Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Old Nov 13, 2013, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Domestic pricing is $10 non-members, $8 MileagePlus member and with 25% discount using Chase MP card to pay for each domestic segment. No longer offering day pass but monthly and annual subscription packages exists,
International segments tend to run between $20-$35 but occasionally less.
T-Mobile Magenta+Magenta Plus Offering Free On Board Wifi on US Airlines...
Free in-flight messaging coming (FB Messenger, Apple iMessage, WhatsApp)

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

All mainline aurcraft have Internet access and the larger UX (non-50 seaters) have GoGo wifi

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights

Thread Archive: Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}

Print Wikipost

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Old Mar 7, 2022, 11:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
Anyone here know how much wifi is on SFO-SIN/HKG/TPE? If I fly the route enough, I wonder if it'll be cheaper for me to buy it per flight with a UA card and get 25% off or buy an annual subscription?
$40 for wifi on the very empty SFO-SIN today. A bit ridiculous in my opinion. I'll buy it because I have to though, sigh.
lsquare likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2022, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k, 2MM, Ambassador Marriott
SFO to CDG wifi cost

Does anyone know the cost of Wifi on the SFO flight to CDG. when I bought the ticket 2 weeks ago the day pass was $18 and now it $29. The return through Newark is now $37. Seems the per-flight cost has increased.. trying to decide of Day pass is cheaper with 25% discount or for $2 more, I get the Monthly global pass.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 8:54 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Wifi Streaming Capable on 737-700W Tail #3726?

Anyone know or know how to figure out if 737-700W tail #3726 has the streaming-capable version of United wifi? Sorry for not posting this in the wifi thread but for some reason I can't find it...
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
All the 737NG are on the same Viasat system so they should have the same capabilities.
Old Jun 9, 2022, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K
According to the UA Fleet site https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...xXAo/htmlview# only the Max's and select 900s are on ViaSat the rest are Thales which does not support streaming. I would assume that OP's flight will not be able to stream.
jsloan and physioprof like this.
Old Jun 12, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by physioprof
Anyone know or know how to figure out if 737-700W tail #3726 has the streaming-capable version of United wifi? Sorry for not posting this in the wifi thread but for some reason I can't find it...
So I'm on this flight now flying Boeing 737-700W tail #3718. It says "Network by Thales" on the United Wifi home page, but when I signed in, it offered streaming-capable, and I am watching a live sports even right now on Peacock. So I guess the Thales network on at least some planes is now supporting streaming.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 8:00 am
daq

Hi, does anyone know what kind of Wi-Fi (decent speed?) and price would be on a EWR-SFO flight on a 777-200 with the Polaris seat config? Thanks!
Old Jun 16, 2022, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by daq
Hi, does anyone know what kind of Wi-Fi (decent speed?) and price would be on a EWR-SFO flight on a 777-200 with the Polaris seat config? Thanks!
8 bucks for mileage plus members and $10 for others, haven’t tested the speed yet.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:22 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by daq
Hi, does anyone know what kind of Wi-Fi (decent speed?) ...
Depends on your definition of decent or what you are trying to do. What are you comparing to?

It will be noway the same as an office or good home system. Usually plenty fine for email, web surfing, .... streaming video (if permitted) is iffy, group workplace systems like teams, slack, ... can be iffy. One thing to remember is these are satellite systems with significant path delays -- over 1/2 second -- so lots of back and forward can led to multi-second response times.
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
.... streaming video (if permitted) is iffy
I have noticed that I have to connect to VPN in order to watch or stream video, why it works like that?
Old Jun 16, 2022, 10:49 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.99MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by UAFAM
I have noticed that I have to connect to VPN in order to watch or stream video, why it works like that?
Because UA blocks many common streaming sites. The VPN hides the source.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 10:21 am

Programs: DL, UA
Wifi transpac lately (US-AUS)

Has anyone flown US-MEL/SYD lately on the 787-9 and can comment on reliability of wifi on these routes? There used to be a few big gaps (a few hours at a time, If i remember correctly) where the Wifi failed to have a signal. I'm wondering if this has improved in reliability since 2019 or so.
Old Jul 10, 2022, 10:23 pm

Programs: DL, UA
Originally Posted by nw6338
Has anyone flown US-MEL/SYD lately on the 787-9 and can comment on reliability of wifi on these routes? There used to be a few big gaps (a few hours at a time, If i remember correctly) where the Wifi failed to have a signal. I'm wondering if this has improved in reliability since 2019 or so.
Going to respond to my own question after flying SFO-MEL (on a 787-9) in the past few days. Gate to gate wifi + honestly really good speeds and reliability. Literally no issues until we hit some weather around New Caledonia but the wifi came back on in a few mins usually. Such an improvement!
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:51 am

Free messaging on INTL flights

I was on UA871 (SFO-TPE) and saw that free messaging was offered for free ($29.99 for regular Wi-Fi). Not sure if it’s due to this specific 77X (seemed to have flown most domestic routes in the past couple days) or it’s just generally available now. I’m not aware of any other carrier offering this for TPAC.

On the flop side, perhaps because of this, Wi-Fi speed was abysmal. Stable, but it took almost a minute just to load this editor page.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 2:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb (Post # 266)
I was on UA871 (SFO-TPE) and saw that free messaging was offered for free ($29.99 for regular Wi-Fi).
Would "free messaging" include an app like Facebook Messenger? I wonder what other apps might be included.

Or does "free messaging" refer solely to text messages, requiring an active cell phone account?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.