'm not a fan.

C showers also work out perfectly arriving from a longhaul as you can exit customs and go through the tunnel and down to the guaranteed pre-check in terminal C and avoid the E security roulette altogether. If you're GS even better with the separate security chute.

As for the E club in general, I used to agree with the comments on the relative serenity of the top floor. But lately, I don't think I can say that anymore. The overcrowding has been quite bad recently, my last two visits in particular were just awful. I've been going to this club for around 10 years, and it's notably more crowded now than it was in the past IME. Plus, if I want to have a bar drink, it really is a pain.

I think they would be better off ripping out the workstations that are next to the tarmac windows and putting in regular seating. It seems like the club is always filled, and then there will be a total of 4 or 5 people max scattered through that whole area of ~25 desks. Then, take out the last section of cubicles back by the bathrooms (which are already awkward to begin with) and put a normal shower attendant station there where it belongs, and add some seating at the top of the staircase.

Also a general comment: there are almost exclusively 4-6 person seating areas in all UA IAH (and pretty much all ex-CO) clubs that become very inefficient for seating for solo travelers. CO used to try to address this with the 'TV lounge' theater like areas. But no solo travelers want to be there, and it seems to attract families & kids who want to watch TV. DL have become experts at space utilization in lounges - there are some lessons to be learned there.

Last edited by HeadInTheClouds; Mar 25, 2016 at 10:10 am
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA, SW, US, DL
I have an ANA flight (out of D) to NRT. I have one time UA passes that I'd like to use.
1) Can I I walk from D to say, E and use the pass?
2) Is there a chance I could use the passes at NRT?
Thanks.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by slbnoob
I have an ANA flight (out of D) to NRT. I have one time UA passes that I'd like to use.
Thanks.
1. Yes. Short walk (relatively).
2. Yes. Probably better choice, though it can get rather crowded in UC.
Old Apr 2, 2016, 7:39 pm

I'm departing on LH out of terminal D in IAH, but have passes to visit the United Club in terminal E via the UA Visa card. I hate to sound like a newb, but...
1) will I have to leave / go back through security to go from D to E terminals?
2) is there food worth changing terminals for in the Club?
... on a slightly different subject...
3) does anyone know how to get passes to LH's club in FRA?
Thanks...
Old Apr 2, 2016, 8:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by citrusflyer
I'm departing on LH out of terminal D in IAH, but have passes to visit the United Club in terminal E via the UA Visa card. I hate to sound like a newb, but...
1) will I have to leave / go back through security to go from D to E terminals?
2) is there food worth changing terminals for in the Club?
... on a slightly different subject...
3) does anyone know how to get passes to LH's club in FRA?
Thanks...
1. No they're interconnected airside.
2. IMO there is no food in a UC that's worth walking more than 100 yards for. The coffee is now at least drinkable and the space is better than sitting in the terminal.
3. If you don't have *G access, you can buy a day pass. It's 25 Euro for the Business lounge and 50 Euro for the Arrivals lounge.
Old Apr 3, 2016, 2:08 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
Originally Posted by slbnoob
Thanks.
1) yes easily
2) nrt uc is much much better than iah. hkg and lhr are even nicer. but you can only use that lounge if you're connecting or originating in nrt.
also you do not need the physical card to get into the lounge, just the number below the barcode on the back.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 1:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold for life
Does anyone know what time they generally bring out the afternoon food offerings in IAH? I have an 1128am departure to PVR coming up in May but was hoping to try the new afternoon menu items before I depart.
Old Apr 10, 2016, 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by CIAO LAX
Does anyone know what time they generally bring out the afternoon food offerings in IAH? I have an 1128am departure to PVR coming up in May but was hoping to try the new afternoon menu items before I depart.
IME 11 ish, sometimes quarter till.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: CO GOLD
Originally Posted by Cuchulainn
There are only a couple of showers normally served by a single attendant who (in my experience) usually seems less than interested in working.
I observed the same about the attendant. I have experienced a sign saying "will be back in 10 minutes" on 2 separate weekday morning occasions this year so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.