Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:46 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by NikoLGA
Huh! Is that the only club in the system that has contract agents?
Does the PHX UC use contracted staff?
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:09 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by kevflyer
NRT has employees I believe. I'm not sure about LHR and MEX.
MEX is staffed by UA employees.
kevflyer likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
Does the PHX UC use contracted staff?
No, they were (before the closure) real UA employees.

I was there last, in 2015.
Old Jun 15, 2020, 10:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Unrelated to any of the closing domiciles, but a nice video from my favorite base, HNLSW:

Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: united airlines
Narita Flight Attendant Base to Close, 30 September

Sad to see the Narita Flight Attendant Base closing. It will affect over 270 employees. Probably will affect future United flights into and out of Narita.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Terrible news. So many years for me on UAUA via NRT - great people, excellent service on board. Wishing every impacted employee and family the best.

As an aside, NRT ground staff rocks too.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by airforcevet123
Sad to see the Narita Flight Attendant Base closing. It will affect over 270 employees. Probably will affect future United flights into and out of Narita.
Announced back in June: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-closing.html

Its only appearing in feeds this morning because NHK ran a story over the weekend.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
Announced back in June: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...s-closing.html

Its only appearing in feeds this morning because NHK ran a story over the weekend.
Yes, but it is still not too late to postpone such a close. UA will need the base once Japan reopens with some sort of testing policy.

David
Old Sep 14, 2020, 12:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by DELee
Yes, but it is still not too late to postpone such a close. UA will need the base once Japan reopens with some sort of testing policy. ...
Would air carrier personnel be doing testing? Certainty not FAs. Seems more likely testing will be handled by governmental / airport personnel.
Closing an FA base does not preclude have locally hired staff for other roles.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
I heard UA's FAs union underwent expedited arbitration to save their job, and they are supposed to hear a decision this week???
If that doesn't work, I believe those FAs of foreign nationals will sue UA...

Last edited by MrJBoy; Sep 15, 2020 at 12:50 pm
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
I heard UA's FAs union underwent expedited arbitration to save their job, and they are supposed to hear a decision this week???If that doesn't work, I believe those FAs of foreign nationals will sue UA...
I understood the arbitration was not about stopping the closing of the bases, but forcing UA to open up vacancies at other domiciles.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780
I understood the arbitration was not about stopping the closing of the bases, but forcing UA to open up vacancies at other domiciles.
Correct. It was basically about whether UA has to create enough vacancies at LHR (the only remaining non-U.S. domicile after these closures) to accommodate the F/As from the domiciles being closed who cannot legally be based in the U.S. due to immigration reasons; or if UA only has an obligation to open up positions in the U.S., leaving those who cannot legally be based in the U.S. out of luck.

As I understand it, it came down to this: The CBA states that in the event of a "surplus" (an overage of F/As at a particular location) or base closure, the Company has to make enough vacancies available at other domiciles to accommodate the surplussed F/As. The Company's position is that it has the sole right to determine where those vacancies are (the CBA language references "vacancies determined by the Company across the system" (my emphasis)). So it can say there are only vacancies at U.S. domiciles. It does not have the obligation to create a surplus at LHR, which there would be if enough F/As from the closing domiciles go there.

The Union OTOH appears to be saying it makes no sense for the Company to only be obligated to create vacancies in the U.S. in this case, where many of the affected F/As cannot legally transfer to; rather, the Company has an obligation to make vacancies available at locations where the surplussed F/As can legally work (unless their seniority would not otherwise permit them to survive the imminent involuntary furloughs / layoffs effective Oct. 1).

Again this is just my understanding based on assumptions I made based on what info I could find. I have no opinion one way or the other on which side is right or should prevail. If someone who was directly involved or who has insider info wants to correct me or add insight, my feelings will not be hurt and in fact I would appreciate it. It is an interesting issue.
SPN Lifer and jhayes_1780 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 5:01 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
Originally Posted by Bear96
Again this is just my understanding based on assumptions I made based on what info I could find. I have no opinion one way or the other on which side is right or should prevail. If someone who was directly involved or who has insider info wants to correct me or add insight, my feelings will not be hurt and in fact I would appreciate it. It is an interesting issue.
I won't get into the minutiae of the argument, but you have the basic premise down.

There's years of system board decisions to go through and a whole slew of previous letters that I'm sure were argued on at the arbitration. From my understanding, it's already been heard and a decision was supposed to be announced very soon.
SPN Lifer, goodeats21 and DELee like this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:30 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by fezzington
There's years of system board decisions to go through and a whole slew of previous letters that I'm sure were argued on at the arbitration.
ISTR that the union used examples of the handling of previously closed domiciles -- CDG comes to mind -- that supposedly set a precedent and supported the union's position.
fezzington likes this.
Old Sep 22, 2020, 7:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Ruling On Overseas Base Closures

It was my understanding that there had been a challenge on how UA was displacing/re assigning people around the planned overseas base closures and this was sent to arbitration .
I thought the ruling date had passed . Have I missed the out come ? or is it still pending

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 22, 2020 at 8:15 pm Reason: moved to existing discussion

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.