Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 14, 20, 2:55 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Pricing appears to be based upon the sector length, with a new purchase required for each sector.

Due to the nature of the satellite system, high latency is to be expected when using the system.

Here's the list of specific UA planes that have wifi.

And here's the overview from united.com.

Subscriptions are now offered which allow for unlimited wifi on flights

Thread Archive: Pricing & Speed Performance of UA in-flight Wifi {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 1, 18, 11:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
How come Wifi from IAH-LHR is much more expensive than IAH-NRT?
$5/hr vs $12/hour.

Domestic I remember was also around the $5 range.
Old Jan 1, 18, 11:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite*; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
How come Wifi from IAH-LHR is much more expensive than IAH-NRT?
Some bean counter probably figured that the LHR customers are more willing to pay.
Old Jan 2, 18, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
Some bean counter probably figured that the LHR customers are more willing to pay.
I was thinking because LH has similar Wifi prices but than looking at NH in the west coast there wifi prices are worse. Unless UA has failed to realize that NH's full flight plan is less than an hours use.
Old Jan 2, 18, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Lifetime 4 MM, BA Gold, , Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by mahasamatman View Post
My guess: There are a lot of bankers and lawyers on LHR flights, and they pass on the charges to their clients.
Old Jan 22, 18, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Flying LaX-SYD tomorrow on Ua839.

Anyone try it recently on this route?

Has UA announced any road maps for next gen airline wifi like Gogo 2ku?

Oscar's 2018 email made a vague promise about faster wifi but no details.
Old Jan 22, 18, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Has UA announced any road maps for next gen airline wifi like Gogo 2ku?
Yes. UA is upgrading the modem on its planes to support significantly more bandwidth. And Panasonic continues to buy more satellite capacity to support that effort. The new modem rollout was supposed to be moving quickly by now but I don't think it is. That's unfortunate. Also adding more WAPs on some planes after insisting to me many times that the ones installed were sufficient. They aren't.

I've written a few stories about the improvements in recent weeks:The critical component at this point is the modem upgrade. It opens up way more capacity to the aircraft.
Old Jan 22, 18, 8:16 pm
Suspended

More blocking?

As in blocking video streaming?

Gogo 2ku claims it will support streaming.
Old Jan 22, 18, 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
More blocking?

As in blocking video streaming?
Read the story.

It is mostly good news. I promise.

One of the big issues with streaming video is bandwidth costs. There are few places more expensive to deliver a byte of data than to an airplane. It is unlikely that most passengers are truly covering the costs of the bandwidth consumed, even at the rates we're paying today. Especially for those streaming content. So even if the systems support it that doesn't mean it is financially feasible to offer it in all scenarios.
Old Jan 22, 18, 10:18 pm
Suspended

Error 500 on both links.
Old Feb 7, 18, 11:58 am

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Paid $13.99 for BOS-IAH, 739, Ka band satellite. Not terribly slow although the speed was unreliable, things loaded in spurts. Pandora (music streaming service) worked very well. Discord (a chatroom app) worked just fine with no delay. Youtube was alright in lower quality settings, although some loading time was required.

Paid $8.99 for IAH-MIA, A319 Ku band satellite. Noticeably faster, but certain apps and websites such as Discord and Pandora were blocked. Youtube worked very well on medium quality, no loading time required.
Old Feb 7, 18, 12:13 pm

Programs: UA 4.1MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak S+; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by diburning View Post
Paid $13.99 for BOS-IAH, 739, Ka band satellite. Not terribly slow although the speed was unreliable, things loaded in spurts. Pandora (music streaming service) worked very well. Discord (a chatroom app) worked just fine with no delay. Youtube was alright in lower quality settings, although some loading time was required.

Paid $8.99 for IAH-MIA, A319 Ku band satellite. Noticeably faster, but certain apps and websites such as Discord and Pandora were blocked. Youtube worked very well on medium quality, no loading time required.
Your pictures came to me "5x5," even while I was riding a commuter train If you have a VPN, you should be able to get some of the audio streaming services easily. I've listened to the radio (via radio.com -- which is very low bandwidth) trans-oceanic many times.
Old Feb 7, 18, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA, B6, AA, WN, AS, AGR
Switching devices on the 739 with Ka took a while as it had to activate every time. Switching devices on the A319 with Ku was instantaneous.
Old Feb 12, 18, 10:14 pm

So in a few days I will fly ORD-HKG. It appears there is no way to predetermine internet speed or price. Is that correct?
(I read sbm12's articles but it does not seem to be a way to know which specific UA 777-200 a/c offer which speed/rpice, as far as I could see.)
Old Feb 12, 18, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Based on what I read in a thread here, I set up a subscription for global WiFi. It worked great on a recent flight across the Atlantic. Admittedly, I slept for eight hours, but six or so hours I was awake, it worked perfectly. I had no issues with download speeds or outages (B788).

I signed up right before the flight. The account was set up pretty quickly, though I was worried by a warning on the login page that new accounts take up to 24 hours to activate. Mine took under two hours.
Old Feb 13, 18, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Global321 View Post
So in a few days I will fly ORD-HKG. It appears there is no way to predetermine internet speed or price. Is that correct?
(I read sbm12's articles but it does not seem to be a way to know which specific UA 777-200 a/c offer which speed/rpice, as far as I could see.)
Your flight will carry the Panasonic Avionics Ku-band system. The price can vary so no way to know until you're on board but assume it could go up to nearly $40 or as low as $20ish.

The performance is likely to be mediocre at best. TPAC has the lowest total capacity available unless the plane has the new modem hardware installed and expectations on that front should be well tempered. If you get lucky and have a plane with the new kit (no way to know, unfortunately) then the performance could be decent, but I still wouldn't plan on streaming content.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: