Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Pricing appears to be based upon the sector length, with a new purchase required for each sector.

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

Here's the list of specific UA planes that have wifi.

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights
Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2019, 10:44 pm

Location: Rowley, MA / Edgartown, MA / Christiansted, St. Croix (USVI)
Programs: UA LT GS/4.96MM, Marriott LT Titanium, IHG Platinum, Global Entry, TSA Pre✓, Korea SeS, APEC
I just bought the global annual subscription for $689. and used it on my trip to Asia last week. For email and light browsing it seemed fine and the coverage was also okay with minimal periods without connectivity. I’ve never used it in the past so I can’t comment on relative performance.
Old Nov 19, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by diburning
If I buy a 1hr session, will they let me buy another 1hr session once the first one runs out?
Yep, I ended up buying four one hour sessions at $1.99 each. Probably still worth saving the $3.
Old Nov 20, 2019, 11:46 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by oopl
How were the speeds?
Same as always.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:22 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Thales on 737-700 with Direct TV have been great WiFi service lately. Starts up as soon as push back from gate & very reliable throughout flight.
Old Jan 26, 2020, 9:31 am

Anyone who has been on an A320 transcontinental flight? The wifi seems to be provided by Panasonic. I wonder what are the prices for domestic long haul flight (SFO to IND, to be precise).
Old Jan 26, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by barcelona_xavi
Anyone who has been on an A320 transcontinental flight? The wifi seems to be provided by Panasonic. I wonder what are the prices for domestic long haul flight (SFO to IND, to be precise).
Nobody knows. It’s a mystery.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 12:07 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
Originally Posted by physioprof
Thales on 737-700 with Direct TV have been great WiFi service lately. Starts up as soon as push back from gate & very reliable throughout flight.
Flew back from LA yesterday on one of these birds and had the first positive WiFi experience in my last 8 flights (which have all basically been non-functional for 75%+ of the flight time).
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by barcelona_xavi
Reporting back. $14 for 1 hour, $18 for 2 hours, and $20 for the entire flight of about 4 hours.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: UA, AA, WN; HH, MR, IHG
FTR, WiFi on UA143 (DEN-NRT) a few days ago was $24 for the entire flight (about 12 hours), so not too shabby a price. I used it for much of the flight, worked sufficiently well. (Panasonic provider.)
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:29 pm

Hi from 2305 from IAD to DEN.

Anyone noticed an issue in the past week or two where google drive web apps (drive itself, sheets, docs, slides) just don't ever fully load on United_Wi-Fi and eventually error out? It was really bad last week and is a bit more sporadic today. Speed is great overall and other sites are loading well; just having trouble with google apps.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by benjymessner
Hi from 2305 from IAD to DEN.

Anyone noticed an issue in the past week or two where google drive web apps (drive itself, sheets, docs, slides) just don't ever fully load on United_Wi-Fi and eventually error out? It was really bad last week and is a bit more sporadic today. Speed is great overall and other sites are loading well; just having trouble with google apps.
I experienced that the ther day trying to use a Google sheet.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:44 am

It sounds like an MTU issue. Extremely simplified: internet "packets" are limited in size (the Maximum Transmission Unit), and when something along the way - like a Wi-Fi management system - adds overhead to the packets, fewer data can be transmitted in the unit.

Normally there are systems in place to detect and coordinate how much data can be transmitted, but when this breaks, for example, due to a poorly configured firewall, connectivity issues will occur. Typical MTU issue symptoms are some websites that are working normally, others don't work at all, and some websites only load partially before they time-out. How many websites are affected depends on the gravity of the MTU issue.

It may have been temporary, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mozilla
It sounds like an MTU issue. Extremely simplified: internet "packets" are limited in size (the Maximum Transmission Unit), and when something along the way - like a Wi-Fi management system - adds overhead to the packets, fewer data can be transmitted in the unit.

Normally there are systems in place to detect and coordinate how much data can be transmitted, but when this breaks, for example, due to a poorly configured firewall, connectivity issues will occur. Typical MTU issue symptoms are some websites that are working normally, others don't work at all, and some websites only load partially before they time-out. How many websites are affected depends on the gravity of the MTU issue.

It may have been temporary, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
When only Google Docs has this problem I'm really nt sure what to say. I've noticed it across multiple flights on 737 aircraft over the last couple of weeks. So have some of my colleagues.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
This is an archive thread, the active thread is Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

WineCountryUA
UA coModerator

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 14, 2020 at 11:02 am
Old Mar 14, 2020, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
UA SFO-SIN and In-Flight Internet?

Anyone here flew to SIN with UA recently? I think this may be the only way for me to get to Singapore without going through any self-quarantine or in trouble with the authorities. I've checked around and I don't see any indication that Singapore are banning passengers arriving directly from the United States. Is this still true as of March 14th, 2020?

I don't usually buy in-flight internet due to the cost, but I might make an exception given how long this flight is. Does anyone here know what the MCC is for in-flight internet purchased inside the plane? Is it possible to purchase in-flight internet before check-in from UA's website? What's the MCC for that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.