FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}
Old Feb 13, 2020, 2:42 pm
Xyzzy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by mozilla
It sounds like an MTU issue. Extremely simplified: internet "packets" are limited in size (the Maximum Transmission Unit), and when something along the way - like a Wi-Fi management system - adds overhead to the packets, fewer data can be transmitted in the unit.

Normally there are systems in place to detect and coordinate how much data can be transmitted, but when this breaks, for example, due to a poorly configured firewall, connectivity issues will occur. Typical MTU issue symptoms are some websites that are working normally, others don't work at all, and some websites only load partially before they time-out. How many websites are affected depends on the gravity of the MTU issue.

It may have been temporary, but definitely something to keep an eye on.
When only Google Docs has this problem I'm really nt sure what to say. I've noticed it across multiple flights on 737 aircraft over the last couple of weeks. So have some of my colleagues.