FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bag fees? mixed UA / partner flights; which apply MSC, DOT rules, elite/card benefits
Old Jan 25, 2019, 2:19 pm
StuckinITH

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by UALboy
I recently faced an issue related to this and would like to hear everybody's input. I purchased a 016 ticket IAD-AMS-LIS on W fare (outbound), with IAD-AMS on UA code and UA metal and AMS-LIS UA code and TP metal. For the return, I was on the same ticket, LIS-FRA on a V fare (TAP metal and TAP flight number) connecting onto FRA-SFO-LAX on a P fare (UA metal). Checking in at IAD with a 29kg bag with no charge. Then, on the return, I was charged 110 Euro by TAP for the same bag. I was not thinking clearly at the time and just paid the fee. When I got back, I researched on this some more. My conclusion is that I was supposed to have 32kg on my checked bag. I have written to TAP to ask for a refund three weeks ago. However, I have not heard back. What should be my next steps? Ask United? Dispute it with the credit card company? File a DOT complaint?
What did your eTicket Itinerary and Receipt said? I'm just asking because if it said 32 Kg for the return then you have some grounds to claim it.

As an example, I noticed that on one of my reservations ORD-FRA-GVA-FRA-ORD with the FRA-GVA-FRA on LH in W, my eTicket receipt says 32kg on the outbound but only 23kg on the return. My wife who has the same trip except that her reservation was ticketed after the upgrade to PZ on the FRA-ORD (with GVA-FRA still a W fare), her eTicket receipt says 32kg on the outbound and 32kg on the return.