FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016339-ua-covid19-precautions-requiring-mask-usage-per-cdc-dot.html)

WineCountryUA May 20, 2020 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 32390981)
So are they really going to have flights with lower loads to maintain 6 feet of distancing?
... .

No airline is going to guarantee true social distancing in air, the only variation is the handling of the middle seat. UA's approach is to block in advance and notify the passenger of greater than 70% loads, a more stringent approach of some other airlines is not to allow seating in middles, neither is anyway near CDC social distancing guidelines. Blocking and not allowing middles reduces the worst-case number of passengers (3x3 config) in the 6 foot radius from 30-ish to 20-ish (better but ...)

Silver Fox May 20, 2020 3:24 pm

So, spread out whilst boarding, good luck in the sardine tin.

bocastephen May 20, 2020 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 32390955)
Got an email from Kirby announcing United CleanPlus or some such nonsense.

They are partnering with Clorox.

How exciting - one email from Kirby talking about aircraft cleaning that is 99% certain to NOT happen as described in the email. Nothing else.

Meanwhile I'm on my 5th or 6th email update from Ed Bastian at Delta keeping me up to date on what's going on and attempting to continue enough engagement that I will stick around as a customer.

wco81 May 20, 2020 5:42 pm

You must have mistaken me for someone excited to get an email from Kirby.

uastarflyer May 20, 2020 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 32391566)
You must have mistaken me for someone excited to get an email from Kirby.

A resignation letter from Kirby (or notice of his dismissal) would do the trick

spin88 May 20, 2020 7:27 pm

Originally Posted by LarryJ (Post 32388645)
, my four most used required flight manuals total 4,272 pages.

Did you get the 40 minute iPad lesson on how to fly the MAX as well? That one was very thorough I understand.

Originally Posted by narvik (Post 32390226)
I believe it's a matter of exposure to the infectious dose, or plaque-forming units (PFU).
At this point it is likely that we pretty much all have been subjected to some very low count of SARS-CoV-2 PFU. That doesn't mean it reaches the threshold of getting COVID-19.

Being on a plane for 12 hours wearing a mask for 11.5 hours of that time is likely to be much safer than not wearing a mask at all.

Exactly what I keep saying, and some just don't get. Your risk of getting covid-19 is related to how much virus you take in. Closer, longer you are exposed to an infected person, more risk of infection AND that infection is more likely to be worse. The further you are from someone, the less likely you get infected or badly infected, and a mask that still lets in 20% (vs 5% on tightly fit n95) makes a huge difference. And if the infected person is wearing a mask then they are only letting 20% of the virus out. So the masks work in combination.

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32391526)
How exciting - one email from Kirby talking about aircraft cleaning that is 99% certain to NOT happen as described in the email. Nothing else.

Meanwhile I'm on my 5th or 6th email update from Ed Bastian at Delta keeping me up to date on what's going on and attempting to continue enough engagement that I will stick around as a customer.

+1. I have found Bastian's e-mails to suggest Delta gets it. Ditto the e-mail I get from AS. United, not so much...

LarryJ May 20, 2020 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by spin88 (Post 32391767)
Did you get the 40 minute iPad lesson on how to fly the MAX as well? That one was very thorough I understand.

No different from any other Differences CBT that I've had on other fleets.

At that time, the MAX Flight Manual (FM) was a separate manual with several hundred pages. One FM for the NG, one for the MAX. They have since been combined into a single 737 FM as the vast majority of the information is identical in each sub-fleet. Now, the single manual covers the -700, -800, -900, -900ER, and -9. It's much easier to use, for both for study and for reference, as a single manual.

I only flew the MAX a couple of times but the transition was straight forward. Lots of nice improvements in the avionics as well as the handling during landing.

Not sure why you bring this up here, though. We had already strayed quite far for the topic of this thread by talking about how airlines from different countries follow different rules.

st3 May 22, 2020 7:59 pm

Flying tomorrow for the first time since 3/7. Got 4 seperate messages from UA today, each one both text emailed.
  • Usual check-in reminder, however there was text in there about wearing a face covering on the plane
  • A message about the face covering requirements at my destination
  • A message about the face covering requirements at IAH, where I am connecting
  • A message about the security checkpoints and check-in areas at IAH closed in terminals B and E, only open in C
I could post the exact text if anyone wants, it is not that riveting.

prestonh May 22, 2020 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA (Post 32390966)
UA Press Release

When companies make a big pr fuss over cleaning now I cringe knowing how dirty it was before they cleaned properly. Thanks for pointing it out.

Rock214 May 22, 2020 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by st3 (Post 32396843)
I could post the exact text if anyone wants, it is not that riveting.

Please let it say at least once, “In this time of great uncertainty” or “This is the new normal”.

bocastephen May 23, 2020 12:38 am

Originally Posted by prestonh (Post 32396887)
When companies make a big pr fuss over cleaning now I cringe knowing how dirty it was before they cleaned properly. Thanks for pointing it out.

I highly doubt the actual implementation of the "new" cleaning procedures will be anywhere close to what is being advertised - it's not like the cleaners really paid much attention to the previous cleaning standards which is why you could often find more food in the crevices of the seats than was served for your meal. More PR fluff with little expectation of results.

Silver Fox May 23, 2020 12:44 am

Originally Posted by Rock214 (Post 32396988)
Please let it say at least once, “In this time of great uncertainty” or “This is the new normal”.

"Unprcedented" and "Stay Safe". A whole new buzzword bingo/drinking game is spawned.

wco81 May 23, 2020 12:08 pm

UA is one of the few airlines not guaranteeing reduced capacity flights:

JetBlue is blocking middle seats through July 4. Delta is only loading coach cabins to 60% of capacity, and first class to half capacity. American is taking a more relaxed approach, capping (most) flights so that they don’t have to assign half of middle seats. There’s no problem with households sitting together in middle seats of course.

United Airlines doesn’t even go that far. United says if you don’t like a full plane, don’t fly and they’ll try to let you know in advance so you can make the decision before coming to the airport. (They won’t give you a refund, of course, just a voucher towards future travel you may not be comfortable with either.)

On the one hand there’s just not going to be social distancing on planes. Blocking the middle seat still has passengers in front of you and behind you – and a mere foot and a half to the side. But it makes people more comfortable, and people need to be more comfortable in order to return to travel. Air travel is a lot safer than people think but they need to feel safe and not all airlines are helping people do that.
https://viewfromthewing.com/airlines...ey-without-it/

But one of the comments at that blog post says UA added some flights out of DEN and even used 777 on routes which usually are served by single-aisle aircraft?

Find that unlikely, even more loss of money to do that.

LarryJ May 23, 2020 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 (Post 32398274)
Find that unlikely, even more loss of money to do that.

They are up-gauging around 40 flights per day and, I think, that's increasing. The 737-900 wasn't supposed to be flying now but I've seen quite a few A319 or A320 flights up-gauged to 737-900 which goes from 126/150 seats to 179. Also, up-gauging to the 757-300 and widebodies on hub-to-hub flights.

wco81 May 23, 2020 12:57 pm

But they wouldn't use the bigger planes to give passengers more distancing,.

They would do it because they had more passengers than could fit in a smaller plane?