An Interesting Exchange in Polaris

Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:14 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 757FO
There is always one in the group.
I agree.

That WAS NOT what I said.
What you said was "I've seen all manner of ridiculous behavior over the years, and if I had to guess, a decent percentage of that behavior has come from 1K members" and I said "It is wrong of your to judge a category of your customers based on a guess." I stand by the statement that you said you are judging 1K's based on bad behaviors of those you guess are 1K's and that you are wrong to do that. That may not be what you meant but it is what you said.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Ok, we can agree to disagree. My apologies if my comment offended you.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:39 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Thank you for your service and your decency. As many have said, you handled it substantially better than I would have.

With a similarly combative 1K berating a perfectly diligent FA once I called him on his "I'm a 1K and I spend XX THOUSANDS ON THIS AIRLINE!" with a "You must be bad at math because you'd be Global Services if that were even remotely true." Got him to at least shut up for the rest of the flight. That's how fragile the egos of these bozos are. They need to be made to feel important because they absolutely know they have nothing to offer of importance.
pigzilla likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Is anyone else refreshing the forum constantly hoping for a thread to appear with a title like, "UA pilot was rude to me!!"
Old Apr 27, 2021, 12:43 pm

I’m so sorry you had to deal with that.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead
IWhat you said was "I've seen all manner of ridiculous behavior over the years, and if I had to guess, a decent percentage of that behavior has come from 1K members" and I said "It is wrong of your to judge a category of your customers based on a guess." I stand by the statement that you said you are judging 1K's based on bad behaviors of those you guess are 1K's and that you are wrong to do that. That may not be what you meant but it is what you said.
Way to be technically correct while being substantively incorrect. Guessing that a decent percentage of the ridiculous behavior he's observed came from 1K members is not implying that most 1Ks are like that. @757FO's anecdote substantiates the premise that a certain population of 1Ks is prone to DYWKIA behavior. He didn't say or imply the majority of 1Ks behave that way.

If the miscreant in question is on FT, I sure hope he recognizes himself in this story and sees the blowback from other frequent fliers.
CIT85, SAPriorityTag and 757FO like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:54 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
757FO remember that people like that 1k customer are unhappy in their own skin. They compensate by trying to make others equally or more unhappy. Hopefully you can soon chuckle about at his inadequacies in human interaction instead of that rattled feeling. Some of the "loudest" people are also the most insecure people.
ExplorerWannabe and 757FO like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Drawing conclusions on a category of people based on guessed behavior is wrong. That's all I am saying.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:55 pm

Programs: 2MM United, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Plat
Buffoons walk amongst every day. Thank you for your professionalism and acknowledgment to someone who did it for service, not miles and recognition.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
This reminds me of what is now just an urban legend: Southwest had a serial complainer. Finally his complaints made it up to the legendary founder and CEO, Herb. Herb wrote back telling him that if he is so unhappy with their service than he should choose a different airline. He also told him to stop abusing his employees. While it's certainly possible a few bad apples existed, Herb knew there was no way he had that many bad employees.

This brings me to my second point. Making 1K was relatively easy last year. Perhaps this gentleman wouldn't have so easily made it to 1K in normal times and it got to his head. I know FA's can make reports about rude passengers if they want. Would a pilot do the same thing in this case? You know that guy may write in to complain.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
What would have been epic if you told the biz traveler that the crew did not feel comfortable with him onboard and ua has refunded his ticket so he can get thanked by another airline 👍😎
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:16 pm

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by seanp7
"I pay your salary" is one of the most obnoxious things you can say to someone. I don't care how true or not true it is; it's not cool.
Unless it is to a politician.... OK sorry for that one.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfk747
What would have been epic if you told the biz traveler that the crew did not feel comfortable with him onboard and ua has refunded his ticket so he can get thanked by another airline 👍😎
Lol, yes! We had some fun coming up with possible replies to him for when we landed, but obviously kept them to ourselves.

Originally Posted by saxman66
This reminds me of what is now just an urban legend: Southwest had a serial complainer. Finally his complaints made it up to the legendary founder and CEO, Herb. Herb wrote back telling him that if he is so unhappy with their service than he should choose a different airline. He also told him to stop abusing his employees. While it's certainly possible a few bad apples existed, Herb knew there was no way he had that many bad employees.

This brings me to my second point. Making 1K was relatively easy last year. Perhaps this gentleman wouldn't have so easily made it to 1K in normal times and it got to his head. I know FA's can make reports about rude passengers if they want. Would a pilot do the same thing in this case? You know that guy may write in to complain.
Yeah, it is possible he writes in to complain, but I'm not too worried about it. I actually told my chief pilot about it, and we had a laugh about the ridiculousness of the whole thing. And yes, I did share his name with the appropriate people at the airline as well.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Apr 27, 2021 at 5:06 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Apr 27, 2021, 4:33 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
I guess I look at it a little differently. If a passenger, regardless of status, needs to blow off some steam and picks me as the target, I'm okay with it. I have no need to prove to him that he's wrong. In fact, I think that listening then responding politely is more likely to help defuse the situation than other, possibly more personally satisfying, responses. Travel is stressful. I'd rather him vent to me than take it out on another passenger.

Originally Posted by dmurphynj
Most folks just don't understand what autopilot is.... Calling you a "button pusher" or "bus driver" is unbelievably insulting! The old "If it's so easy, why the hell don't you do it?" comes to mind ...
You're probably be surprised by how much of our training involves managing the automation and avoiding/correcting the mistakes that can be made with it.

There are private groups on Facebook and elsewhere, but you need to show/verify employment to get in.
https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ is one on which anyone can participate. If you ever get tired of watching passengers argue with one another, go there and you can watch pilots arguing with each other, instead.
jcf27, nnn, uanj and 5 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2021, 6:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LarryJ
I guess I look at it a little differently. If a passenger, regardless of status, needs to blow off some steam and picks me as the target, I'm okay with it. I have no need to prove to him that he's wrong. In fact, I think that listening then responding politely is more likely to help defuse the situation than other, possibly more personally satisfying, responses. Travel is stressful. I'd rather him vent to me than take it out on another passenger.

You're probably be surprised by how much of our training involves managing the automation and avoiding/correcting the mistakes that can be made with it.

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/ is one on which anyone can participate. If you ever get tired of watching passengers argue with one another, go there and you can watch pilots arguing with each other, instead.
I like being a button pusher, makes me feel like George Jetson.
nnn, MatthewLAX, ajGoes and 2 others like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.