Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An Interesting Exchange in Polaris

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:39 am

Unlikely that he was a foreigner. US has the "snowflake" market pretty much cornered, I'm afraid.
demkr and SAPriorityTag like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:49 am

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
"I pay your salary" is one of the most obnoxious things you can say to someone. I don't care how true or not true it is; it's not cool.
SPN Lifer, EWR764, wrp96 and 7 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by clubord
Reading that makes me sick. You handled it well.

Worst I’ve experienced was last summer, some guy poked his head in the cockpit and said “Just fly the ####ing plane” and threw my thank you for being a 1K business card back at me as he was exiting the plane.

That still bothers me to this day.
Wow. I'm sorry this happened. Please don't let it stop you from writing notes. Most passengers are delighted by them!
SPN Lifer, EWR764, xzh445 and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:04 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, HHonors Diamond,PC, Marriott Rewards Gold
Originally Posted by seanp7
"I pay your salary" is one of the most obnoxious things you can say to someone. I don't care how true or not true it is; it's not cool.
this makes me so sad. Thank YOU for your service.
SPN Lifer and 757FO like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by warakorn
Since you have mentioned the Polaris product. That product is/was offered mainly on international routes.

Praising loudly a US military veteran outside of the US, can be considered offensive to some other passengers, because US military personal is not very popular.
Nope, we were in the United States at the time.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:13 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Thank you for your service, thank you for thanking your fellow veteran for their service and thank you for putting that "jerk" in their proper place
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by clubord
Reading that makes me sick. You handled it well.

Worst I’ve experienced was last summer, some guy poked his head in the cockpit and said “Just fly the ####ing plane” and threw my thank you for being a 1K business card back at me as he was exiting the plane.

That still bothers me to this day.
Thankfully I haven't experienced that one, but given I still have a few more years before retirement, the odds are I will.

I still enjoy being told the airplane flies itself, and I'm an overpaid button pusher. It's especially fun to hear after landing in a 40kt x-wind, almost down to minimums....
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
The common theme in rude behavior these days seems to stem from people's inability to:
  • Mind their own business (you do not need to verbalize every thought that enters your mind about other people's behavior, conversations, life choices, etc.)
  • Be polite and considerate of others (why unnecessarily go out of your way to put someone in a bad mood??)
Absolutely unbelievable.

The way people interact with strangers (sometimes especially when traveling) can be horrifying. Be nice, keep your comments to yourself, stop interfering with people and conversations you have no business in.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:44 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
There's a fine line between what's occurring in the "Please Recognize 1Ks" thread and...Wait, no...The line is not fine. It's the freaking 38th parallel between thanking a combat wounded veteran and all of the collective 'rest of us' whether we're 1Ks, Global Services or Ma/Pa Kettle.

Ridiculous.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
.... was fuer ein Vollidiot. Zum Fremdschaemen....

(sorry I can express my feelings best in German for this one)
kirkwoodj and ExplorerWannabe like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 27, 2021 at 10:12 am Reason: FT rules on Use of obscene or offensive language/material apply even if in German
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:55 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Duck1981
.... was fuer ein Vollidiot. Zum Fremdschaemen....

(sorry I can express my feelings best in German for this one)
I don't even speak German, and I get it! Well done.
Duck1981 likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 27, 2021 at 10:08 am Reason: quote updated to reflect Moderator edit
Old Apr 27, 2021, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MBS MillionMiler
There's a fine line between what's occurring in the "Please Recognize 1Ks" thread and...Wait, no...The line is not fine. It's the freaking 38th parallel between thanking a combat wounded veteran and all of the collective 'rest of us' whether we're 1Ks, Global Services or Ma/Pa Kettle.

Ridiculous.
I won't even read the Please Recognize 1Ks thread, as I'm afraid some of the posts will anger me. I've seen all manner of ridiculous behavior over the years, and if I had to guess, a decent percentage of that behavior has come from 1K members, experienced directly, or from feedback by a GA or FA. Curiously enough, I don't ever recall a Global Services customer give anyone a hard time, but other crew may disagree with me on that one.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:08 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
At first there was the part of me that was like "then everyone clapped" but then there was the part of me that's dealt with pax was overwhelming.
In sum, dude's a jerk.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by warakorn
So you would be ok for the cabin crew loudly praising a People's Liberation Army veteran on a flight out of US-American soil?
If I were on a Chinese carrier, I'd expect the same, so yes. Yes I would.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by 757FO
Thankfully I haven't experienced that one, but given I still have a few more years before retirement, the odds are I will.

I still enjoy being told the airplane flies itself, and I'm an overpaid button pusher. It's especially fun to hear after landing in a 40kt x-wind, almost down to minimums....
I'm not a pilot, don't play one on TV, but still have a tremendous appreciation for the skill it takes to fly some of the most complex machinery ever built. So thank you!

That said -- I also drive a Tesla. I hear people complain all the time about how their Autopilot is "false advertising"... Nothing could be further from the truth. It's about the most perfect description possible. Keeps the course and speed, and it's up to you to monitor and correct. Same thing as in your cockpit! Most folks just don't understand what autopilot is.... Calling you a "button pusher" or "bus driver" is unbelievably insulting! The old "If it's so easy, why the hell don't you do it?" comes to mind ...
SPN Lifer and 757FO like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.