An Interesting Exchange in Polaris

Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:31 pm

What baffles me is that people who behave like this must learn it from somewhere. It's like if someone is behaving badly then some people think "Wow. I never want to act like that." and other people think "Oh interesting!".
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by 757FO
I like being a button pusher, makes me feel like George Jetson.
You must be a child of the Magenta Line
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:59 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by 757FO
I like being a button pusher, makes me feel like George Jetson.
I might not be any good at flying an airplane, but I can type 80 wpm!
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:21 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
I can type 80 wpm too.
wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Sorry, lost count.
TravelToNom likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by jcf27
You must be a child of the Magenta Line
Speaking of which, that's the opposite challenge. Not becoming too reliant on the automation.

My check ride, earlier this month, involved a simulated flight from IAD to EWR. The "flight" started with one of the (two) autopilots inoperative. Not long after takeoff, the other autopilot failed, too. That left me hand-flying the rest of the "flight" which included complications such as a passenger's phone catching fire, holding, a go-around due to excessive crosswinds, and a charted visual approach to a relatively short runway.

If it's not one thing, it's another!
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 4mm / Free Agent / GE / Secret Handshake
Originally Posted by LarryJ
Speaking of which, that's the opposite challenge. Not becoming too reliant on the automation.

My check ride, earlier this month, involved a simulated flight from IAD to EWR. The "flight" started with one of the (two) autopilots inoperative. Not long after takeoff, the other autopilot failed, too. That left me hand-flying the rest of the "flight" which included complications such as a passenger's phone catching fire, holding, a go-around due to excessive crosswinds, and a charted visual approach to a relatively short runway.

If it's not one thing, it's another!
Great story! Thanks for sharing! That's flying - stick, rudder, power, pitch and raw data!
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by anteater
You handled that situation with professionalism. Thank you, Captain.

p.s. if I had been in your position I may have added a joke at the end that said passenger should reach GS before expecting a personalized thank you from the CO.
While I don't really have a problem with the story, I don't know how "professional" it is to tell a paying customer to fly another airline. OK, the guy was a jerk, but from the description, he wasn't actually causing any problems real problems, he just said something the pilot didn't like. As an employee, and being in a leadership position (of the plane), I think the employee should be held to a higher standard than the passengers. He thanked the 1K as well, he didn't have to go back and get in the last word. IMHO, I would think all the employees have a duty to make sure all the passengers are satisfied (beyond getting them to their destination safely), even the jerks

As for the jerk, I guess he got a dose of reality. It's obvious UA doesn't care about 1K's regardless of how much they spend.
Though, I've actually had a deadheading FA tell me that UA should treat 1K's better as "people like you pay our salaries".
kilo, fastair and J_Stroming like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, DL Diamond, NK Gold, Mariott LT Plat/Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Thank you for saying something and putting him in his place. I can't stand the behavior I see by elites and non-elites all the time (this has gotten worse during Covid and I've had several flights with police meeting passengers that refused to wear masks including one guy who threw a soda can at a flight attendant over mask non-compliance). I've been GS for many years and no surprise have spent a lot of time in the air on UA flights. It seems that the worst behavior comes from lower-level elite flyers. I remember a woman berating a FA and repeatedly saying "I'm silver and you better hope I don't file a complaint about you." I don't remember the full story but it was something minor. I handed the FA my business card while deplaning and told her that I'd be happy to write a note of needed. People need to focus on being nicer and listening to crew.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by jcf27
Great story! Thanks for sharing! That's flying - stick, rudder, power, pitch and raw data!
Well, don't go overboard. This isn't the Dark Ages. I still had my flight director! LOL
saxman66 likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by eng3
IMHO, I would think all the employees have a duty to make sure all the passengers are satisfied (beyond getting them to their destination safely), even the jerks.
If by "all employees" you are referring to inflight, then the FAA disagrees with you.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:57 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
This thread has played itself out and will remain closed. Let’s keep in mind Flyertalk’s mission which is “discussing how to optimize the use of miles, points and status for the enhancement of your travel experiences.”

l etoile
forum mod

Last edited by l etoile; Apr 29, 2021 at 5:24 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.