Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2022, 11:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by narvik
Can you be a little more descriptive?
Click some random YT link ---> probably goes to Rick Astley.
You mean Yung Gravy

Really hoping the NRT and HKG base folks can get back in the mix - lots of great employees in those groups!
MatthewLAX, wpcoe, tcdtcd and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by angetenar
So I read through the second link and it seems like what's happening is that:
1. International crew bases in HKG, NRT, and FRA were closed because of covid
2. A lot of them couldn't just move to the US because of visa things
3. There was an agreement to rehire them if they could get the necessary documentation or if the London base was hiring
4. The agreement expires March 31, 2023
5. United is hiring a lot right now
6. The union believes that United should rehire (help with visa stuff? unclear) the staff formerly located at the international crew bases
2. It's not easy to get a working visa here in the US. It's involved with the US immigration law. The company just can't sponsor foreign workers. There are some minimum requirements such as specific BS degree etc depending on the job requirements. I believe FA is not considered as a skilled worker according to the US immigration laws, so the hardle is much higher than we think unless UA hires those affected FAs in their countries that UA doesn't want to do that anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.