Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag fees? mixed UA / partner flights; which apply MSC, DOT rules, elite/card benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag fees? mixed UA / partner flights; which apply MSC, DOT rules, elite/card benefits

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2018, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA *G. DL ̶G̶O̶L̶D̶ Member, Hilton/SPG Gold, Hertz PC

Hi guys sorry if this is specifically covered elsewhere but I couldn't find it. I have a UA ticket (016) Y fare AC flight YYZ-CLE. I'm UA *G on the UA page it says $25CAD 1st bag $35CAD 2nd bag. When I check on AC's website it says 1st bag free 2nd bag 36.75 CAD/USD. I called the premier line and she basically read off what it says on my UA itinerary with no extra information.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Thanks
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The UA site has a poor track record on partner flight bag fees. AC's rules will determine the bag fees for that flight.
Actually, I think that's only the case if the flight is AC-coded. If it's UA-coded, I think the UA rules should apply.

Regardless, I wouldn't trust their online calculator. I recently had to pay for my first bag as a *G (although I've since filed for a refund). The AC allowance should be one free bag for *G, whether you have a UA or AC flight number.
Old Jan 6, 2018, 10:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by AceReport
.... I have a UA ticket (016) Y fare AC flight YYZ-CLE. ....
. AC's rules will determine the bag fees for that flight.
Originally Posted by jsloan
Actually, I think that's only the case if the flight is AC-coded. If it's UA-coded, I think the UA rules should apply. ...
I read the OP as AC code but you are right more likely UA code and under the DOT rules the first marketing carrier rules apply.

... The AC allowance should be one free bag for *G, whether you have a UA or AC flight number.
As the checkinwill be with AC, that is where the elite benefits matter.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Actually, I think that's only the case if the flight is AC-coded. If it's UA-coded, I think the UA rules should apply.

Regardless, I wouldn't trust their online calculator. I recently had to pay for my first bag as a *G (although I've since filed for a refund). The AC allowance should be one free bag for *G, whether you have a UA or AC flight number.
I read the OP as AC code but you are right more likely UA code and under the DOT rules the first marketing carrier rules apply.

As the checkinwill be with AC, that is where the elite benefits matter.
Yep -- exactly. In this case, UA vs. AC flight number is a distinction without a difference for the first bag, since it should be waived due to *G either way. The second bag charge should depend upon whether the flight is coded as AC or UA.
Thanks for the insight. Yes it's AC flight number. AC check-in.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 5:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Thanks for the insight. Yes it's AC flight number. AC check-in.
It's actually three bags if ticketed before ~October 2017
Old Jan 27, 2018, 6:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
It's actually three bags if ticketed before ~October 2017

Followup, I was charged for the 2nd bag, 1st was free with UA *G, check in agent said that it used to be 3 bags but UA limited AC *G to 1 so AC reciprocated. Also it was a codeshare flight showing both UA and AC flight numbers. only $20 so I'm not to fussed about it.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Annoying. Thanks for the update - I have my AC baggage receipt that shows 3x, so I'll need to show that to make sure it's done properly.
Old Jan 29, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aacharya
Annoying. Thanks for the update - I have my AC baggage receipt that shows 3x, so I'll need to show that to make sure it's done properly.
For sure, id wager that 3rd bag will be expensive otherwise.
Old Jan 30, 2018, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For sure, id wager that 3rd bag will be expensive otherwise.
Especially as I plan on 3x70.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:04 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
I recently faced an issue related to this and would like to hear everybody's input. I purchased a 016 ticket IAD-AMS-LIS on W fare (outbound), with IAD-AMS on UA code and UA metal and AMS-LIS UA code and TP metal. For the return, I was on the same ticket, LIS-FRA on a V fare (TAP metal and TAP flight number) connecting onto FRA-SFO-LAX on a P fare (UA metal). Checking in at IAD with a 29kg bag with no charge. Then, on the return, I was charged 110 Euro by TAP for the same bag. I was not thinking clearly at the time and just paid the fee. When I got back, I researched on this some more. My conclusion is that I was supposed to have 32kg on my checked bag. I have written to TAP to ask for a refund three weeks ago. However, I have not heard back. What should be my next steps? Ask United? Dispute it with the credit card company? File a DOT complaint?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UALboy
My conclusion is that I was supposed to have 32kg on my checked bag.
Based on what? Your allowance should have been based upon the rules for the marketing carrier of the first flight in the itinerary -- UA. You should have had UA's US to Europe allowance -- zero or one bags, depending upon fare, at 23kg.

ETA: plus one bag for *G -- so 2x23kg, assuming no BE.*

*UA isn't selling BE on W fares for US origin points, so it seems like a safe assumption in this case.

Last edited by jsloan; Jan 25, 2019 at 2:15 pm
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Checking in at IAD with a 29kg bag with no charge. Then, on the return, I was charged 110 Euro by TAP for the same bag. I was not thinking clearly at the time and just paid the fee. When I got back, I researched on this some more. My conclusion is that I was supposed to have 32kg on my checked bag. I have written to TAP to ask for a refund three weeks ago. However, I have not heard back. What should be my next steps? Ask United? Dispute it with the credit card company? File a DOT complaint?
On the outbound, did you make use of your 1K or UA elite benefits?
If so, those would be different on the return. If UA Gold or high, you would get +1 bag based on the ticket allowance with check-in with TAP.
UA provides its elites higher bag allowance but other carriers are not required to honor the elite benefit UA provides, but just the standard ticket allowance (and for TAP any *A benefits).

Seem what happened, is what one would expect to have happened. Nothing to claim as a refund.
UA benefits are not protected under the DOT rules, just ticket allowances.

What did you UA ticket receipt state for the return bag allowance?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 2019 at 2:15 pm Reason: UA ticket receipt question
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:19 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I recently faced an issue related to this and would like to hear everybody's input. I purchased a 016 ticket IAD-AMS-LIS on W fare (outbound), with IAD-AMS on UA code and UA metal and AMS-LIS UA code and TP metal. For the return, I was on the same ticket, LIS-FRA on a V fare (TAP metal and TAP flight number) connecting onto FRA-SFO-LAX on a P fare (UA metal). Checking in at IAD with a 29kg bag with no charge. Then, on the return, I was charged 110 Euro by TAP for the same bag. I was not thinking clearly at the time and just paid the fee. When I got back, I researched on this some more. My conclusion is that I was supposed to have 32kg on my checked bag. I have written to TAP to ask for a refund three weeks ago. However, I have not heard back. What should be my next steps? Ask United? Dispute it with the credit card company? File a DOT complaint?
What did your eTicket Itinerary and Receipt said? I'm just asking because if it said 32 Kg for the return then you have some grounds to claim it.

As an example, I noticed that on one of my reservations ORD-FRA-GVA-FRA-ORD with the FRA-GVA-FRA on LH in W, my eTicket receipt says 32kg on the outbound but only 23kg on the return. My wife who has the same trip except that her reservation was ticketed after the upgrade to PZ on the FRA-ORD (with GVA-FRA still a W fare), her eTicket receipt says 32kg on the outbound and 32kg on the return.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM
Based on what? Your allowance should have been based upon the rules for the marketing carrier of the first flight in the itinerary -- UA. You should have had UA's US to Europe allowance -- zero or one bags, depending upon fare, at 23kg.

ETA: plus one bag for *G -- so 2x23kg, assuming no BE.*

*UA isn't selling BE on W fares for US origin points, so it seems like a safe assumption in this case.
After reading the DOT rules, I thought that my baggage allowance and fees at the beginning of the itinerary applies for the whole trip. So, my interpretation is that if I did not get charged for a 29kg bag on the outbound, I should not be charged on the return. But, if I am understanding you correctly, this is only true without the elite benefits.

On the outbound, did you make use of your 1K or UA elite benefits?
If so, those would be different on the return. If UA Gold or high, you would get +1 bag based on the ticket allowance with check-in with TAP.
UA provides its elites higher bag allowance but other carriers are not required to honor the elite benefit UA provides, but just the standard ticket allowance (and for TAP any *A benefits).

Seem what happened, is what one would expect to have happened. Nothing to claim as a refund.
UA benefits are not protected under the DOT rules, just ticket allowances.

What did you UA ticket receipt state for the return bag allowance?
My ticket receipt states that my first and second bag are free for up to 32kg, both for the outbound and return. That's why I thought I was interpreting the DOT rules in my favor. But, maybe it is yet another .bomb mistake?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 3:10 pm

After reading the DOT rules, I thought that my baggage allowance and fees at the beginning of the itinerary applies for the whole trip. So, my interpretation is that if I did not get charged for a 29kg bag on the outbound, I should not be charged on the return. But, if I am understanding you correctly, this is only true without the elite benefits.<br />
correct

My ticket receipt states that my first and second bag are free for up to 32kg, both for the outbound and return. That's why I thought I was interpreting the DOT rules in my favor. But, maybe it is yet another .bomb mistake?
You can complain to UA about misleading information but UA notes the table does not apply to other carriers

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 25, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.