Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2021, 10:08 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Markie
It was a greater than 2 hours change, I was promised a refund by the agent but Customer Service are now refusing. ...
Something is missing in this. Was there a possible reroute that was under two hours? Did the first agent not look at alternatives?

(In addition they have not given me a Future Flight Credit, although they are not refusing to do this).
What state is this PNR in? heck https://www.united.com/en/US/manageres/mytrips
Is it in the Cancelled tab? Past?
FFC? are generally in https://www.united.com/en/US/account

Is the trip date passed?
Old Apr 25, 2021, 3:17 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Was there a possible reroute that was under two hours? Did the first agent not look at alternatives?
I was happy with a refund as I cannot fly the trip due to no entry to US. Once the agent confirmed it was OK for a refund I was sold.

Is it in the Cancelled tab? Past? -
Cancelled indeed
FFC? are generally in https://www.united.com/en/US/account

Is the trip date passed?
No
Old Apr 25, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Was there a possible reroute that was under two hours? Did the first agent not look at alternatives?
I was happy with a refund as I cannot fly the trip due to no entry to US. Once the agent confirmed it was OK for a refund I was sold.
This is where the agent potentially messed up, It there is a viable reroute within the 2 hour window, UA may then not offer a refund.

Is it in the Cancelled tab? Past? -
Cancelled indeed
Sometimes happens, so you will have to call to use (which IMO you should do for FFC as the online rebooking tool is flaky)

You probably can call and get it moved to FFC area
Old Apr 27, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, UA Gold
Currently flying PIT-EWR-IAH-BJX, but had a schedule change of 1hr30min to arrive in BJX pretty late (also leaving 1hr 30min earlier). I want to just change to an earlier flight IAH-QRO. QRO is 88 miles as the crow flies from BJX, so it seems to me this would be valid based on the Jetstream rules listed in the wiki (alternative airport within 100 miles).

Just called in and the agent tried to, but failed to get this to work. Misinformed agent? Am I missing something here? Ironically she said I could refund, but it was under 2 hours

I know I could get a direct flight to IAH but I need the miles
Old May 1, 2021, 12:05 pm

3 legs of a 6-leg RT to Europe in September just got canceled (not rebooked), including 1st leg of outbound. Cash ticket. At "Cancel Options" the only choice is FFC. No refund option. Gonna call but not happy that UA appears to be playing games here hiding the easy refund option.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by shdflyer
3 legs of a 6-leg RT to Europe in September just got canceled (not rebooked), including 1st leg of outbound. Cash ticket. At "Cancel Options" the only choice is FFC. No refund option. Gonna call but not happy that UA appears to be playing games here hiding the easy refund option.
Was this an all new cash purchase? no FFC, no ETC, no travel bank, ... If none of those and no approrpiate reroute offer, it should be an easy refund call.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Was this an all new cash purchase? no FFC, no ETC, no travel bank, ... If none of those and no approrpiate reroute offer, it should be an easy refund call.
Yep, all cash purchase, easy refund. But one shouldn't have to call for such an obvious refund situation. Those not as savvy as us will think FFC is their only option because that is the single option offered. I thought UA had stopped playing games with refunds, but evidently not.
Old May 1, 2021, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Yep, all cash purchase, easy refund. But one shouldn't have to call for such an obvious refund situation. Those not as savvy as us will think FFC is their only option because that is the single option offered. I thought UA had stopped playing games with refunds, but evidently not.
Couldn't it be a website coding error?
Old May 1, 2021, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
well, the rule is when UA can't get you to your destination within 2 hours. So for domestic ticket the automatic refund notice tends to show up. For intl. trips where UA can use UA-codeshares on *A airlines easily the situation is much less black/white and UA understandably wants you to call them and discuss options.
In my experience there isn't much of a pushback, but most travelers will not know about the options that an agent has access to for TATL/TPAC travel and if you still want to fly ... speaking with an agent is the right choice.
shdflyer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Crazy experiences with flight credits

In April I was super excited that flying might be coming back, and when the no-change-fees "book with confidence" advertising started, I stupidly bit, probably without reading the fine print. I booked over 14 trips for the remainder of the year with all that "confidence". Oops. My major excitement was being able to secure

Fast forward 3 months, United has swapped planes or fully cancelled flights on almost every single itinerary I've booked. Highlights so far have been:
* Booked international travel with Premium Plus (paid) legs in US connecting with Polaris over the pond (SFO<->EWR<->LHR<->BER), was downgraded to Economy on the domestic legs without notice even though it was originally paid premium plus (no such cabin on the new flight). No refund was given either. When I called, they told me "well, yeah, you're on a priority upgrade waitlist for that" to which I responded the new flight had no such cabin. Ended up having to rebook. Then this entire thing happened again on the rebooked flight!
* Due to the above changes, I rebooked again flying SFO <-> EWR <-> BRU <-> BER instead. The $133 tax for transiting in a premium cabin via LHR, when I rebooked to connect via BRU instead, were not refunded. Had to request it three times and the agents were completely confused
* Found out the rebooked flight was actually $300 cheaper than my original booking, but they would not give me that credit. So I decided to cancel the itinerary thinking I could just rebook it. Big mistake. When cancelling, it turned the ticket into a flight credit and the taxes into an ECert and I could no longer combine them back? So I had to spend more money to rebook because you can't combine ECerts and flight credits.
* I used the remaining ECerts to rebook some other flights. Guess what, United changed those flights also and rebooked me on new flights automatically... that had 18 hour layovers. ??? These were domestic trips! Called to rebook and discovered I'd lost all the upgrades.

On and on and on...

Basically I'm now stuck. I would just request refunds and book closer to the trips at this point because United's flights keep getting swapped, but they won't give me a refund, only flight credits, and the flight credits keep having all sorts of issues when trying to actually use them.

I can't possibly be alone here. I'm sure I've lost money in the shuffle, and now I've realized that through all this rebooking and combining/splitting of flight credits and ECerts, any flight credits have been slowly creeping back their expiration dates because, apparently, if you combine two flight credits and then end up cancelling or changing that trip, the new credits take on the closest expiration date across all certs. Eek.

This is mostly just grumbling but am I alone here in wishing they would just issue certs? I took a good faith position to spend money with them on resuming travel in full and I feel like I'm being jerked around quite a bit now and am going to actually lose money on all this (and time!).
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:06 am

If the schedule changes resulted in a 2 hour change in departure or arrival (from the originally booked schedule), you are due a refund. With 18 hour layovers, you probably qualify. Also, the experience of most (recently) are ETC s from flights booked with ETCs are new and have a new 2-year window.

As for the changes, in April there was more optimism things internationally would improve, that has not happened and all the airlines have had to re-adjust. Even now, there is still great uncertainty. But if you booked in April, you have until April 2022 to commence travel and the ETCs should be even further out.
Old Jul 15, 2021, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium
Glad I caught this. My Koa-yyc trip was changed by a few hours and I thought it was still six hours

Anyways called and they cancelled and refunded no problem (at least as a 1k)

UA has always been really good with these changes over the years for me can’t complain one bit

thanks !!
Old Jul 26, 2021, 10:23 am

Quick question: I have a booking AAA-ZZZ in September. I'm thinking of changing it to BBB-ZZZ in October, for a very small fare difference. If UA cancels my new flight from BBB and reroutes me, can I still choose to receive a full refund on the ticket (both the original fare paid and the additional date difference)?

Does it make any difference if I do a ticket change vs if I cancel the first ticket and receive a credit, then use the credit towards purchase of the new ticket?

Thanks.
Old Jul 26, 2021, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bram
Quick question: I have a booking AAA-ZZZ in September. I'm thinking of changing it to BBB-ZZZ in October, for a very small fare difference. If UA cancels my new flight from BBB and reroutes me, can I still choose to receive a full refund on the ticket (both the original fare paid and the additional date difference)?
Yes.

Does it make any difference if I do a ticket change vs if I cancel the first ticket and receive a credit, then use the credit towards purchase of the new ticket?
I would do it in one operation if possible. In theory, it shouldn't matter, because the system should see cancel / rebook as a change and proceed accordingly. If you ended up with a new PNR, as opposed to keeping the same PNR with the new flights in it, you could have a problem getting a full refund to your original form of payment. That shouldn't happen in any case, but there are ways to imagine it happening in a cancel / rebook scenario (basically, if UA mistakenly gave you a 'refund' to an Electronic Travel Credit, you'd probably be stuck with that henceforth).
Old Jul 26, 2021, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Does it make any difference if I do a ticket change vs if I cancel the first ticket and receive a credit, then use the credit towards purchase of the new ticket?.
there is essentially no difference doing one or the other. Canceling and rebooking just takes two steps instead of one. Essentially canceling is the same as a change, with the selection of your new itinerary later vs. now. There is absolutely no reason I can imagine not to do this as a change if you know what you want (unless you think the fare will drop later, and even then, you can still take advantage of a same flight drop later, thought it is a bit of a PITA).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.