Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Bag fees? mixed UA / partner flights; which apply MSC, DOT rules, elite/card benefits

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bag fees? mixed UA / partner flights; which apply MSC, DOT rules, elite/card benefits

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2020, 5:59 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Welcome to FT!, kriss_na
yes
not allowed
US Dept of Transportation (DOT) rules require the return carrier at checkin to allow the same bag allowance on the return as was provided by the outgoing first marketing carrier (UA in this case)

AI and UA both being *A will interline the bags at DEL in each way

(All of the above is based on this is a single ticket)
Thank You, for your response. yes, I bought the ticket from United (EWR to VGA to EWR) but AI has their own reservation number. not sure if this is considered single ticket or not. The way they show the 2nd baggage on the ticket is $100 for outbound EWR to VGA on the return $0 VGA to DEL (AI may change depending on AI policy) and $100 DEL to EWR on UA.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Reservation numbers (PNR's) are irrelevant. What matters is whether this is one ticket. You can check this by looking up the e-ticket number on the UA website and then doing the same on AI for the AI segments. The two numbers should be the same. If not, you are on separate tickets.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 6:36 pm

I could not pull by eTicket no or AI PNR on AirIndia website. when called Air India said I need to pay DEL to VGA to DEL 500 INR Kg for 2nd bag.
Old Mar 10, 2020, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kriss_na
I could not pull by eTicket no or AI PNR on AirIndia website. when called Air India said I need to pay DEL to VGA to DEL 500 INR Kg for 2nd bag.
The agent was mistaken. Collecting a fee for a bag that has already been checked through to the final destination would be contrary to both standard industry practice and US DOT regulations. AI gets paid by UA. You don't need to pay them as well.

If you bought everything in one transaction, it's one ticket. While it's possible to book multiple, unrelated tickets for a single traveler inside a single PNR, United highly discourages that practice, and United.com won't do it. And it certainly wouldn't do it while you're in the middle of a single transaction.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:58 pm

Thank You, I bought it on united.com. I hope its's one time charge for the 2nd checked back each way.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Reservation numbers (PNR's) are irrelevant. What matters is whether this is one ticket. You can check this by looking up the e-ticket number on the UA website and then doing the same on AI for the AI segments. The two numbers should be the same. If not, you are on separate tickets.
interestingly I was able to pull up the PNR on Air India old website and its the same ticket number issued on United.com.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:09 am

Question United Business TATL itinerary, baggage fee?

My Business Class itinerary for MAD -IAH in 2021 issued by United in the fine print states that my first checked bag charge will be 120 euros. In compliance with US DOT checked baggage policies for your entire itinerary as determined by TAP.
United is using partner TAP Business Class to get me to FRA for the United TATL Polaris flight.

Wouldnt the most significant carrier rule be in effect with the free two checked bags policy of United?
Old Dec 17, 2020, 11:19 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by worldwidetraveler
My Business Class itinerary for MAD -IAH in 2021 issued by United in the fine print states that my first checked bag charge will be 120 euros. “In compliance with US DOT checked baggage policies for your entire itinerary as determined by TAP”.
United is using partner TAP Business Class to get me to FRA for the United TATL Polaris flight.

Wouldn’t the most significant carrier rule be in effect with the free two checked bags policy of United?
for travel to / from the USA, MSC is not the required policy. Instead the DOT rules, which state the first marketing carrier rules apply. TAP, as the first marketing (and also in this case, operating) carrier will determine the bag fees based on TAP's rules. Note the DOT allows that first carrier to use MSC as an alternative but TAP is not required to do that. However I would surprised if TAP made that choice in this case.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

for travel to / from the USA, MSC is not the required policy. Instead the DOT rules, which state the first marketing carrier rules apply. TAP, as the first marketing (and also in this case, operating) carrier will determine the bag fees based on TAP's rules. Note the DOT allows that first carrier to use MSC as an alternative but TAP is not required to do that. However I would surprised if TAP made that choice in this case.
That's assuming TAP is the marketing carrier. Although given the routing -- MAD-(LIS?)-FRA-IAH -- I assume this is an award flight, in which case the assumption is valid.
Old Dec 17, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
My Business Class itinerary for MAD -IAH in 2021 issued by United in the fine print states that my first checked bag charge will be 120 euros. In compliance with US DOT checked baggage policies for your entire itinerary as determined by TAP.

Wouldnt the most significant carrier rule be in effect with the free two checked bags policy of United?
UAs ticket receipts are almost always wrong when partner flights and bag allowance is the question. You will get your free bags when flying TAP business class to FRA
Old Dec 18, 2020, 7:42 am

Marketing carrier?

Originally Posted by cfischer
UAs ticket receipts are almost always wrong when partner flights and bag allowance is the question. You will get your free bags when flying TAP business class to FRA
The marketing carrier United issued the award ticket , and Business Class on TAP , from their website, does get free checked bags.
Thus I tend to agree with you that the United ticket receipt is wrong!
Old Dec 18, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The marketing carrier United issued the award ticket , and Business Class on TAP , from their website, does get free checked bags.
Thus I tend to agree with you that the United ticket receipt is wrong!
OK, then, yes, TAP's policies apply, and if their website says the bag is free -- which seems quite reasonable for business class -- you won't be charged. I have personally seen incorrect charges listed on the receipt, in this exact scenario, on multiple occasions.

UA is required by law to print the correct information on the receipt, but I don't think anyone gets too worried about it when the amount they're printing is too high.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 11:15 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA LT Plat 2MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
The marketing carrier United issued the award ticket , and Business Class on TAP , ....
For award tickets, UA uses native flight numbers.
So on an UA issued award ticket where the first flight is a partner flight, the partner is considered the marketing carrier for the purpose of the DOT bag rules.
However, if this was a paid ticket and the first flight was a UA codeshare, then the first flight marketing carrier is UA

As with all things to do with airline ticketing, it defies common logic.
Old Dec 18, 2020, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For award tickets, UA uses native flight numbers.
So on an UA issued award ticket where the first flight is a partner flight, the partner is considered the marketing carrier for the purpose of the DOT bag rules.
However, if this was a paid ticket and the first flight was a UA codeshare, then the first flight marketing carrier is UA

As with all things to do with airline ticketing, it defies common logic.
Oh, sorry, I misread what the OP was saying. WineCountryUA is absolutely correct here -- TP is the marketing carrier, which is why their rules apply.

My fault for using jargon without explaining it. :blush:
Old Apr 4, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: Aeroflot BONUS, UA Mileage Plus, VG Flying Club
Question Baggage Allotment for UA/ANA Intl Flight

I am Star Alliance Gold, flying a 2 segment international flight.

UA allows me 2 33kg bags. ANA offers 2 22kg bags (I am not sure if they allow more for *Gold status).

I check in with United. If my bags are more than 22 kg, what happens? Does United collect extra baggage fees for ANA?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.