FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   UA COVID19 precautions: **REQUIRING** mask usage per CDC/DoT (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/2016339-ua-covid19-precautions-requiring-mask-usage-per-cdc-dot.html)

gokeeper May 10, 2020 5:44 pm

It appears that UA only blocked these seats on their website / app. I was able to assign 6D and 6E for my clients on a 789 through GDS, while all B/E/L seats shows blocked on UA.

fatlasercat May 10, 2020 6:00 pm

So how does this seat-blocking work? If blocking is only until T-24 why do all the middle seats show unavailable on the status page for flights that already departed?

jsloan May 10, 2020 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by fatlasercat (Post 32364818)
So how does this seat-blocking work? If blocking is only until T-24 why do all the middle seats show unavailable on the status page for flights that already departed?

They're not blocked only until T-24. They're blocked for user selection. However, agents can (and will) seat passengers in the blocked seats if necessary.

notquiteaff May 10, 2020 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by AirbusFan2B (Post 32363817)
Wouldn’t fares go up about 5-6 fold if that occupancy level were sustained? Not sure if that would be a viable business model.

How do you come up with the 5-6 factor?

If fares were set to make flights profitable at this time, given the load factors that most flights see they would likely be in “unaffordable” range for most people. But I don’t think that is what is happening.

bocastephen May 10, 2020 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by kevflyer (Post 32363933)
The middle seats are only blocked from advance seat selections. Gate agents can fill them. So there's actually no capacity limit at all.

Then what about the communication from the airline about blocked middle seats? I guess that was another lie? If United publicly announced that middle seats would be blocked, and people relied on that claim as part of their decision making to book a flight, and found the cabins are actually full, that is an unfair and deceptive trade practice and passengers have grounds to sue.

Either the seats are blocked or they are not - don't say they are and then run flights full, at best it's terrible optics at the wrong time, and it worst, it's outright fraud.

jsloan May 10, 2020 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32365120)
Then what about the communication from the airline about blocked middle seats? I guess that was another lie?

The devil's in the details. What they announced wasn't a lie, but it was released in such a way that it was easy to get the wrong impression. I suspect that most people glossed over the nuance.

bocastephen May 10, 2020 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32365138)
The devil's in the details. What they announced wasn't a lie, but it was released in such a way that it was easy to get the wrong impression. I suspect that most people glossed over the nuance.

This is not a time for corporate-speak gibberish and hiding facts in the small print - the optics on this are terrible, and this is the second time. If Delta is saying they are blocking middle seats and actually doing so, while United is saying they are blocking seats and hiding the real policy in the small print or nuance of their announcement, and then filling downsized aircraft until capacity, not only does it show tremendous dishonesty, and creates a basis for a legal action that will further damage the company's image, but it creates a substitute narrative for the comparison that airlines never talk about - who is safer? In the past, that narrative was forbidden as in "we don't crash, but they do", but now that substitute narrative is "we help you stay safe, but they will make you sick" - and that is something that could easily get ingrained in how people compare their travel choices beyond price and schedule.

Obviously this "policy" and its nuance is further evidence of Kirby's complete lack of care or interest in customers - as long as those metrics are hit, who cares how many customers or employees are sick, injured or killed in the process?

jsloan May 10, 2020 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen (Post 32365147)
but now that substitute narrative is "we help you stay safe, but they will make you sick"

I seriously doubt that any airline really wants to make that comparison. I have a strong suspicion that an empty middle seat doesn't accomplish nearly as much as the airlines want you to believe.

bocastephen May 10, 2020 11:56 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan (Post 32365199)
I seriously doubt that any airline really wants to make that comparison. I have a strong suspicion that an empty middle seat doesn't accomplish nearly as much as the airlines want you to believe.

No, an empty middle seat probably has little practical protection, given the risk from people behind or in front of you - certainly more important is wearing a mask and ensuring a thorough scrubbing of the cabin air with 100% outside-sourced airflow.

However, this is all about saying one thing and doing another while hiding behind the small print. Frontier just got caught doing something low and dirty with their "you need to pay for your empty middle seat", where the reaction was so negative and fierce, they had to step back. This is not the time to be playing tricks with customers - first United did it with a rapidly shifting refund policy which is still being unevenly enforced, and now we have yet another anti-customer fiasco with the not-empty-middle seat where people are posting photos online with very negative comments.

It's just more tone-deaf disinterest from Kirby and clear evidence about where his priorities are, vs the customer-forward policies and communication style of Delta and its greater transparency. Running a service business is not about metrics, it's about taking care of customers, employees and showing authenticity, especially when tensions are high.

username May 11, 2020 12:56 am

Originally Posted by 1k-all-the-way (Post 32363644)
Has this been posted from SF press today? Doesn't make me want to fly again anytime soon, even though I miss it terribly.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/artic...e-15259851.php

I saw this on ABC News Sunday night: https://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/ima...tions-70607478 and thought UA's answer was kind of snobbish (1:03 of the video) and also in this USA Today article https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...d/3105870001/:
“We’ve overhauled our cleaning and safety procedures and implemented a new boarding and deplaning process to promote social distancing," spokeswoman Kimberly Gibbs said in an email. "Our flight to San Francisco had an additional 25 medical professionals on board who were flying for free to volunteer their time in New York. We’ve provided complimentary flights for more than 1,000 doctors and nurses in the past few weeks alone – and all passengers and employees were asked to wear face coverings, consistent with our new policy.”
It is almost like "you are flying for free, we squeezed you on to get you home and stop complaining". Not good.

Mama May 11, 2020 2:25 am

So much for United's pledge to block the middle seat

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...e-middle-seat/

malgudi May 11, 2020 7:59 am

Originally Posted by zombietooth (Post 32363958)
This article is pure elitist hyperbole. This doctor should be complaining about something serious like the fact the he is going to owe NY income tax for his volunteer service. I've been on full flights in the last week and nobody was freaked out by the middle seats being filled. Everybody was masked-up and many were gloved as well. Hand sanitizer and alcohol were in abundance. I didn't eat or drink anything on the flights and my risks were minimal. If you are scared to fly, don't. But, If you "need" to be on the flight, don't come kvetching about it later when other people who need to be on the flight fill the middle seats. Your need is not greater than their need, Mr. Health Professional. Now, if NY wants to charter a flight to fly their volunteer health professionals home, more power to them.

:rolleyes:

Chief Customer Officer said "We're automatically blocking middle seats to give you enough space on board"

narvik May 11, 2020 9:49 am

Originally Posted by malgudi (Post 32365938)
:rolleyes:

Chief Customer Officer said "We're automatically blocking middle seats to give you enough space on board"

This.

It isn't about United having gate agents assign middle seats to passengers; it's about United being deliberately vague and cutesy-poo in their press releases where they instill a certain belief in their passengers that proves to be wrong (but correct if one dissects the actual wording of the release with a lawyer's comb).

This is United being United.

It's hard to watch the predictable train wrecks they create all by themselves in slow motion, again....and again....

TonyBurr May 11, 2020 10:46 am

I am SHOCKED that anyone would even consider that UNITED would mislead, lie, distort the truth, lead you on, say one thing and do another, read the finest of fine print. OK, I lied, I am not in the least bit shocked if you REALIZED that this is what UNITED does, over and over again. I had been flying them for 30+ years with 2 1/2 MM, and just came to expect this in their corporate mentality.

wcthomps May 11, 2020 11:22 am

Social distancing on United flights

Came to FT looking for articles about this as well as comments from fellow travelers: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-...-middle-seats/

As I make the difficult decision as to when I should start traveling again news like this will play a big part in my decision. When an airline makes bold public statements to instill confidence in their customers, then completely ignores that for profit - I have to decide not to trust them at all and to wait for other safety measures that don't depend on their integrity to protect me.

Also surprised this wasn't a headline article on FT...