Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An Interesting Exchange in Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:27 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by seanp7
"I pay your salary" is one of the most obnoxious things you can say to someone. I don't care how true or not true it is; it's not cool.
"Actually, sir, I checked, and the revenue from your travel goes to help pay for our lavatory cleaning supplies."

Can you imagine if this guy had been first on the upgrade list and UA (deservedly) gave the seat to the wounded soldier?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:40 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
For this jerk, I would have told the guy that the flight attendant will give *all* MileagePlus members a "special welcome" later in the announcement - just wait for it.
pigzilla likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:42 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 757FO
A quick story from the flight deck...

The other day I was kicking off a trip, and we had a combat wounded veteran flying in the Polaris cabin. The GA who is a friend of mine made me aware of his presence. Boarding was underway, but I had a few minutes and wanted to introduce myself one veteran to another, and thank him for his service. I did so, and we had a pleasant exchange. As I turned to head back to the flight deck, a passenger 2 row's ahead, who had clearly heard our conversation says rather loudly, "Hey Captain, why are you thanking him? I'm a United 1K, and spend 45K a year flying your airline, where is my thanks?" To be honest, his comment stopped me in my tracks, and for a second I didn't know what to say. I smiled at him, said thank you, and that while I appreciated his business, I also appreciated the sacrifice a solider made in defense of our country. His reply?? "Who cares guys like me pay your salary." I looked him square in the eye, and told him to fly another airline next time.

I'm still bothered by the whole thing, 2 days later....
Thank you for doing what you did and for your response to the idiot with the inflated ego. I don't blame you for being bothered by it -- I'm bothered and I didn't even have the first-hand contact you did.
757FO likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
I won't even read the Please Recognize 1Ks thread, as I'm afraid some of the posts will anger me. I've seen all manner of ridiculous behavior over the years, and if I had to guess, a decent percentage of that behavior has come from 1K members, experienced directly, or from feedback by a GA or FA. Curiously enough, I don't ever recall a Global Services customer give anyone a hard time, but other crew may disagree with me on that one.
most of the responses are that ppl couldn’t care less if they’re recognized individually, they would just like/want overall service and quality of F&B to increase… the thread is in response to a United memo requesting employees to acknowledge their better customers.

Interpret how you want that they (Mgmt) have to make that request in the first place…
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:46 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
The 1K member was in the wrong, and your actions were completely justified.

I've seen all manner of ridiculous behavior over the years, and if I had to guess, a decent percentage of that behavior has come from 1K members
It is wrong of your to judge a category of your customers based on a guess. If you find 1Ks intolerable, perhaps you should fly for another airline.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EWR764
I am hoping against hope this person isn't among our "ranks"... one can say what they will about politics, but this sort of behavior is a reason crewmembers often view FFers derisively.
I kind of hope he is on FT and can see the response to his insensitive and utterly stupid remark. $45K on airfare? Great -- more than I typically spend but far below what a lot of people on this board do. OTOH, with a remark like that, he's certainly got everyone else on this forum beat on the DYKWIA meter.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:01 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
A quick story from the flight deck...

The other day I was kicking off a trip, and we had a combat wounded veteran flying in the Polaris cabin. The GA who is a friend of mine made me aware of his presence. Boarding was underway, but I had a few minutes and wanted to introduce myself one veteran to another, and thank him for his service. I did so, and we had a pleasant exchange. As I turned to head back to the flight deck, a passenger 2 row's ahead, who had clearly heard our conversation says rather loudly, "Hey Captain, why are you thanking him? I'm a United 1K, and spend 45K a year flying your airline, where is my thanks?" To be honest, his comment stopped me in my tracks, and for a second I didn't know what to say. I smiled at him, said thank you, and that while I appreciated his business, I also appreciated the sacrifice a solider made in defense of our country. His reply?? "Who cares guys like me pay your salary." I looked him square in the eye, and told him to fly another airline next time.

I'm still bothered by the whole thing, 2 days later....
this story gave me a great idea. All of the perspective on FlyerTalk is from the frequent flyer. I think it would be a great idea to create a thread for united employees to share their experiences with passengers. Who know maybe we could get some legendary stories. What do y'all think?
tcdtcd and ExplorerWannabe like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Sigh. We are all doomed. Thanks 757FO for the restraint and also for resetting the obnoxious pax's perspective; both were totally appropriate for what little my opinion is worth. Sorry it's bothering you - hopefully the next few days will be more good experiences to smother that one. Sheesh.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:33 am

<this story gave me a great idea. All of the perspective on FlyerTalk is from the frequent flyer. I think it would be a great idea to create a thread for united employees to share their experiences with passengers. Who know maybe we could get some legendary stories. What do y'all think?>

Facebook killed AirlineCrew.net. At CAL we had a very active forum, mostly union battling but a fair amount of war stories also.I prefer the annonyminty(sp) of these types of forums, just like many keyboard commandos on this site like to talk a big game here on FT. There are some posters here that hate everything United & the employees 24/7, not sure why they patronize the airline if its so <fill in the blank>

A few years ago a poster here added a link to ac.net & was aghast to see some of the comments. It was like eavesdropping backstage hehehe. UA’s strict social media policy for employees also hinders discussions more than ever. Once in a while i’ll ask a GS or 1K if they read or saw something on FT, many roll their eyes.

Last edited by featheroleather; Apr 27, 2021 at 1:10 pm
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
The 1K member was in the wrong, and your actions were completely justified.

It is wrong of your to judge a category of your customers based on a guess. If you find 1Ks intolerable, perhaps you should fly for another airline.
There is always one in the group. That WAS NOT what I said.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:39 am

Programs: AA sPLAT, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you sir for your service, recognizing another veteran and being a gentleman. I would fly on your plane anytime!
MAC
USN 1981-1987
ExplorerWannabe and 757FO like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 11:49 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
The 1K's ego obviously doesn't get enough attention in life, so he's actively looking for more attention. Giving him zero attention would probably be the best solution in this case.
ExplorerWannabe and 757FO like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by featheroleather
<this story gave me a great idea. All of the perspective on FlyerTalk is from the frequent flyer. I think it would be a great idea to create a thread for united employees to share their experiences with passengers. Who know maybe we could get some legendary stories. What do y'all think?>

Facebook killed AirlineCrew.net. At CAL we had a very active forum, mostly union battling but a fair amount of war stories also.I prefer the annonyminty(sp) of these types of forums, just like many keyboard commandos on this site like to talk a big game here on FT. There are some posters here that hate everything United & the employees 24/7, not sure why they patronize the airline if its so <fill in the blank>

A few years ago a poster here added a link to ac.net & was aghast to see some of the comments. It was like eavesdropping backstage hehehe. UA’s strict social media policy for employees also hinders discussions more than ever. Once in a while i’ll ask a GS or 1K if they read or saw something on FT, many roll their eyes.
are there any places left where airline employees communicate or have they all been killed off?
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
are there any places left where airline employees communicate or have they all been killed off?
There are private groups on Facebook and elsewhere, but you need to show/verify employment to get in.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:11 pm
Suspended

Smile

There are private groups on Facebook and elsewhere, but you need to show/verify employment to get in.
well that makes sense I wouldn't want a scrub like me in them

Last edited by united 1k flyer; Apr 27, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.