FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016339-ua-covid19-precautions-requiring-mask-usage-per-cdc-dot.html)

zombietooth May 11, 2020 11:28 am

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 32365938)
:rolleyes:

Chief Customer Officer said "We're automatically blocking middle seats to give you enough space on board"

And you believed it? After all of the crap that UA has pulled? I don't believe anything being announced to the public by anyone. It's far easier to go through life expecting less and planning with that in mind. You will be better prepared for anything.

My point is that these guys were acting like prima donnas. Those of us who have been flying for the last few weeks already knew they weren't blocking middle seats, it was no big surprise. I guess I should've posted here about the big betrayal and let everyone know! The problem is that these bozos felt entitled to empty middles (which, of course, makes no difference as far as virus transmission is concerned) and that other's needs to fly were less important than theirs.

narvik May 11, 2020 11:42 am

Made it to Fox News:
https://www.foxnews.com/travel/docto...sengers-scared

"Doctor flying with United Airlines shares photo of packed flight, says passengers were 'scared,' 'shocked'"

bocastephen May 11, 2020 11:45 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 32366482)
And you believed it? After all of the crap that UA has pulled? I don't believe anything being announced to the public by anyone. It's far easier to go through life expecting less and planning with that in mind. You will be better prepared for anything.

My point is that these guys were acting like prima donnas. Those of us who have been flying for the last few weeks already knew they weren't blocking middle seats, it was no big surprise. I guess I should've posted here about the big betrayal and let everyone know! The problem is that these bozos felt entitled to empty middles (which, of course, makes no difference as far as virus transmission is concerned) and that other's needs to fly were less important than theirs.

That's not really the point though - United deliberately lied, and yes, those customers - not bozos - felt entitled to an empty middle seat because that is what United promised them. Now we can just wait for the inevitable class action lawsuit that once again, United brought on itself through mind-numbingly stupid behavior driven by incompetent management.

Let's look at Delta - and how they have communicated through authenticity and transparency throughout this entire mess, whether you like their changes or not. Look how they promised an empty middle seat and have delivered just what they promised. Is it really so difficult for a company to not behave like a jackass? It seems anywhere we find a Baldanza minion, at United or American, the result is a total organizational and quality mess and a very hostile relationship with employees and customers.

United's behavior shows nothing less than total contempt for customers and a view that we are all stupid and just need to sit down, shut up and not ask for, or expect anything. Frankly, I am tired of it and I genuinely hope United is sued over this, they deserve it.

jsloan May 11, 2020 11:49 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32366537)
Let's look at Delta - and how they have communicated through authenticity and transparency throughout this entire mess, whether you like their changes or not. Look how they promised an empty middle seat and have delivered just what they promised.

Sure, I'll look at Delta.

They started out with exactly the same program as United, and were exactly as "transparent." Then, they went back and revised their policy, in much the same way that I suspect UA will need to do.

It's possible to talk about United without being blind to the failures of other companies in the industry.

zombietooth May 11, 2020 11:53 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32366537)
That's not really the point though - United deliberately lied, and yes, those customers - not bozos - felt entitled to an empty middle seat because that is what United promised them. Now we can just wait for the inevitable class action lawsuit that once again, United brought on itself through mind-numbingly stupid behavior driven by incompetent management.

The minute that I read that UA was supposedly leaving middles open, I said to myself, "No way." I haven't flown DL in a few months so I don't know what they have been doing, and honestly don't care because an open middle makes no difference to me but, how is DL handling misconnects and overbooking? Are they actually turning people away to keep the middles open?

bubbashow May 11, 2020 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 32366562)
The minute that I read that UA was supposedly leaving middles open, I said to myself, "No way." I haven't flown DL in a few months so I don't know what they have been doing, and honestly don't care because an open middle makes no difference to me but, how is DL handling misconnects and overbooking? Are they actually turning people away to keep the middles open?

yes. They have reduced bookable capacity. Flight is sold out with all middles open

jsloan May 11, 2020 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by bubbashow (Post 32366676)
yes. They have reduced bookable capacity. Flight is sold out with all middles open

Wherein they just set themselves up for somebody else to complain, "DL stranded me in the ATL airport for four days, even though there were plenty of flights with empty seats." There are no easy answers here.

bocastephen May 11, 2020 2:38 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32366781)
Wherein they just set themselves up for somebody else to complain, "DL stranded me in the ATL airport for four days, even though there were plenty of flights with empty seats." There are no easy answers here.

Almost no one is going to have sympathy for that argument right now - if Delta stated they are blocking middle seats and actually do so, there is nothing to complain about.

jsloan May 11, 2020 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32367037)
Almost no one is going to have sympathy for that argument right now - if Delta stated they are blocking middle seats and actually do so, there is nothing to complain about.

I suspect approximately half the country would have sympathy for that argument right now, given how political nearly everything has become. Particularly if it's followed up with "and I missed <a major life event> as a result."

uastarflyer May 11, 2020 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32367037)

Kirby takes over and already pulls another Dao. They should know better than to defy social distancing Guidance like they did. Jaw dropping idiocy by UA.

AndyPatterson May 11, 2020 5:39 pm

Part of the problem with the EWR-SFO/LAX flights is using 737s for some of the flights:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ing-right-now/

If this flight had been a 787 or even 767, the same # of passengers would have been better spaced...

spin88 May 11, 2020 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 32367326)
Kirby takes over and already pulls another Dao. They should know better than to defy social distancing Guidance like they did. Jaw dropping idiocy by UA.

Yup, I will break my policy of just not caring about United to post on this. Complete mind blowing stupidity. Actually criminal negligence. Trust me, someone gets sick, United is going to get sued the likes of which you have never seen.

People are affraid to fly. Airlines promise "no middle seats" filled. People buy tickets based upon this promise. United is flying cramped little 737s with their 17" seats on SFO-EWR and so they just pack them into middle seats.

The number of people who are not under any circumstances going to fly United just went up by a lot. The loss in business due to this is going to swamp any extra "revenue" united gets.

Made the Post https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ge%2Fstory-ans

And it really ought to be top of the hour story. United puts $$$$ over human safety, yet again.

I can tell you, I have three trips I need to take end of the month, you can bet your sweet bibby I am not going to take United's diseased service. Not in any way, shape, or form, the way to convince Americans to fly again.

and P.s. I say this as the one on this board who back in February was predicting all of this is going to happen. United may have just bankrupted itself.

"

lexdevil May 11, 2020 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32367057)
I suspect approximately half the country would have sympathy for that argument right now, given how political nearly everything has become. Particularly if it's followed up with "and I missed <a major life event> as a result."

The polls don't bear this out.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...-pre-pandemic/

uastarflyer May 11, 2020 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by AndyPatterson (Post 32367438)
Part of the problem with the EWR-SFO/LAX flights is using 737s for some of the flights:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ing-right-now/

If this flight had been a 787 or even 767, the same # of passengers would have been better spaced...

Exactly, and plenty of spares are available. 788 might be the right option. No excuse. Connecting their two most important hubs no less.

Stonewalling refunds and now defying CDC social distancing recommendations. Kirby the borderline criminal is off to quite the CEO start!

SS255 May 11, 2020 7:45 pm

It made the NBC Nightly News, as well.