Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What do you think of the recent UA changes in Changes fees?
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual AND No Standby fee/Free SDC all elites
64.35%
Good idea: No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual but NOT No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite
10.87%
Good idea: No Standby fee/Free SDC all elite but NOT No Domestic Change fee w/ no rebooking residual
7.83%
Neutral /don’t care about either
13.04%
Don’t like / think either is a good idea
3.91%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 30, 2020, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: DELee
Latest Update: 23 December 2021:

"Change fees are gone" (change fee waiver): https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#changefeesaregone
We've permanently gotten rid of change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. There also won't be change fees for other international travel originating in the U.S. Learn more

For all other standard Economy and premium cabin tickets, change fees are waived through January 31, 2022. Basic Economy tickets can only be changed if they’re issued by December 31, 2021, for travel commencing by December 31, 2021. See terms and conditions
(change fee waiver) Terms and Conditions: https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/notices.html#ChangeFeeTerms

Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and January 31, 2022, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through January 31, 2022, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

New fine print (1 April 2021)
  • You can change Basic Economy tickets without change fees if the ticket is issued by April 30, 2021,
  • and all other international travel without change fees if the ticket is issued by May 31, 2021.
  • If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit.
Updated 30 Sept 2021
Tickets: Applies to standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, and Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021.

Changes/Cancellations: Customers with Basic Economy fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and April 30, 2021, or between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, or standard fare tickets issued between March 3, 2020, and December 31, 2021, will be permitted to change without paying a change fee. If the new flight is priced higher, the customer may change for no change fee but must pay the fare difference. If the new flight is priced lower, the customer may change without paying a change fee, and standard fare tickets may be given residual value in the form of a future flight credit. If you purchased your ticket from a third-party agency, please check with the issuing agency for the rules of your ticket. Contract fares such as special bulk fares sold by travel agencies (e.g., opaque) may not be eligible for free changes. Any changes or cancellations must occur prior to ticketed travel date.

Please note: As of August 30, 2020, we no longer have change fees for most Economy and premium cabin tickets for flights within the U.S., or between the U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean. We also no longer have change fees for international travel originating in the U.S. For more information visit united.com/changefee.

Fare validity: This applies to all standard fare tickets issued through December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points-of-sale, all travel dates available for sale, provided ticket number starts with 016. It also applies to Basic Economy fare tickets issued through April 30, 2021 or Basic Economy tickets issued between May 1, 2021 and December 31, 2021 for travel commencing between August 11 and December 31, 2021, all destinations, all points of sale, provided the ticket number starts with 016.

Miscellaneous: Fares, fees, rules and offers are subject to change without notice. Seats are capacity-controlled and may not be available on all flights or days. Some fares are nonrefundable except during the first 24 hours after purchase. Other restrictions may apply.

Originally Posted by spartacusmcfly
I just went through the process on a post-April 1st itinerary and was issued the new FFC vs ETCs. The agent tried to explain the new FFCs in detail:

The Bad:
1. No more ETC
2. No transferability
3. No combinability
4. Given there is no combinability, there is no more date-pushing (meaning new expiration date is most favorable of combined cert dates)

The Good:
5. Can use multiple towards a single itinerary (up to 10 she said)
6. Can pull from multiple accounts (3 from yours, 3 from spouse), so you don't have to split the locator to use from multiple accounts
7. Can be used on partner itineraries as long as one segment is UA
8. The FFCs show up in the account of the recipient and the booker. So I can see my spouse's FFCs if I booked the itenerary
9. FFCs now show up as a payment method in the app booking flow. For multi-passenger FFCs, both passengers show up!

I can live with all this, in exchange for no change fees, and reclaiming residual!
The fine-print on the change rules:
  1. If the new ticket costs less, the residual value from the old ticket is lost
  2. Multiple cancelled reservations cannot be combined to pay for a more expensive ticket
  3. Strictly U.S. and Mexico or the Caribbean only (excludes Canada) and excludes Basic Economy and International flights
    1. Worldwide until Dec 31, 2020
United Airlines Permanently Eliminates Change Fees
Applies to all Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S.;
Airline also announces complimentary standby travel, becomes only U.S. airline that will let all customers in all classes of service fly same-day standby for free
With these new options, United gives more flexibility than any other U.S. carrier when customers' travel plans change
Video(1) Photos(1)

CHICAGO, Aug. 30, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- The only thing constant is change and at United Airlines, some of the fees associated with changes related to flying are gone for good. The carrier announced today that it is permanently getting rid of change fees on all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S., effective immediately. And starting on January 1, 2021, any United customer can fly standby for free on a flight departing the day of their travel regardless of the type of ticket or class of service, a first among U.S. carriers, while MileagePlus Premier members can confirm a seat on a different flight on the same day with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket if a seat in the same ticket fare class is available.

United is also extending its waiver for new tickets issued through December 31, 2020, to permit unlimited changes with no fee. This policy applies to all ticket types issued after March 3, 2020 and is valid for domestic and international travel. With these improvements, no U.S. airline gives their customers more flexibility when booking – and changing – their travel plans than United Airlines.

"Change is inevitable these days – but it's how we respond to it that matters most. When we hear from customers about where we can improve, getting rid of this fee is often the top request," said Scott Kirby, CEO of United Airlines, in a video message to customers. "Following previous tough times, airlines made difficult decisions to survive, sometimes at the expense of customer service. United Airlines won't be following that same playbook as we come out of this crisis. Instead, we're taking a completely different approach – and looking at new ways to serve our customers better."

The new change fee policy applies to all standard Economy and Premium cabin tickets for travel within the U.S. 50 states, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands and customers will not be limited in the number of times they adjust their flights.

Additionally, United is giving customers more flexibility to change their flights on the day of their travel so they can head home if a meeting ends earlier or enjoy a few more hours on vacation. With the ability to list for same-day standby for free, customers will now have an option to take a different flight with the same origin and destination airports as their original itinerary if space is available at departure. This enhanced option will be available to all customers for travel within the U.S. and to and from international destinations beginning on January 1, 2021. Customers who want to switch flights will be able to add themselves to the standby list through United's award-winning mobile app, on united.com or at the airport no later than 30 minutes prior to departure for domestic flights and one hour before departure on international flights.

The carrier is also improving the travel experience for its MileagePlus members including waiving all redeposit fees on award travel for flights changed or cancelled more than 30 days before departure and allowing all MileagePlus Premier members to confirm a different flight on the day of their travel. As a way to thank MileagePlus Premier members for their loyalty, beginning January 1, 2021, all Premier members will be able to confirm a seat for free on a different flight with the same departure and arrival cities as their original ticket. This expanded option will allow MileagePlus Silver members and above to confirm a new seat in the same ticket fare class if space is available. Earlier this year, United announced that it will extend status for MileagePlus Premier and Global Services members through January 2022. United also reduced thresholds for Premier qualification by 50 percent for each status level, to make reaching an even higher status tier easier.

For more information on United's new flexible travel policies, visit https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...hange-fee.html.

Related Threads
AA Eliminates Many Change Fees, Other Benefits 31 Aug 2020
Delta to Eliminate Change Fees on Domestic Tickets [Consolidated Thread]
Alaska Eliminates Change Fees (9/1/2020)

UA will extend BE/International change fee waiver (In response to AA?)
Print Wikipost

Change Fees "Gone For Good"(WW ex-USA,non-BE), credit for lower fare!, Intl&BE waiver

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by tbessie
Thanks for all this info, folks! A lot of stuff to learn and know!

Incidentally, I do know the difference between change fees and price differences when rebooking; I was more wondering if United was being "sneaky" by saying "no change fees" but enforced a price differential when I rebook anyway, to get back what would have been part of a change fee.

The explanations above make things clearer for me, at any rate. :-)

- Tim
They are taking a price differential - that’s it. Old price + $800, new price = $950 (these are just examples), you’re going to pay $150 at time of change. It’s always been this way, as noted upthread, with change fees in addition.

this is basically the same thing Southwest has been doing all these year. If you buy a Wanna Get Away fare in advance, then decide the day before travel to switch, those fares are likely much higher and you end up paying that.
tbessie likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by xliioper
If you are changing flights before departure of outbound, fares generally require using current fares and measuring advance purchase from the current date and you will pay any fare difference between what you paid and what is currently showing on flights.
It depends upon the fare, but many (most?) UA fares allow you to change the return if the outbound is not affected, even prior to the date of travel. I think somebody finally realized that it was silly to charge someone the walk-up fare if they made a (return) flight change the morning of their outbound, or potentially $0 if they made the same change the next morning.

You'll see it in the fare rules, something like this:

Code:
BEFORE DEPARTURE
...REPRICE USING CURRENTLY TICKETED/HISTORICAL FARE
          PROVIDED ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS ARE MET -
          --
          1. NO CHANGE 1ST FLIGHT COUPON / NO CHANGE TO
             FARE BREAKS
There will be more conditions than just the first one, but when you look at them in total, you'll generally find that they cover most situations.
tbessie and econ like this.
Old Jun 7, 2022, 5:44 pm

I'd like to thank the smart people of FlyerTalk here.

I had one way tickets (x3) booked a month ago for a December trip. Checking the fares today, they are about $36 cheaper. I chatted with the agent and simply asked for a $36 FFC, got the following response:
"Thank you. Upon checking here even if I reprice the ticket on my end, we cannot refund the $36 because this is the updated amount of your ticket."

I have absolutely no idea what that means, but after lurking this forum, I knew exactly what to do! Changed the flight to an earlier one, got $9 FFC immediately. Then changed it back to the originally booked itinerary, and to my nice surprise the fare had dropped about $13 further. I am guessing their pricing algorithm dropped the fares further after my 3 seats moved out of that specific fare class. I netted out to getting 3 $49 FFCs instead of the 3 $36 FFCs I thought I would get.

I now feel like a million bucks
renila and jsloan like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:23 pm

By the way, as a follow-up - I changed my return flight, paid the flight difference, and had to select a seat upgrade to be in the same seat (exit row, Economy Plus).

No problem there. But then after I finished the change, I saw that the seat upgrade was charged both for the old return flight AND the new return flight.

I called United support, and they issued a refund on the extra charge.

Weird that their site didn't automatically remove the old charge... ;-/

- Tim
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

By the way, as a follow-up - I changed my return flight, paid the flight difference, and had to select a seat upgrade to be in the same seat (exit row, Economy Plus).

No problem there. But then after I finished the change, I saw that the seat upgrade was charged both for the old return flight AND the new return flight.

I called United support, and they issued a refund on the extra charge.

Weird that their site didn't automatically remove the old charge... ;-/

- Tim
not weird at all if you paid attention to how this works.

if you buy an E+ seat, and then change flights, the fee gets refunded after that [orginal] flight takes off. So it would have done it automatically at that time. Would have happened the same way if you switched E+ seats on the same flight - they charge the extra, then auto-refund the existing purchase after the flight departs.

Plenty of reports of folks calling and getting it done earlier successfully, but that is not the normal process.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
not weird at all if you paid attention to how this works.
Actually, it is weird. We're just inured to it through experience.
nsx, SPN Lifer and tbessie like this.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jsloan
this is not just experience of pax. It’s the stated policy UA has for E+ refunds. Yes, it’s different than many refund policies for other companies or items, sure. And not ideal, sure. But this is the published way that UA refunds E+ purchases with changes.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emcampbe
this is not just experience of pax. It’s the stated policy UA has for E+ refunds. Yes, it’s different than many refund policies for other companies or items, sure. And not ideal, sure. But this is the published way that UA refunds E+ purchases with changes.
Didn't mean to imply otherwise. It's just, if we weren't familiar with that published policy, we'd probably find it weird. I certainly would.
tbessie likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 11:56 am

I agree - in most purchases everwhere else on the web, a change like this would trigger a refund immediately (or within a couple of days at worst).

For lack of me seeing any text saying when I'd get refunded, it looked like an error to my infrequent-flyer eyes. :-D

- Tim
jsloan likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree - in most purchases everwhere else on the web, a change like this would trigger a refund immediately (or within a couple of days at worst).

For lack of me seeing any text saying when I'd get refunded, it looked like an error to my infrequent-flyer eyes. :-D

- Tim
sure. We’re getting OT from change fees, but we are also, as a society, so intent on getting whatever it is so fast and easy that we don’t read what we are agreeing to (despite the advice lawyers would give to read the terms before buying). The term in question for E+ purchases is:
  • Refunds for Economy Plus purchases are processed automatically after scheduled departure in the event of flight cancellation or change to a different flight, when travel is completed in a standard United Economy seat, or when travel is completed in a seat of equal or greater value through the purchase of a premium cabin seating offer. If a Complimentary Premier Upgrade is issued, then the Economy Plus purchase is not eligible for a refund.

airlines actually act differently than many other businesses in a lot of ways. Currently, about to depart on an AC ticket which includes an NH segment to SIN. For that flight, I only have the option of picking seats near the back because seats in the first half-3/4 of Y cost to purchase. But I can’t even purchase those because it is an OAL ticket, and somehow in 2022 they can’t actually process this (IIRC, LH also used to be like this, but they changed the process now I think so they can accept payment on OAL tickets).

i suspect all of these processes were done this way to make it easier for the carriers to account for the purchases through whatever backend system they use, or because they were able to implement these charges more quickly than re-doing the system to do it in a way that is better for the customers. Not saying this is ideal - it’s not - but I suspect UA didn’t implement the refund procedure for E+ in a specific effort to hold $ from customers longer, but because it was the easiest way to account for the purchases, debits and credits, etc.
tbessie likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2022, 10:19 pm

I have a repricing question. Let's say I have a round trip ticket with the outbound and return each has a $500 fare. I want to change the return now to a different time with say $400 fare showing up. But let's say the fare class bought on the outbound is no longer available and the next fare up costs $600. So canceling he entire ticket and use the credit on a new ticket is out of question.

Now if I just change the return alone, is it going to be repriced as an entire new ticket (meaning higher price on the outbound and lower price on the return) or only on the one way segments that's changed? This is a hypothetical question, but I like to know what to expect. I would guess it should just be repriced on the one way that's changed, but I'm wondering if the agents/website will stick to that though. Thanks.

Last edited by fttc; Jun 14, 2022 at 10:32 pm
Old Jun 14, 2022, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fttc
Now if I just change the return alone, is it going to be repriced as an entire new ticket (meaning higher price on the outbound and lower price on the return) or only on the one way segments that's changed? This is a hypothetical question, but I like to know what to expect. I would guess it should just be repriced on the one way that's changed, but I'm wondering if the agents/website will stick to that though. Thanks.
Assuming all flights are UA-operated, I'd expect them to be able to hold the ticketed fare class for the outbound and reprice the return, if the new return fare is combinable with the current outbound, and if the original fare rules allow it (most do). If any of the flights are not UA-operated, the lack of inventory in the current fare bucket could cause a problem.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:31 am

Assuming all flights are UA-operated, I'd expect them to be able to hold the ticketed fare class for the outbound and reprice the return, if the new return fare is combinable with the current outbound, and if the original fare rules allow it (most do).
Yeah, agree that the fares need to be combinable.

If any of the flights are not UA-operated, the lack of inventory in the current fare bucket could cause a problem.
Do you mean "not UA published fare" instead of "not UA operated"? I would imagine who operates wouldn't matter. If UA publishes the fare and it's available for purchase, then the seats with that fare are available even if operated by non UA. Let me know if you are referring to something else. Thanks.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fttc
Do you mean "not UA published fare" instead of "not UA operated"? I would imagine who operates wouldn't matter. If UA publishes the fare and it's available for purchase, then the seats with that fare are available even if operated by non UA. Let me know if you are referring to something else. Thanks.
Sorry, I was referring to the flight you're not trying to change. For UA-operated flights, an agent should be able to hold the inventory even though it's not available for new ticket sales. For non-UA-operated flights, I'm not sure that they'll be able to do the same thing; it may fail to re-ticket.

I don't know, 100%, that this is would be a problem. It's merely a potential problem.
Old Jun 15, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL FO
I'm looking at a round trip IAD-NYC. I am going to fly the outbound but may need to cancel the return. If I do cancel the return after I've flown the outbound, will I keep the remaining value of the NYC-IAD flight in the form of a future flight credit? This is main cabin, not BE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.