Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2021, 12:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
UA - 7 day rebooking "policy" for cancelled flight?

After 2 schedule changes, the entire outbound leg (with connection) from my Sept PHL>HND flight was cancelled by United... since I'm feeling less confident that Japan's borders would be open by then, and I'm less flexible with fall travel due to childcare constraints, I called to rebook for next year.

Representative initially said they were offering me a flight credit when he pulled up my itinerary, and when I pointed out United cancelled the flight (not me) and I was calling to rebook, he said I would still be responsible for the difference in fare unless I booked a departure date that was within 7 days of the original departure. I've only had good experiences easily rebooking far outside that window with other airlines in the past, though this has only happened to me a handful of times over the years. I don't think it should matter but I no longer have status, not sure if that was a factor, but he did pass me to his manager who confirmed the 7 day 'internal policy' (though he also navigated to the website and saw the published info does not mention this).

Has anyone run into this before? Any thoughts on how to get to someone who can help me rebook outside of this window? If I can't rebook I will cancel/refund but I'd really like United to keep my money and I still go on my trip

The FAQ on the website says the following which the new flight meets, though I'm assuming the reps I spoke with have internal system constraints that they can't work around:

Rebooking options if a schedule change has affected your itinerary

If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes, we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. Please keep the following in mind when you call:

- Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
- If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
- Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express® partners.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by maewest
Representative initially said they were offering me a flight credit when he pulled up my itinerary, and when I pointed out United cancelled the flight (not me) and I was calling to rebook, he said I would still be responsible for the difference in fare unless I booked a departure date that was within 7 days of the original departure.
This is standard.

(though he also navigated to the website and saw the published info does not mention this).
It's in United's Contract of Carriage. Furthermore, what you're essentially saying is, "Your schedule change doesn't work for me. Move me by several months instead."

If I can't rebook I will cancel/refund but I'd really like United to keep my money and I still go on my trip
If you pay the fare for the date you want to travel, you'll have no problem rebooking.

Rebooking options if a schedule change has affected your itinerary

If your scheduled departure or arrival time changes, we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs. Please keep the following in mind when you call:

- Your origin and destination will have to be the same as on your original itinerary.
- If you have a connection, you may be able to choose a different connecting city or airport.
- Alternative flights must be operated by United or our United Express® partners.
Implicit in this is the idea that they're trying to make up for a disruption that's actually caused by United's change of plans. That doesn't appear to be the case here -- your desire not to travel has nothing to do with the schedule change and everything to do with thinking Japan won't be a great place to visit in October.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Interesting take - as noted before, I have been able to shift previous flights (for various reasons) well outside of a 7 day window, and I know folks who have done similar reschedules to up to a full year from the date of change/cancellation so perhaps YMMV. Will be curious to see other responses from folks who have rebooked (or attempted) based on a schedule change or cancellation.

Japan is wonderful in October, I have visited before and would love to go but even if the borders are open then I won't have childcare to make the trip. To your comment
Originally Posted by jsloan
Furthermore, what you're essentially saying is, "Your schedule change doesn't work for me. Move me by several months instead."
Yes, as spelled out on United's page: we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Interesting take - as noted before, I have been able to shift previous flights (for various reasons) well outside of a 7 day window, and I know folks who have done similar reschedules to up to a full year from the date of change/cancellation so perhaps YMMV.
Clearly YMMV, but it's also possible that the same fare -- or, at least, inventory bucket -- was available on those dates, which makes it a lot easier to make the change. (If the fare difference is zero, there's nothing to collect).

Yes, as spelled out on United's page: we're happy to try to find other available flight options that meet your needs.
Again, "If you can't get me there at the exact time I specified, move me by several months" is not within the spirit of that statement, and I'm not surprised that you were denied. There have been multiple similar reports posted here, along with a very small number of successes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Interesting take - as noted before, I have been able to shift previous flights (for various reasons) well outside of a 7 day window, and I know folks who have done similar reschedules to up to a full year from the date of change/cancellation so perhaps YMMV. Will be curious to see other responses from folks who have rebooked (or attempted) based on a schedule change or cancellation.

For a non-UA caused, voluntary change to a future date with no waiver, you will be charge the fare difference

In those other cases the same fare may have been available so there was no fare difference.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold

If they cancelled the flight just take the refund - you are subject to the new fare outside the 7 day window.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:08 pm

There have been multiple similar reports posted here, along with a very small number of successes.
Admittedly I am not on FT as much as I used to be but a quick scan before I posted showed scenarios where the cancellation was initiated by the passenger (vs this case by United). Will take a closer look - thanks.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
For a non-UA caused, voluntary change to a future date with no waiver, you will be charge the fare difference

In those other cases the same fare may have been available so there was no fare difference.
It wasn't but thanks! and this is a UA cased change

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 27, 2021 at 3:55 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jul 27, 2021, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's certainly not as generous as, say, QR's policy, but it's not totally unreasonable.
maewest likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
If a schedule change/cancellation impacts the return leg of an itinerary, can/will UA refund just the return leg while keeping the outbound intact? This would obviously happen before commencing travel on the outbound.

Context: considering booking KUL-NRT-ORD-HND-KUL on ANA and applying Plus Points. ORD-HND-KUL hasn't been operating during the pandemic. If it does get cancelled, I would like to keep the outbound but ditch the return (obviously preserving the confirmed upgrades).

Edit to add: if ANA auto rebooks the cancelled flights and UA auto reissues the ticket, then the safest route would be to fly the outbound, then call in to request a refund of the return. But I'm asking in case this doesn't happen, as I likely wouldn't be able to check in for the outbound with the ticket in limbo.

Last edited by dkc192; Jul 31, 2021 at 11:30 pm
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dkc192
If a schedule change/cancellation impacts the return leg of an itinerary, can/will UA refund just the return leg while keeping the outbound intact? This would obviously happen before commencing travel on the outbound.
Generally, yes, assuming that the change triggers the refund threshold. An involuntary change allows you to get a refund of the affected legs on a half-round-trip basis, so it won't be re-fared to a one-way. However...

Context: considering booking KUL-NRT-ORD-HND-KUL on ANA and applying Plus Points. ORD-HND-KUL hasn't been operating during the pandemic. If it does get cancelled, I would like to keep the outbound but ditch the return (obviously preserving the confirmed upgrades).
Are you talking about a UA ticket or an ANA ticket? That affects whose change policy applies.

It may also be tricky to hold the upgrades if they reissue the ticket. (I'm not sure).

Edit to add: if ANA auto rebooks the cancelled flights and UA auto reissues the ticket, then the safest route would be to fly the outbound, then call in to request a refund of the return. But I'm asking in case this doesn't happen, as I likely wouldn't be able to check in for the outbound with the ticket in limbo.
Agreed on all counts.

In either case, I probably wouldn't request for a refund until after you travel; the chance that the whole thing gets refunded is too great. If you end up with a ticket that's a mess, you can just call and say "can you just remove the return flights from the ticket for now, and I"ll figure out how to get home later?"
Old Jul 31, 2021, 11:43 pm

Are you talking about a UA ticket or an ANA ticket? That affects whose change policy applies.

It may also be tricky to hold the upgrades if they reissue the ticket. (I'm not sure).

Agreed on all counts.

In either case, I probably wouldn't request for a refund until after you travel; the chance that the whole thing gets refunded is too great. If you end up with a ticket that's a mess, you can just call and say "can you just remove the return flights from the ticket for now, and I"ll figure out how to get home later?"
UA ticket. Thanks for the pointer on removing the flights but not requesting a refund until the outbound is completed. Hopefully it (or whatever else needs to happen after the likely cancellation) doesn't mess up the upgrades on the outbound...
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:04 pm

If you end up with a ticket that's a mess, you can just call and say "can you just remove the return flights from the ticket for now, and I"ll figure out how to get home later?"
UA ticket. Thanks for the pointer on removing the flights but not requesting a refund until the outbound is completed. Hopefully it (or whatever else needs to happen after the likely cancellation) doesn't mess up the upgrades on the outbound...
One more question...what procedurally happens if/when I make that request? Is the ticket reissued with just the outbound segments (and hopefully the upgrade)? If not, will check-in for the outbound be inhibited in any way due to the weird ticket status (original ticket contains four segments but active PNR only contains two segments)?
Old Aug 1, 2021, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more question...what procedurally happens if/when I make that request? Is the ticket reissued with just the outbound segments (and hopefully the upgrade)? If not, will check-in for the outbound be inhibited in any way due to the weird ticket status (original ticket contains four segments but active PNR only contains two segments)?
They should not reissue. In order to reissue the tickets, they'd need a valid fare, and they wouldn't have one anymore (you're almost certainly on a round-trip fare and you would no longer have round-trip flights). What should happen is that the PNR gets cleaned up so that you can check-in, and that's the end of it.

At checkin, the system will not complain if you have additional downline coupons on your ticket beyond what's in the PNR. It's only going to check to make sure that you have valid coupons for today's travel.
SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and dkc192 like this.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:21 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Had to cancel a flight today. Was surprised to see that I was given a choice of refund, due a "schedule change" that had occurred (not why I was canceling). I faintly remember it being a complete re-route mess. I also think that I used an ETC to purchase the flight, which is probably not a thing. Either way, love that I finally get some sort of credit back to my cc!
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:59 am

Refund policy for schedule changes by United

What is United’s policy for refunds for schedule changes on their end? My upcoming flight was changed by one hour and I’m wondering if I can get a refund. The contract of carriage uses the term “significant change” (is 30 minutes their definition of significant?) and section 4 is a bit odd because it makes it seem that a refund is only possible if you aren’t put on another flight or take flight credit future use. The only options I’m given online are to accept the changes or make a one time change.

Quote from their contract of carriage:
  1. Schedule Change - When a Passenger’s Ticketed flight is affected because of a Schedule Change that modifies the original departure and/or arrival time by 30 minutes or more, UA will, at its election, arrange one of the following:
    1. Transport the Passenger on its closest available flight to the Destination, next Stopover point, or transfer point shown on its portion of the Ticket, without Stopover in the same class of service (subject to availability), at no additional cost to the Passenger; provided that if such alternate transportation results in a significant change to the originally scheduled departure or arrival times and the Passenger chooses not to accept such alternate transportation, United will (at the Passenger’s request) provide a refund;
    2. When a Schedule Change results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities, at UA’s sole discretion, UA may reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service; provided that if such alternate transportation results in a significant change to the originally scheduled departure or arrival times and the Passenger chooses not to accept such alternate transportation, United will (at the Passenger’s request) provide a refund;
    3. Advise the Passenger that the value of his or her Ticket may be applied toward future travel on United within one year from the date of issue without a change or reissue fee; or
    4. If the Passenger is not offered transportation as provided in C) 1) or 2) above and does not choose to apply the value of his or her Ticket toward future travel as provided in C) 3) above, the Passenger will be eligible for a refund upon request. See Rule 27 A).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.