Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2020, 8:28 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by garykung
Won't that cost more to UA? The cost for Day 2 and 4 was eliminated by HKG crews?

Also, how about:

1. The aircraft? Using the pre-COVID-19 schedule as the blueprint, there would be 1 B772, i.e. the one for EWR-HKG available?

Note - because the 2 SFO-HKG B772/Ws turned around within hours, it is impossible to make SFO-HKG-SIN works unless UA eliminate the night flight. Also - HKG-EWR scheduling was not exactly a match the former SIN-HKG

2. Transit passengers?
If we get back to anywhere near pre-COVID levels, HKG-SIN is gone because there would be sufficient demand for at least one, if not both SFO-SIN flights.

All of your questions are easily addressed and have nothing to do with a FA domicile.
Bear96, SPN Lifer and UA_Flyer like this.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Bear96
Cost more than what? Did you factor in the costs of maintaining a domicile in HKG and all that entails, as I mentioned before? Do you think UA didn't run those numbers?
Yes. FWIW - even without a FA base, UA still has a sale office in Hong Kong, with a very expensive rent.

All of this is irrelevant in terms of maintaining a F/A domicile in HKG.

Maybe we are not even talking about the same thing any more. I can't really tell.
I feel the same somehow.

But I stand my ground - no HKG crew, no HKG-SIN.

Originally Posted by EWR764
If we get back to anywhere near pre-COVID levels, HKG-SIN is gone because there would be sufficient demand for at least one, if not both SFO-SIN flights.

All of your questions are easily addressed and have nothing to do with a FA domicile.
We can all agree to disagree. But I can tell we are way beyond.
Old Jun 6, 2020, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For HKG-SIN to be able to operate, you will need a team of Asian based crews. U.S. crews can't do that for various reasons.
Fair enough.

I took your first quote to mean for various *legal* reasons, as in U.S. crews are not legally allowed to operate HKG-SIN due to some bilateral aviation freedom (or something) agreement restrictions.

Now you seem to be saying that the incremental costs of UA operating HKG-SIN without a HKG F/A domicile might make that route economically unviable, You very well might be right, so no argument from me on that point. Neither of us has the data to be sure.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 12:18 am
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
No. Reductions in force like involuntary furloughs are done by system seniority, not by base.
You know what might be confusing?

(1) UA closing the HKG/NRT/FRA bases and having those eligible F/As displace into USA domiciles where vacancies are designated by UA on 01-Oct.
(2) The supposed system-wide involuntary furlough coming, also on 01-Oct.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer

The flight is bookable on United.com and United App as well.

https://downloads.regulations.gov/DO...tachment_1.pdf

UA869 dep SFO 1340 arr HKG 1845+1
UA869 dep HKG 20:45+1 arr SIN 0035+2
UA862 dep SIN 0600 arr HKG 0945
UA862 dep HKG 1130 arr SFO 0910

Flights will be operated using 787-9

Hope we are all on the same page now that the HKG-SIN-HKG flights will take place not IF it will take place..
What date does this start ?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist

ORD-HKG and HKG-SIN were operated by different crews.
They actually rotate frequently, ORD-HKG used to be half ORD base and half HKG base, then after that it changed to one month ORD base, one month HKG base, then later on changed to HKG base only.

The way i know HKG-SIN can be flown by ORD base is because i flew ORD-HKG enough through the years that i became friends with 4 pursers that are senior enough that can actually hold ORD-HKG as pursers, they showed me the lines they can bid on, one of them was ORD-HKG and HKG-SIN.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
What date does this start ?
July 6th is the first date. I hope you take this flight before it is gone. I know you would love it.
iluv2fly likes this.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:12 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Forgive my ignorance, but how does this affect the ROUTE to NRT, for instance? Is the route still being run, but with U.S-based crews only that just get the mandatory rest period and hop back on the next day to the U.S.?
Old Jun 7, 2020, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Forgive my ignorance, but how does this affect the ROUTE to NRT, for instance? Is the route still being run, but with U.S-based crews only that just get the mandatory rest period and hop back on the next day to the U.S.?
IMHO - Practically none.

FRA, HKG and NRT shared a common characteristic in the past - each of these destinations had at least 1 5th freedom flight - FRA-KWI, HKG-SGN/SIN, NRT-ICN.

But now all the 5th freedom flights are all gone. So these based crews are simply the replacement for the U.S. crews.

It is also why HKG is discussed more because HKG-SIN just resumed.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
It takes about 150 FAs to fly a daily 30-hour round trip route, so if the HKG base had always been about 300, with HKG-SIN they could not staff 2 HK-US routes completely. It was probably the termination of SIN that gave them both SFO and ORD. After UA/CO merge HKG base flew EWR too. Then when ORD was cut in late 2019, and HKG-EWR staffing remained mixed (EWR/HKG), the HKG base was given W-pattern routes like SFO-HND, SFO-ICN, and even EWR-LHR.

Someone can enlighten us, I don't think non-US national/LPR crew can commute to work legally from a US base.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: United Gold
Yes. FWIW - even without a FA base, UA still has a sale office in Hong Kong, with a very expensive rent.

I feel the same somehow.

not sure why I am going to try to explain for the fifth time but here goes..

the HKG-SIN route should start In July. HKG domicile ends October. There would be three months for those crews to work the flight

clearly, UA hopes to fly direct SFO-SIN by then. If not perhaps they delay the closure a month or so.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Someone can enlighten us, I don't think non-US national/LPR crew can commute to work legally from a US base.
They can.

I was educated in this topic previously. While non-US national/LPR can't perform domestic duties, they can still use the D visa to perform necessary international duty. For example, a former HKG crew can be reassign to SFO (very likely in this case) base and continue to work on SFO-HKG. If necessary, the crew can be deadheaded to EWR for EWR-HKG. But the crew can't work on the P.S. route, i.e. SFO-EWR.

Based on my reading, the operating base concepts applies to fishing vessels, not aircraft.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 6:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
They can.

I was educated in this topic previously. While non-US national/LPR can't perform domestic duties, they can still use the D visa to perform necessary international duty. For example, a former HKG crew can be reassign to SFO (very likely in this case) base and continue to work on SFO-HKG. If necessary, the crew can be deadheaded to EWR for EWR-HKG. But the crew can't work on the P.S. route, i.e. SFO-EWR.

Based on my reading, the operating base concepts applies to fishing vessels, not aircraft.
That is my understanding as well.

However, as there are no provisions in the CBA to "fence off" domestic vs international flying (like there was at PMCO prior to October 2018, and at PMUA years ago), there would need to be some form of LOA between AFA and UAL where these folks are allowed to only work those trips (and essentially bid out of seniority order for them). That is, of course, assuming there is the appetite for that on both sides -- and I don't know that there is.
Old Jun 7, 2020, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington

However, as there are no provisions in the CBA to "fence off" domestic vs international flying (like there was at PMCO prior to October 2018, and at PMUA years ago), there would need to be some form of LOA between AFA and UAL where these folks are allowed to only work those trips (and essentially bid out of seniority order for them). That is, of course, assuming there is the appetite for that on both sides -- and I don't know that there is.
I don't think they need to do this, given that this is a legal constraint that neither UA nor AFA has control. Beside - I would believe that AFA's ultimate objective is to avoid layoff as much as possible.

So I don't think AFA would mind at all.
Old Jun 8, 2020, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fezzington

I am not sure I understand what you mean by this, but under the current CBA UA would be able to schedule HKG-based F/As to work HKG-SFO, deadhead SFO-EWR and then work EWR-HKG.

Inefficient, yes; but no LoA necessary and nothing out-of-seniority about it (assuming such a trip is awarded to HKG-based F/As in seniority order).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.