FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016339-ua-covid19-precautions-requiring-mask-usage-per-cdc-dot.html)

Bogwoppit May 10, 2020 9:54 am

I do not get people complaining about this, but also flying. Just no way for the airlines to win. Flying with a quarter of the passengers is no viable, filling a plane is the only thing that makes sense.

If you must fly it is on you.

mahasamatman May 10, 2020 9:54 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32363713)
the trade off is between CDC guideline safety and price for those who absolutely must fly.

If the only people who flew were those to absooutely had to, there wouldn't be a problem. Most people who fly do it because they want to, not because they have to. And those people are now putting those who have to fly in danger.

AirbusFan2B May 10, 2020 10:30 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 32363727)
If the only people who flew were those to absooutely had to, there wouldn't be a problem. Most people who fly do it because they want to, not because they have to. And those people are now putting those who have to fly in danger.

Wouldn’t fares go up about 5-6 fold if that occupancy level were sustained? Not sure if that would be a viable business model.

Mike Jacoubowsky May 10, 2020 10:32 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 32363727)
If the only people who flew were those to absolutely had to, there wouldn't be a problem. Most people who fly do it because they want to, not because they have to. And those people are now putting those who have to fly in danger.

If United (or any other airline) was flying only essential business or government travelers, nothing else, and had to make it financially viable, what would that look like? Most of those "essential" flyers whose lives are being put in danger by someone who flies because they "want to" wouldn't get to fly at all.

United's modified seat maps, showing planes limited to 50% capacity (more or less) might be the best compromise.

jsloan May 10, 2020 11:05 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 32363821)
United's modified seat maps, showing planes limited to 50% capacity (more or less) might be the best compromise.

Honestly, I think the seat maps are doing more harm than good.

Here's a fuller piece about the same flight. and there's a quote saying that people were yelling at the middle-seat passengers, because they didn't understand the policy and thought that the seats wouldn't be occupied.

I think you either have to limit the capacity on any given flight -- which, ultimately, is unsustainable -- or just remove the seat blocking and let people figure it out. The current policy makes people feel that they're being lied to.

kevflyer May 10, 2020 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky (Post 32363821)

The middle seats are only blocked from advance seat selections. Gate agents can fill them. So there's actually no capacity limit at all.

zombietooth May 10, 2020 11:24 am

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32363908)

Here's a fuller piece about the same flight. and there's a quote saying that people were yelling at the middle-seat passengers, because they didn't understand the policy and thought that the seats wouldn't be occupied.

I think you either have to limit the capacity on any given flight -- which, ultimately, is unsustainable -- or just remove the seat blocking and let people figure it out. The current policy makes people feel that they're being lied to.

This article is pure elitist hyperbole. This doctor should be complaining about something serious like the fact the he is going to owe NY income tax for his volunteer service. I've been on full flights in the last week and nobody was freaked out by the middle seats being filled. Everybody was masked-up and many were gloved as well. Hand sanitizer and alcohol were in abundance. I didn't eat or drink anything on the flights and my risks were minimal. If you are scared to fly, don't. But, If you "need" to be on the flight, don't come kvetching about it later when other people who need to be on the flight fill the middle seats. Your need is not greater than their need, Mr. Health Professional. Now, if NY wants to charter a flight to fly their volunteer health professionals home, more power to them.

Adelphos May 10, 2020 11:44 am

I thought a major point of the CARES Act was for airlines to keep capacity open and employees paid during an unusual time. During this time, there should be true capacity controls for each flight - As more people fly, airlines should be rapidly adding back airplanes in order to block middle seats, at least through the summer. It’s not sustainable, obviously - however, nothing is sustainable in the current environment.

Gino Troian May 10, 2020 11:54 am

Yeah, my flight last night from SFO-CLT on AA was packed in both cabins; J was full (almost all non-revs, unless 3/4 of the cabin decided to buy last minute full-fare tickets.) Up until two weeks ago, AA was proactively blocking seats and social distancing in the cabins, but now it looks like they're willing to sacrifice passenger safety for a few extra bucks. I will continue to hold my shorts on these greedy airlines.

COSPILOT May 10, 2020 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by BF263533 (Post 32362798)
The title of the thread should clarify that United is not mandating the use of masks. Tens of thousands of lives in the US could have been saved if the country was more aggressive in the use of masks. Who is coughing in the grocery store? One of the few not wearing a mask! Simple measures could have saved the economy. If I have to fly it will be on an airline that mandates that passengers must wear masks. If a person has an active cough, they should not be permitted on the flight. On a United flight last year I took a screen shot of the upgrade list to document the coughing passenger in the event of litigation. The person was coughing without even trying to cover her mouth. How many times have you gotten a cold or the flu after a flight?

Assuming it’s a cold or flu is false. Those that smoke cough pretty much nonstop.

TonyBurr May 10, 2020 12:29 pm

Row 1 is left blocked because the FA's jump seat. Yes, it is not right there in their face, but they want as much distance as they can get.

fumje May 10, 2020 1:21 pm

Yes, I think the blocked Y middles / F alternate-row-window seats are just confusing to everyone, and along with the gate-only CPU, they just make the gate agents' tasks a lot more complicated. The only way I can see this block pattern actually helping is if they only block until T-24 and then release everything again. That could nudge passengers to disperse as much as possible, but it doesn't misrepresent where passengers will actually be seated on board.

I won't opine about whether it's intentional or not, but the blocking as it is currently done is disingenuous.

Originally Posted by Adelphos (Post 32364011)
I thought a major point of the CARES Act was for airlines to keep capacity open and employees paid during an unusual time. During this time, there should be true capacity controls for each flight - As more people fly, airlines should be rapidly adding back airplanes in order to block middle seats, at least through the summer. It’s not sustainable, obviously - however, nothing is sustainable in the current environment.

The CARES act really didn't do anything to address the economics of capacity, so it's not realistic to expect capacity limits.

eng3 May 10, 2020 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by TonyBurr (Post 32364103)
Row 1 is left blocked because the FA's jump seat. Yes, it is not right there in their face, but they want as much distance as they can get.

I think people are taking the "6ft" guidance too literally. It could be more than 6ft or less. If there is a wall separating you, I can almost guarantee it is less.
Ironically, On my flight this morning, I was in 2A. Just after wheels up, the FA actually moved to 1A to take a photo out the window then went back.

At least I know the reason for the rule now.

As for these news articles about "shocked" passengers being under the impression that they have lied to, it almost seems like a self-fulfilling prophecy. They write an article reporting UA's policy about blocking advanced seat assignments for middle seats incorrectly reporting it as a guarantee of an empty seat and reduced capacity, then generate another article when a passenger gets upset about misinterpreting the policy based on reading the prior news article.
Plus, if you are really that worried, you can always get off the plane and take another flight. Clearly the importance of the travel outweighed to perceived risk.

bubbashow May 10, 2020 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Gino Troian (Post 32364037)
Yeah, my flight last night from SFO-CLT on AA was packed in both cabins; J was full (almost all non-revs, unless 3/4 of the cabin decided to buy last minute full-fare tickets.) Up until two weeks ago, AA was proactively blocking seats and social distancing in the cabins, but now it looks like they're willing to sacrifice passenger safety for a few extra bucks. I will continue to hold my shorts on these greedy airlines.

AA is not permitting nonrev clearance into premium cabins during Covid modifications

Originally Posted by Bogwoppit (Post 32363726)
I do not get people complaining about this, but also flying. Just no way for the airlines to win. Flying with a quarter of the passengers is no viable, filling a plane is the only thing that makes sense.

If you must fly it is on you.

UA in its release implied muddle seats would be blocked.

Delta ISN'T SELLING THEM OR ASSIGNING THEM.

United set up disappointment with poor communication.

bluedemon211 May 10, 2020 3:42 pm

I totally agree with jsloan. This is causing people to feel confused, angry, and feeling that UA lied to them about having an empty seat guaranteed to be next to them. The reality is it is a reading comprehension issue, as UA NEVER said we would have an empty seat next to us, only that it wouldn't be filled prior to T-24. The reality is that most of the flying public doesn't understand that difference. People are very worried about the potential of illness and death so emotions are running high. UA (and other airlines) are running a skeleton fleet right now so the odds are despite record low numbers of passengers, we will be flying on fairly dense planes. This is not going to change any time soon.