Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020, 1:51 pm
formerly 1984SW

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MrJBoy
Source? A friend of mine is one of the foreign base crews and he just told me what the situations are now...
I don't think I want to introduce my friend to you, LOL
I was based in one of those domiciles and have *many* friends who would love to be told their employment was extended to 10/30/2020. They have all been quite actively involved in dealing with separation or retirement as of the end of September. They have heard nothing of this extension, nor have I. I also get the almost-daily union e-mails, and not a single one of them has referenced an extension to the end of October.
fezzington likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
They pay US taxes and social security etc.
Unless they are US citizens or residents, they do not.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 12:31 am

Looks like there may be a first incident somewhat related to NRT base closure. Wed 11/11 871 77W SFO-TPE had medical diversion to GUM instead of NRT. It was flying the filed route over 24N150E roughly halfway between both. No more crew at NRT capable to take over the continuation, esp with COVID flight reductions.

Not that they utilized any GUM crew who probably can’t operate the 77W. The SFO crew timed out and along with pax rested 18 hours in GovGuam designated quarantine hotel. Fri 11/13 they apparently operated 871/872 GUM-TPE-HNL (immediate turn) with TPE-SFO pax stay onboard during a 70-min crew change and arrived SFO 6 hours late.
Old Nov 14, 2020, 1:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by HkCaGu
Looks like there may be a first incident somewhat related to NRT base closure. Wed 11/11 871 77W SFO-TPE had medical diversion to GUM instead of NRT. It was flying the filed route over 24N150E roughly halfway between both. No more crew at NRT capable to take over the continuation, esp with COVID flight reductions.

Not that they utilized any GUM crew who probably can’t operate the 77W. The SFO crew timed out and along with pax rested 18 hours in GovGuam designated quarantine hotel. Fri 11/13 they apparently operated 871/872 GUM-TPE-HNL (immediate turn) with TPE-SFO pax stay onboard during a 70-min crew change and arrived SFO 6 hours late.
I don't believe they are related at all.

First - seriously, picking an airport for medical diversion?

Second, I know it is not exactly maths. But based on the coordinates, GUM is indeed a closer airport than NRT. GUM is about 10S6W from 24N150E. But NRT is about 11N10W from 24N150E.

Final but not the least - if a choice can be made, a diversion to GUM is better than NRT. At the minimum, there is no visa concern.
SPN Lifer and ual744777sta like this.
Old Apr 23, 2021, 7:55 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
I heard UA's FAs union underwent expedited arbitration to save their job, and they are supposed to hear a decision this week???
If that doesn't work, I believe those FAs of foreign nationals will sue UA...
And they have.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0na/032000c

TOKYO -- Eighty-three former flight attendants of United Airlines Inc. have filed a class action lawsuit with the Tokyo District Court against the major American airline company seeking confirmation of their employment status and payment of wages, arguing that they were unfairly dismissed due to the effects of the coronavirus pandemic.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:17 am

Programs: united
up to 535 international flight attendants charge UA with discrimination

Apparently this arises out of the complexities of COVID furloughs. They are claiming international FA's were left out in the cold by UA's contractions in its work force.

https://qz.com/2059537/former-flight-attendants-accuse-united-airlines-of-discrimination/?utm_source=YPL
Old Sep 17, 2021, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dilanesp
Apparently this arises out of the complexities of COVID furloughs. They are claiming international FA's were left out in the cold by UA's contractions in its work force.

https://qz.com/2059537/former-flight...utm_source=YPL
From the article:

"535 other flight attendants [were fired] who were not US citizens but were on US contracts in United’s international bases in Tokyo, Frankfurt, and Hong Kong."

"They claim they’ve been subjected to discrimination on the grounds of their nationality. Her dismissal, one flight attendant wrote in her EEOC complaint, was 'in violation of Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964,' which addresses employment discrimination on the grounds of 'race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.'"

Id.
TPACjv likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2021, 2:26 pm

Programs: UA & AA 1 million miler
Originally Posted by dilanesp

https://qz.com/2059537/former-flight...utm_source=YPL
I know the Stuart in the article...it is so sad about the whole thing...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 19, 2021, 11:01 am
formerly 1984SW

I know the Stuart in the article...it is so sad about the whole thing...
I knew him very well. One of the best Pursers UA had. I had simply assumed he was allowed to transfer back to London. How very wrong I was... 🙁
MrJBoy likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2021, 7:30 am
formerly 1984SW

Originally Posted by mvogel
I was flying last week from SFO/LHR and the flight attendant was telling me how many LHR-based attendants have retired or left employ during the Covid period. She said that they probably just didn't have the staffing to increase the schedule especially very quickly.
Off topic, but yet UA decided to terminate non-U.S. F/As from NRT/HKG/FRA when they closed those domiciles rather than permit them to be able to transfer (or retain rights to be able to transfer in the future) to LHR. SMH

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 30, 2021 at 10:06 am Reason: moved to existing discussion
Old Oct 30, 2021, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by wpcoe
Off topic, but yet UA decided to terminate non-U.S. F/As from NRT/HKG/FRA when they closed those domiciles rather than permit them to be able to transfer (or retain rights to be able to transfer in the future) to LHR. SMH
And there were HK natives (probably majority but not all of non-US citizens in the HKG base) suddenly found themselves eligible for employment in the UK as a result of the BNO visa as of Aug 2020. Had LHR been accepting transfers they would have been eligible.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 3:48 am

UA employee treatment

does anybody have more info on this?

https://youtu.be/rIJWRFKJGvk

https://unitedafa.org/news/2022/8/17/reunited-bringing-our-colleagues-home
Old Aug 18, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Can you be a little more descriptive?
Click some random YT link ---> probably goes to Rick Astley.
Repooc17 likes this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:18 am

So I read through the second link and it seems like what's happening is that:
1. International crew bases in HKG, NRT, and FRA were closed because of covid
2. A lot of them couldn't just move to the US because of visa things
3. There was an agreement to rehire them if they could get the necessary documentation or if the London base was hiring
4. The agreement expires March 31, 2023
5. United is hiring a lot right now
6. The union believes that United should rehire (help with visa stuff? unclear) the staff formerly located at the international crew bases
cesco.g and narvik like this.
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:51 pm

UA is desperate to hire fa’s since newbies are quitting left & right for a myriad of reasons (low starting pay, crappy trips & reserve rules etc etc). All the airlines have lowered their standards but so many applicants cant pass the drug test, so UA is offering fa’s who took the last Voluntary $eperation a chance to come back but without their old seniority at all. No one I know thinks anyone will bite on that but it shows UA might not be as smart as they thought they were when they pushed seasoned fa’s(& others) out the door during covid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.