Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 1:27 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
I have a flight on May 2 and it looks like it has dropped off the schedule in terms of being bookable after 4/30. There is nothing in the reservation about a schedule change and the seat map is 75% full. I thought maybe it could be sold out already but that flight is not available any day in May although all the other ones are. Should I be concerned?
Best to check if operating, such as on EF or KVS, vs sold out. Route, flight number?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Best to check if operating, such as on EF or KVS, vs sold out. Route, flight number?
2278 1:00pm LAX-IAD on 5/2
From the flight search it looks like that flight becomes 2131 11:16am starting 5/1
Ironically we were booked on an 11am and there had previously been a schedule change so we ended up on the 1pm
Thanks!
Old Apr 13, 2022, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by Say Vandelay
2278 1:00pm LAX-IAD on 5/2
From the flight search it looks like that flight becomes 2131 11:16am starting 5/1
Ironically we were booked on an 11am and there had previously been a schedule change so we ended up on the 1pm
Thanks!
That flight is booked full in all cabins. As far as I can tell it is operating (not being cancelled).

-RM
Old Apr 13, 2022, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
That flight is booked full in all cabins. As far as I can tell it is operating (not being cancelled).

-RM
Thank you, Rob!
Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Would a negligible schedule change (5 minutes) qualify for free rebooking if that change also includes a different partner airline than originally booked (in my case changing from Brussels to Swiss)?
Old Jul 29, 2022, 7:39 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
includes a different partner airline than originally booked (in my case changing from Brussels to Swiss)?
Absolutely! (less about the 5min and totally about the different airline)
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:43 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton and Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Delta Plat, United Silver, Hertz PC
Was I Really Entitled to My Refund?

Silver now thanks to Bonvoy Titanium so I have been flying United more. Last Monday I was supposed to fly 2428 from SAT-IAD. Sunday, I received a notification that my flight will be delayed due to equipment issues. It turns out the inbound turnaround plane had a 12 hour delay and was being repaired overnight at IAD and flew to SAT on Monday morning instead of Sunday evening.

My flight was now scheduled to leave at 0910 instead of 0720. Since I needed to be in DC earlier than the delayed flight would get me there, I eneded up flying Delta and cancelling my United flight. I wholly expected a credit for the fare, which would have been fine with me. However, I ended up recieving a refund, less the $30 that was a flight credit that I also got back as a nother credit.

Does anyone know why I received a refund? Is this because the delay was wholly Uniteds fault? Again, not complainig, I was just wondering.

I have been happy with United so far, though of the three flights that I have had out of SAT, I have had issues and had to change flight with two of them. Trying again tomorrow with another one.

Thanks.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by zdcatc12
Does anyone know why I received a refund? Is this because the delay was wholly Uniteds fault? Again, not complainig, I was just wondering.
Yep.

The portion of the fare you paid went back to the original payment, and the flight credit was returned as a flight credit. Seemed like everything worked as intended.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:53 am

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Silver now thanks to Bonvoy Titanium so I have been flying United more. Last Monday I was supposed to fly 2428 from SAT-IAD. Sunday, I received a notification that my flight will be delayed due to equipment issues. It turns out the inbound turnaround plane had a 12 hour delay and was being repaired overnight at IAD and flew to SAT on Monday morning instead of Sunday evening.

My flight was now scheduled to leave at 0910 instead of 0720. Since I needed to be in DC earlier than the delayed flight would get me there, I eneded up flying Delta and cancelling my United flight. I wholly expected a credit for the fare, which would have been fine with me. However, I ended up recieving a refund, less the $30 that was a flight credit that I also got back as a nother credit.

I have been happy with United so far, though of the three flights that I have had out of SAT, I have had issues and had to change flight with two of them. Trying again tomorrow with another one.

Thanks.
from the COC, you are entitled to a refund:

When a Schedule Change results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities, at UA’s sole discretion, UA may reroute Passengers over the lines of one or more carriers in an equivalent class of service; provided that if such alternate transportation results in a significant change to the originally scheduled departure or arrival times and the Passenger chooses not to accept such alternate transportation, United will (at the Passenger’s request) provide a refund;
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
How long was the delay ultimately? The usual rule is delay over two hours, you're entitled to a refund. UA may have been a bit generous with the policy application here. They now seem to err on the side of being generous after being slapped by DOT early in the pandemic.
Originally Posted by prestonh
from the COC, you are entitled to a refund:
The cited provision is not relevant, as it applies only to the situation where "a Schedule Change results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities."
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
.... My flight was now scheduled to leave at 0910 instead of 0720. ...
The normal cutoff for refunds vs credit is 2 hours delay in departure or arrival. Without nothing the arrival times, it does appear you may have been just under the 2 hour threshold but the arrival may have been above.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
How long was the delay ultimately? The usual rule is delay over two hours, you're entitled to a refund. UA may have been a bit generous with the policy application here. They now seem to err on the side of being generous after being slapped by DOT early in the pandemic.

The cited provision is not relevant, as it applies only to the situation where "a Schedule Change results in the cancellation of all UA service between two cities."
sorry, meant this section:

Irregular Operations
Old Jul 31, 2022, 10:33 am

sorry, meant this section:

Irregular Operations
Yes that is in the COC but it provides no specific conditions when UA will do a refund, except at its discretion. There is essentially nothing the passenger can rely on. However, elsewhere, such as Jetstream, UA is actually specific -- and for refunds it is schedule changes of 2 hours of arrival or departure. While UA can be more generously, the COC is of little value in providing guidance on refunds. UA initially (in early COVID days) tried to change to 24 hours and then 6 hours as the threshold using the same COC provisions.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yes that is in the COC but it provides no specific conditions when UA will do a refund, except at its discretion. There is essentially nothing the passenger can rely on. However, elsewhere, such as Jetstream, UA is actually specific -- and for refunds it is schedule changes of 2 hours of arrival or departure. While UA can be more generously, the COC is of little value in providing guidance on refunds. UA initially (in early COVID days) tried to change to 24 hours and then 6 hours as the threshold using the same COC provisions.
The OP asked whether they were entitled. the COC allows it in this circumstance. the entitlement to a refund is derived from the contractual right. that is all.
Old Jul 31, 2022, 12:35 pm

The OP asked whether they were entitled. the COC allows it in this circumstance. the entitlement to a refund is derived from the contractual right. that is all.
The problem is the COC does not provide an passenger entitlement, it is solely at UA's discretion on the circumstances. The DOT requires refund for cancellation and no replacement. So refunds for schedule changes is discretionary but defined outside of the COC as 2 hours. This unclear situtation was the source of refunds dispute during early days of COVID.

The COC allows UA to do refunds (to protect UA from having to delivery transportation when it is unable). The COC does not protect the passenger from unreasonable schedule changes. The DOT required airlines to have a "significant delay" threshold and not to change after the fact.
jsloan and SPN Lifer like this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 31, 2022 at 12:47 pm Reason: DOT "significant delay" threshold

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.