FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016339-ua-covid19-precautions-requiring-mask-usage-per-cdc-dot.html)

cesco.g Apr 22, 2020 11:15 pm

UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT

UA to block seats as part of social distancing.

https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...locking-seats/

kinda:

https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...stancing-sham/

COSPILOT Apr 22, 2020 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by cesco.g (Post 32316953)
UA to block seats as part of social distancing.

https://onemileatatime.com/united-ai...locking-seats/

Saw that From UA on FB and Twitter this morning. Seems like it matches some others. Given the lack of people, should work fine for now.

Halo117 Apr 22, 2020 11:49 pm

UA is misleading the public on their stance. I have a flight from sfo-iah in early june...old schedule had 7-8 flights daily (mix of 739s and 777s) now down to 3 on A319s..where did all those folks go....you got that right filled up my new flight. They can claim social distancing but then cut capacity to fill up planes at their discretion. Remember the supposed myth of cancelling light loads...well just became fact. If UA won't practice what they preach about safety I will do it for them and cancel.

Weatherboy Apr 22, 2020 11:56 pm

They clarified today it isn't a new policy. They said this may or may not happen and is a function of loads

jsloan Apr 23, 2020 12:02 am

Originally Posted by Halo117 (Post 32317008)
If UA won't practice what they preach about safety I will do it for them and cancel.

No airline, anywhere in the world, will ever offer six-foot exclusion zones on their flights. They can't -- on a narrowbody, you could seat two people every three rows, and then only if nobody ever uses the aisle -- the flight attendants will be within 6 feet of every passenger on the plane at some point.

UA's stance is not really any different than what anyone else is doing.

PTahCha Apr 23, 2020 8:28 am

With many of the flights downsized and first class already filled up, I'm wondering if they are going to start downgrading people? Or keep status quo and hand out masks?

jsloan Apr 23, 2020 9:32 am

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 32317955)
With many of the flights downsized and first class already filled up, I'm wondering if they are going to start downgrading people? Or keep status quo and hand out masks?

Neither, although people can certainly downgrade themselves if they want, assuming there's space in Y. If somebody wants to wear a mask on the plane, I doubt that they'll stop them, but I also don't expect that they'll be handing them out (and I personally wouldn't fly any airline where a mask is mandated, but that's neither here nor there).

timfountain Apr 23, 2020 11:30 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32318186)
Neither, although people can certainly downgrade themselves if they want, assuming there's space in Y. If somebody wants to wear a mask on the plane, I doubt that they'll stop them, but I also don't expect that they'll be handing them out (and I personally wouldn't fly any airline where a mask is mandated, but that's neither here nor there).

Well, IMHO, you are not going to be flying for a long while! I truly expect that masks will become mandatory in public spaces and certainly on airplanes here in the US. It's inevitable...

jhayes_1780 Apr 23, 2020 1:22 pm

I cant link the article, but FR says if they are legislated to do quarantine/social distance seating, then they will not fly until after those rules go away, the quote was something like: "we cant even cover costs at 66% capacity"

threeoh Apr 23, 2020 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by PTahCha (Post 32317955)

You're looking at the seat map? Hard to say what June will bring but I imagine many of those people will cancel before the flight leaves.

The flight that flew SFO-IAH this morning, for example, had 39 people -- about 1/4 full.

emcampbe Apr 23, 2020 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain (Post 32318529)
Well, IMHO, you are not going to be flying for a long while! I truly expect that masks will become mandatory in public spaces and certainly on airplanes here in the US. It's inevitable...

Not on flights themselves, but already flights within and to/from Canada require passengers to have masks with them. I think they are only actually required to be on through security (CATSA checkpoints - so in Canada) and on crew member instructions as well as when social distancing can’t be accomplished. I’m not sure exactly what that means though (ie, on flights within Canada, do passengers need to put it on when attendants are coming through the aisles, as that’s clearly less than 6 feet?). The point Is it’s already started. I believe a crew member, presumably a GA, is required to verify each passenger has a mask.

Asia already has the mask habit, so probably already a critical mass there are doing it. I’d say I’d also be surprised if this isnt a requirement at some point - at least until there is a vaccine available to the masses, and/or if there is enough immunity in the community. That’s not a few weeks away - I’m confident that’s 2+ years at least.

mahasamatman Apr 23, 2020 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117 (Post 32317008)
where did all those folks go....

The smart ones are staying home.

Halo117 Apr 23, 2020 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 (Post 32318869)
I cant link the article, but FR says if they are legislated to do quarantine/social distance seating, then they will not fly until after those rules go away, the quote was something like: "we cant even cover costs at 66% capacity"

What does that even mean? Did they mean load factors? If so that is a false assertion as load factors have no bearing on profitability. How many times have we heard that mantra on FT. The details might be CASM has skyrocketed due to capacity cuts and mounting fixed costs. Airlines can't have it both ways...get payroll covered through September but capture all expenditures against CASM. Since the capacity cuts fares have risen. UA wants to get lean but can't do it fast enough.

My complaint is touting safety only to cram them in by consolidating flights to high load factors. This will be a problem going forward and no vaccine. Save the lip service and give me my snackbox.

IAH-OIL-TRASH Apr 23, 2020 5:56 pm

I think this is being misread? To me, it seems UA will block seats as long as the loads permit, then they'll start filling in adjacent seats.

threeoh Apr 23, 2020 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Halo117 (Post 32319569)
What does that even mean? Did they mean load factors? If so that is a false assertion as load factors have no bearing on profitability. How many times have we heard that mantra on FT.

FR (Ryanair)'s whole business model is high load factors, low ticket prices, low costs. They've said they don't plan to return to flying until they can get high LFs again. I have no reason to doubt them. (Also, they obviously didn't receive CARES Act money, so not sure why that's relevant).

dinoscool3 Apr 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by timfountain (Post 32318529)

They are already mandated in several states including PA and NY. I'd assume that would extend to airlines. Canada mandates all airline travelers to wear a mask as well.

jsloan Apr 23, 2020 7:02 pm

What does that even mean? Did they mean load factors? If so that is a false assertion as load factors have no bearing on profitability. How many times have we heard that mantra on FT.

Oh, come on, that's ridiculous. While it is true that a flight being full doesn't guarantee that it's profitable, surely it's obvious that a flight being empty guarantees that it's not.

My complaint is touting safety only to cram them in by consolidating flights to high load factors. This will be a problem going forward and no vaccine. Save the lip service and give me my snackbox.

This is what is known as "marketing." You surely cannot expect United to tell the truth, which is that nothing they do is going to make a material difference in people's safety.

bluedemon211 Apr 27, 2020 7:12 pm

"Social distancing" seat map confusion

Ran into an odd one tonight. Looking at flight #372 HNL-SFO for May 28. The seat map on the App shows 0 FC seats available for sale or assignment. The desk top version on ua.com shows 0 for sale but 11 available to assign. Called the 1K desk and they verified 0 for sale but saw the 11 available for assignment. The agent didn't know what to make of it. Is it possible this is the beginning of keeping seats open for social distancing? That would make sense, but the seats taken in FC all seem to be bunched (maybe assigned before social distancing went into effect). Thoughts? As a side note, there are a bunch of middle seats in Y that are open to assign.

Dpetryszyn Apr 27, 2020 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 32329971)
Ran into an odd one tonight. Looking at flight #372 HNL-SFO for May 28. The seat map on the App shows 0 FC seats available for sale or assignment. The desk top version on ua.com shows 0 for sale but 11 available to assign. Called the 1K desk and they verified 0 for sale but saw the 11 available for assignment. The agent didn't know what to make of it. Is it possible this is the beginning of keeping seats open for social distancing? That would make sense, but the seats taken in FC all seem to be bunched (maybe assigned before social distancing went into effect). Thoughts? As a side note, there are a bunch of middle seats in Y that are open to assign.

Its most likely a flight they dont plan on operating unless they see passenger demand.

Lots of the EWR - SFO/LAX routes with multiple flights per day in May have atleast 1 of said flights showing 0 FC flights for sale. My guess is they dont want to overbook J.

bluedemon211 Apr 27, 2020 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Dpetryszyn (Post 32330275)
Its most likely a flight they dont plan on operating unless they see passenger demand.

Lots of the EWR - SFO/LAX routes with multiple flights per day in May have atleast 1 of said flights showing 0 FC flights for sale. My guess is they dont want to overbook J.

Ordinarily, I might agree with you but not in this case. There is only 1 flight per day each way to/from Hawaii and the mainland now that UA got approval to discontinue service to all other islands..... this one. I'm leaning to social distancing meets UA IT.

jsloan Apr 27, 2020 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 32330361)
Ordinarily, I might agree with you but not in this case. There is only 1 flight per day each way to/from Hawaii and the mainland now that UA got approval to discontinue service to all other islands..... this one. I'm leaning to social distancing meets UA IT.

Do you already have a ticket on this flight, or are you looking to buy one?

UA is not planning to fly the plane half-empty, up front, If that's what you're thinking. The seat blocking could be anything, but the inventory being zeroed out is likely because they consolidated all of their Hawaiian passengers to one plane. It wouldn't surprise me if it were actually oversold up front, as they expect people to cancel. It's just that some people don't have seat assignments yet.

bluedemon211 Apr 28, 2020 12:02 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32330372)
Do you already have a ticket on this flight, or are you looking to buy one?

UA is not planning to fly the plane half-empty, up front, If that's what you're thinking. The seat blocking could be anything, but the inventory being zeroed out is likely because they consolidated all of their Hawaiian passengers to one plane. It wouldn't surprise me if it were actually oversold up front, as they expect people to cancel. It's just that some people don't have seat assignments yet.

I'm currently ticketed on the flight in Y. The ideal for me would be for a light load and snag a row of 3 and stretch out away from other passengers.

Your explanations all make sense. I was just commenting that the App and ua.com seat maps for F are totally different. The App shows 0 seats to select in F while .com shows 11 seats available for selection. Neither has actual F seats available for sale. I've just never seen the seat maps differ between the App & .com

jsloan Apr 28, 2020 12:05 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 32330412)
I'm currently ticketed on the flight in Y. The ideal for me would be for a light load and snag a row of 3 and stretch out away from other passengers.

Your explanations all make sense. I was just commenting that the App and ua.com seat maps for F are totally different. The App shows 0 seats to select in F while .com shows 11 seats available for selection. Neither has actual F seats available for sale. I've just never seen the seat maps differ between the App & .com

Yeah, I noticed that there are 11 seats blocked on ExpertFlyer if you select the F cabin, but if you select the J cabin, they're empty. I wonder if UA just mis-coded something, and the app is looking up the J seat map whereas the web is using F.

bluedemon211 Apr 28, 2020 12:16 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32330415)
Yeah, I noticed that there are 11 seats blocked on ExpertFlyer if you select the F cabin, but if you select the J cabin, they're empty. I wonder if UA just mis-coded something, and the app is looking up the J seat map whereas the web is using F.

Could very well be the case. I just checked via Expert Flyer again and there are 0 F seats showing available now. Must have been a "bad pointer" and they fixed it. Thanks for the insight.

findark Apr 28, 2020 8:23 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32330415)

That actually dates back to when they did the JCDZP realignment for domestic F and then had the issue of whether you could select the 3-class F seats on Business fares.

Dpetryszyn Apr 28, 2020 7:44 pm

All middle seats blocked on upcoming flight

This is making me feel better about a trip I have to take. LAX-EWR
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...6ebf119660.jpg

fumje Apr 29, 2020 8:58 pm

Seems like it took them several days to get this fully rolled out, but I think it is now active systemwide.

Dpetryszyn Apr 29, 2020 9:06 pm

Yup. Here is the official statement from United when trying to change seat...
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...646b0d833e.jpg

bluedemon211 Apr 30, 2020 12:46 am

This is a positive step, but I'm not sure it will really lead to much distancing. They are blocking seats only for "advanced selection". If I read that right, once you get to the airport those seats can be assigned if a) a couple/family wants to sit together or b) they sell enough seats that those middle seats are needed.

With the drastic reduction in capacity (in many cases only 1 non-stop between cities where there used to be as many as 5-6) the odds are those seats will be needed. That means a lot of "touch points" between staff and passengers handing out boarding passes and people likely crowding the podium wanting seat assignments.

I applaud their initiative, but I'm concerned the execution might be challenging in meeting real social distancing goals.

jsloan Apr 30, 2020 1:00 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 32336573)
If I read that right, once you get to the airport those seats can be assigned if a) a couple/family wants to sit together or b) they sell enough seats that those middle seats are needed.

Correct.

the execution might be challenging in meeting real social distancing goals.

It's nothing but theater. The airlines cannot stay in business allocating 28 square feet* of airplane to every passenger. They're reticent to admit this in the current environment, so they're taking these measures as a marketing step. The only way to fly whilst adhering to the CDC distancing guidelines is private.

* r = 3 feet in πr²

bluedemon211 Apr 30, 2020 1:19 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32336588)
Correct.

It's nothing but theater. The airlines cannot stay in business allocating 28 square feet* of airplane to every passenger. They're reticent to admit this in the current environment, so they're taking these measures as a marketing step. The only way to fly whilst adhering to the CDC distancing guidelines is private.

* 3 feet ✖️ πr²

Thanks jsloan, that was my feeling as well. UA needs every $ of revenue they can get right now, so they are not going to turn away a sale in the name of social distancing.

jsloan Apr 30, 2020 1:37 am

Originally Posted by bluedemon211 (Post 32336610)
Thanks jsloan, that was my feeling as well. UA needs every $ of revenue they can get right now, so they are not going to turn away a sale in the name of social distancing.

Even a blocked middle seat is only about 20" of space from the nearest passenger. To meet CDC guidelines, UA would need to block nearly 90% of their narrowbody inventory -- basically, you could put two people every three rows, although you might need to stagger them on the 76-seaters.

AirbusFan2B Apr 30, 2020 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Dyce (Post 32337258)
2 things here... United have drastically cut future capacity (May-June) based on current demand. This has resulted in:

1) prices going up - cash or miles
2) loads going up

for example, I’ve continued flying IAH-CMH-IAH during the past few weeks. This route is/was a direct flight 3+ times a day

initially flights were cancelling left, right and center and the flights that did operate had ~10-pax (normally served by a 175)

Eventually we were down to 1 flight most days with 17 passengers on my flight IAH-CMH on Monday.

For my next flight in May there are no direct flights and I’ve been routed through ORD with much higher load on the ORD-IAH flight

this is resulting / will result in less social distancing on planes where several ppl (of the 17 passengers on Monday I counted 5 without masks including a non rev pilot in FC) will have zero common courtesy & respect for others and not wear a face mask...

So, I’m going to start driving it... 17 hours in the car isn’t fun, but at less than $100 each way for gas, and no risk from being in a Petri dish plane of ~75% capacity, to me it’s a better choice.

i think ppl will start freaking out when the flights are over 50% full again (how comfortable would you be sitting next to someone without a mask occasionally coughing for 2 hours?).

i don’t blame the airlines for matching supply to demand, but I think the net result is eventually going to be detrimental to getting ppl flying again this summer.

i predict a LOT of ppl will resort to traditional family road trip vacations to visit relatives in other parts of the country this summer...

With wear and tear on the car, may be closer to $1,000 cost per trip. Depending on duration, a rental car may be better value.

I think we’ll soon have antibody tests. UA requiring masks now, I believe?

Ari Apr 30, 2020 8:06 am

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 32337300)
With wear and tear on the car, may be closer to $1,000 cost per trip. Depending on duration, a rental car may be better value.

I think we’ll soon have antibody tests. UA requiring masks now, I believe?

I took an antibody test last Friday and got the results today. It was the Abbot test:

https://www.abbott.com/corpnewsroom/...body-test.html

UA is requesting that you wear masks during the safety demonstration. They will make them available to passengers in May. Crew are required to wear masks. Passengers are not required to wear them at this time. "VOLUNTARY."

Dyce Apr 30, 2020 8:54 am

Not sure what benefit the anti-body test availability gets me as it's still not known whether having antibodies will prevent you from getting it again (one would think it would, but nothing is certain at the moment). I think the implication is if you have the anti-bodies then you're good to resume 'normal living'. I hope so, but time will tell.

And no idea how you're getting close to $1000 in wear & tear on a 1200 mile trip - I'm not doing it in a Veyron!

UA are planning on making masks available to passengers beginning in May - no requirement for ppl to actually wear them.

threeoh Apr 30, 2020 9:47 am

With the drastic reduction in capacity (in many cases only 1 non-stop between cities where there used to be as many as 5-6) the odds are those seats will be needed.

No, odds are very strong the seats won't be needed. AFA reports average flight load is 15 passengers per flight.

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32336588)
It's nothing but theater. The airlines cannot stay in business allocating 28 square feet* of airplane to every passenger.

The federal government is subsidizing them to keep flying. They don't need to be profitable right now, they need to keep flying so essential travel can continue. If they can do that more safely, then great.

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32336638)
Even a blocked middle seat is only about 20" of space from the nearest passenger. To meet CDC guidelines, UA would need to block nearly 90% of their narrowbody inventory -- basically, you could put two people every three rows, although you might need to stagger them on the 76-seaters.

These things fall off exponentially -- 6' is a great rule but 3' is better than 0'. (CDC says 6', a lot of EU countries say 1.5m, and WHO says 1m....6' isn't a magical boundary.)

Blocking middle seats on a low-LF flight is not that big of a deal because people wouldn't select middle seats anyway. I guess it opens up E+ to non-elites sooner if E- starts to fill up.

Weatherboy Apr 30, 2020 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by goalie (Post 32339440)
Bolding mine: That’s assuming there is a meal ;)

United requires passengers wear masks effective May 4.

They haven't suggested food stops then.

COSPILOT Apr 30, 2020 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32339511)
United requires passengers wear masks effective May 4.

They haven't suggested food stops then.

on a bright note we are all going to be super skinny.

jsloan Apr 30, 2020 10:41 pm

UA to require face coverings for all passengers, effective May 4

Well, it's gone from unthinkable to inevitable to announced: https://hub.united.com/united-corona...ght-attendants

We will also make face coverings mandatory for all travelers and will be providing them for free to our customers starting May 4.

Among US carriers, B6 started this, F9 followed, and UA, AA, and DL all appear to have followed suit today. No end date is listed.

Presented without further comment in an effort to avoid going OMNI.

zombietooth Apr 30, 2020 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32339596)
Well, it's gone from unthinkable to inevitable to announced: https://hub.united.com/united-corona...ght-attendants

Among US carriers, B6 started this, F9 followed, and UA, AA, and DL all appear to have followed suit today. No end date is listed.

Presented without further comment in an effort to avoid going OMNI.

I wear N95s whenever I appear in public now, not for my benefit, but to make others feel better. In my line of work, I am used to working in various kinds of respirators, so it's no big deal to me. I understand that if you are not used to them it can be disconcerting, but it is what it is and you are going to have to knuckle under if you want to fly.