Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NRT, HKG and FRA FA Bases Closing (Oct 2020), re-assignment issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by garykung
That means one thing - UA will not resume HKG-SIN passenger service.
why not? Base closures do not take effect until 10/01.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
why not? Base closures do not take effect until 10/01.
For HKG-SIN to be able to operate, you will need a team of Asian based crews. U.S. crews can't do that for various reasons. GUM based crews might be able to do that, but UA terminated GUM-HKG.

And UA is not stupid to operate a route for only a few weeks.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

For HKG-SIN to be able to operate, you will need a team of Asian based crews. U.S. crews can't do that for various reasons.
I don't think this is correct. A U.S.-based crew can absolutely operate HKG-SIN on a U.S.-based airline to the best of my knowledge. But I am interested in hearing the "various reasons" they cannot in case I am incorrect.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by gengar
Would they even be allowed to? They might have better luck trying to gain refugee status in Taiwan, although I'm not entirely sure they'd want to work for the airlines there. (I actually have no idea how much HKG base FAs got/get paid, to be fair.)
They *might* be allowed permanent residency and even citizenship in the UK:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/03/w...ong-china.html
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
For HKG-SIN to be able to operate, you will need a team of Asian based crews. U.S. crews can't do that for various reasons. GUM based crews might be able to do that, but UA terminated GUM-HKG.

And UA is not stupid to operate a route for only a few weeks.
Not sure I understand it but it would be helpful to list the various reasons.

There were US crews doing MEL-SYD-SFO in the past and there was no FA base in MEL or SYD.

SQ operates SIN-FRA-JFK without EU or US based crew as far as I know.

Emirate exercise several of the fifth freedom flights and they don't have FA bases at all the cities where the fifth freedom flights are connected.

When I started flying intra-Asia fights out of NRT, many of the FAs were UA crew, and others are not necessarily based on the NRT. For example, NRT-PEK/SHA-PVG were using a mix of US, NRT, SIN or TPE based FAs.

Last edited by UA_Flyer; Jun 5, 2020 at 8:17 pm
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GoSh4rks
HKG crew were awesome. Understandable, but it'll be a loss.
HKG and NRT crew are outstanding. SIN was great base as well. So disappointed to see this and best wishes to all impacted employees and their families.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
HKG and NRT crew are outstanding. SIN was great base as well. So disappointed to see this and best wishes to all impacted employees and their families.
Well said! Some of the beet in business!

In this economic climate and with air travel not likely to rebound to pre-Covid 19 level for a couple of years at least, some of the FAs may be hard to find another airlines to work for and may need to change career and stay grounded for good.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
For HKG-SIN to be able to operate, you will need a team of Asian based crews..
Why? Genuinely curious.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 6:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
Just heard from a friend that they have internally communicated NRT, HKG and FRA bases will close in October, looks like LHR survived
I'm surprised that UA isn't trying to keep a FA base somewhere in Asia as it's cheaper, although with no prominent hub, there's no big flexibility advantage. Unless mainland China life restrictions, there's similarly no single Asian language for which it would be worthwhile to have a lot of FAs with local language skills (and cultural awareness).
Old Jun 5, 2020, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised that UA isn't trying to keep a FA base somewhere in Asia as it's cheaper, although with no prominent hub, there's no big flexibility advantage. Unless mainland China life restrictions, there's similarly no single Asian language for which it would be worthwhile to have a lot of FAs with local language skills (and cultural awareness).
UA’s partner NH can probably handle.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm surprised that UA isn't trying to keep a FA base somewhere in Asia as it's cheaper, although with no prominent hub, there's no big flexibility advantage.
How would HKG or NRT be cheaper than a US base?
AirbusFan2B likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
How would HKG or NRT be cheaper than a US base?
Not everyone realizes that Tokyo is the world’s #1 metropolitan economic area and presumably with correspondingly high costs of doing business — and HKG not far behind...
Old Jun 5, 2020, 8:56 pm

For the FAs eligible to return to a base in the U.S., am I correct in thinking a domino effect impacts the junior flight attendants in these U.S. bases? While I recognize that the most senior FAs have a certain level of security, what level of seniority in the US bases are potentially at risk (as a result of these international transfers returning)? ie, a FA hire year of 2005 and higher?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:51 pm

Programs: Hertz PC
Not sure about United's FA contract but an AA FA I know said bases had to take furloughs back before any transfers no matter seniority. Is this true for United too?
Old Jun 5, 2020, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Bear96
I don't think this is correct. A U.S.-based crew can absolutely operate HKG-SIN on a U.S.-based airline to the best of my knowledge. But I am interested in hearing the "various reasons" they cannot in case I am incorrect.
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Not sure I understand it but it would be helpful to list the various reasons.
Think in this way - it is not a matter if they are allowed or not. But how UA could make this work? And remember - UA is cheap in this aspect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.