Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by learnedpaw
I booked a discount business fare in the big *A sale in July. Short trip, IAD-FRA-FLR-FRA-IAD.

Week or two ago got a note that my FRA-IAD flight had been canceled and I should call in to discuss. The FLR-FRA flight arrives too late to make any connection back to USA same day.

First rep told me I could move both the outbound and return up to 7 days - when I called back with my preferred dates (moving to the following weekend would be ideal) I was told first rep was mistaken, I couldn't move the outbound at all (without having to pay much higher price) and I could move the return by one day only. Not sure who is correct on that but ran into long hold times this am so will have to try again tomorrow. (It also seems pretty clear United can't or won't get me business class on any FRA-FLR-FRA flights which is an additional complication in rebooking).

Ultimately if I can't change the departure I'm OK keeping my original departure date and then, on the return, overnighting in FRA, flying FRA-IAD one day later than originally planned. Would I have any right to compensation from United for the overnight in FRA or perhaps and EU 261rights in this situation?

Any thoughts on whether I should be able to change the dates by 0, 1, or 7 days greatly appreciated!
Since only your return was affected - it appears the 2nd agent is correct in that you can't change your outbound without paying a fare difference.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
FLR = Firenze (Florence), Italy
Old Dec 3, 2021, 8:13 am

Can I get a refund to a credit card for a flight paid for with future flight credit?

In April 2021, I booked a flight for November 2021 (2 business class international RT for around $6,000 and change using my company's Break for Business discount). Paid for CC

COVID decided we weren't traveling in 2021, so around August or September, I tried to change the dates on the original booking, and couldn't get it to work with the BfB discount, so I canceled the flights for the future flight credit, and rebooked the flights for March 2022.

COVID and now personal family health reasons have decided we likely aren't traveling in March 2022 either, and I don't know if or when we will be able to take this trip. My flight is eligible for a refund to the original payment method due to a schedule change. Normally this would be a perfect opportunity to get a full refund. But I'd like a refund to my credit card. Is this possible? Or am I going to be stuck with a FFC that expires in April 2022 since that's a year after the original booking?
Old Dec 3, 2021, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Refunds are returned to the same Form of Payment (FoP) by UA as a matter of policy. .

So a refund to a credit card for a purchase or portion of a purchase that was not made by that credit card is normally not done.
Old Dec 3, 2021, 7:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by t325
Or am I going to be stuck with a FFC that expires in April 2022 since that's a year after the original booking?
All FFCs have been extended until 31 December 2022.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 9:36 am

Itinerary changed (different layover location and flight times)

So I bought a ticket for my mom to come visit. They changed the airport layover into Chicago instead of Houston. The issue is that it makes the flight time much longer since Chicago is more out of the way, and it's a 2 hour layover in Chicago instead of 75 minutes. This means instead of landing around 845pm she lands at 1030, which is way less convenient for everyone.

So united will let me change it to any United flight for free, or refund via a future flight credit. The problem is there is no other United flight that is a good option. They have huge layovers or require 2 stops and get in even later. I want to book a flight on American. The problem with a future flight credit is that it will be in my mom's name, which isn't ideal. Is there any way United would give me a refund or an etc instead?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 11:17 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Jotapay
So I bought a ticket for my mom to come visit. They changed the airport layover into Chicago instead of Houston. The issue is that it makes the flight time much longer since Chicago is more out of the way, and it's a 2 hour layover in Chicago instead of 75 minutes. This means instead of landing around 845pm she lands at 1030, which is way less convenient for everyone.

So united will let me change it to any United flight for free, or refund via a future flight credit. The problem is there is no other United flight that is a good option. They have huge layovers or require 2 stops and get in even later. I want to book a flight on American. The problem with a future flight credit is that it will be in my mom's name, which isn't ideal. Is there any way United would give me a refund or an etc instead?
The change does not meet the present refund criteria -- but it is close, you can try and ask. Might happen but understand it may not.

Plus there may be further schedules changes in the future that may bump it up to the 2 hour mark.

UA is no longer using ETCs for flight changes.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:54 pm

United flight cancelled - refund?

I booked a flight to Denver three months ago, and last Tuesday United cancelled the flight the night before I was to depart. They claimed that the flight was cancelled due to "severed weather conditions" but I was able to scramble and book a flight with another airline and the flight landed in Denver with no issues. When they cancelled my flight, United gave me the option to find other flights but I searched and there was nothing available (not surprising because they cancelled other flights to Denver that day). I called United and waited on hold for well over a half hour before I gave up and hung up. I had the option to select a "credit online", so I chose that, hoping that I can still talk to someone at United and see if I can get a refund, rather than a credit. My plan is to point out that "they" cancelled my flight, so why can't I simply get my money back rather than a credit that I have a limited time to use. Any tips or pointers?

Thanks,

Dave
Old Mar 15, 2022, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
When a flight is cancelled you are entitled to a refund.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Just apply for a refund online, takes a couple weeks.

It's automated or part of the online workflow in some cases, but not all.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 1:23 pm

Thanks guys. I'm an idiot, I didn't see the "refund" tab on the web site. I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Cheers,

Dave
Old Apr 8, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
If you rebook with fare difference waived either through agency or United directly; do you only get the original PQPs or the current fare?

I’m not sure if they post your implied fare amount or the paid-in amount regardless of the current fare. (The united rebooking search engine shows higher PQP for higher fare class options..

Also if you rebook into full J fare, does that provide any additional flexibility in changing to an earlier/later flight prior to SDC? (For SDC I presume it does make a huge difference since it’s basically near last seat availability)
Old Apr 8, 2022, 3:18 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
If you rebook with fare difference waived either through agency or United directly; do you only get the original PQPs or the current fare? ...
Definitely what you paid / purchased

Also if you rebook into full J fare, does that provide any additional flexibility in changing to an earlier/later flight prior to SDC? (For SDC I presume it does make a huge difference since it’s basically near last seat availability)
Recent app experience was purchase fare class but on the phone you might get lucky
Old Apr 8, 2022, 8:20 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Definitely what you paid / purchased

Recent app experience was purchase fare class but on the phone you might get lucky
the website is definitely showing J in the select a new flight flow, because that’s all that’s left, but I duno what it’ll actually book.

If it does book into J, is there any benefits (over like D) other than SDC?
Old Apr 13, 2022, 7:35 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, IHG Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Avis PC
I have a flight on May 2 and it looks like it has dropped off the schedule in terms of being bookable after 4/30. There is nothing in the reservation about a schedule change and the seat map is 75% full. I thought maybe it could be sold out already but that flight is not available any day in May although all the other ones are. Should I be concerned?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.