Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
This is UA's guidance to TA's (on Jetstream) on re-scheduling

Additional parameters for flights impacted by schedule changes for United-operated flights
  1. Non-stops may go to connecting flights, and connecting flights may go to non-stops
  2. Connecting hub may be changed
  3. If original day of departure is unavailable, may depart 7 days prior to or after original departure date. If outbound flight is impacted, subsequent flights on same itinerary may be changed to maintain original length of trip.***
  4. Alternate airports within a 250-mile radius of the original origin or departure airport***
    • Change may apply to origin and destination, but must be changed at the original time of ticket reissue
    • Customer is responsible for any additional expenses incurred
**United Basic Economy fares booked in "N" class must remain in "N" class when eligible for self-service rebooking due to unacceptable schedule changes or irregular operations. If "N" class is unavailable, please contact United’s Customer Contact Centers for assistance. Rebooking into an ineligible booking class may result in the issuance of a debit memo. For non-Basic Economy fares, do not rebook into "N" class.

***Continuing or return travel dates may be voluntarily changed on UA segments only in the original inventory class to maintain the original length of stay prior to the re-accommodation. Changes to the return flight must be in the same PNR and be made in the same transaction as the re-accommodation of the outbound flight. The change fee and add/collect will be waived for changes made to the return (original class of service only).

Unacceptable (UA): Misconnecting itinerary | Change to originally scheduled arrival or departure time of at least
+ / - 30 minutes
Options Change to alternate UA flight (same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule)

Unacceptable (UA): Change to original arrival or departure time of 2 hours or more | Flight(s) canceled with no protection| Flight goes from non-stop to connection Options Change to alternate UA flight with same origin and destination and original operating carrier or carrier permitted as noted in fare rule, or travel agencies can refund through ARC, BSP, GDS.

Related thread: Check Your UA Itineraries for Schedule Changes and what to do after one

Archive: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...d-archive.html

Print Wikipost

Schedule Change(Back to 2hrs)/Cancelation Refund

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:03 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Refunds require a schedule change of departure or arrival time by 2 hours. You might squeak under that a bit but not likely just an hour.
You can always try but 2 hours is the norm.

This is documented here
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by scubacat1
...The contract of carriage uses the term “significant change” (is 30 minutes their definition of significant?) and section 4 is a bit odd because it makes it seem that a refund is only possible if you aren’t put on another flight or take flight credit future use.
In aligning with DOT regulations, “significant change” is specifically not defined to maximize consumer protection. Whether a significant change is sufficient for a refund depends on your circumstance.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:27 am

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Refunds require a schedule change of departure or arrival time by 2 hours. You might squeak under that a bit but not likely just an hour.
You can always try but 2 hours is the norm.

This is documented here
Thank you for this. I don’t know why they don’t mention the 2 hour minimum in the COC and only mention the 30 minute schedule changes. Sounds like I probably don’t have any recourse but might try calling if their hold times aren’t terrible.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Thank you for this. I don’t know why they don’t mention the 2 hour minimum in the COC and only mention the 30 minute schedule changes. Sounds like I probably don’t have any recourse but might try calling if their hold times aren’t terrible.
Go for it. And let us know how it goes.

David
Old Sep 7, 2021, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Because they wanted to be able to change it more quickly. In fact, UA had the opinion that they could change the refund policy retroactively -- check out March and April 2020 -- but the DOT didn't see things the same way.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:03 pm

I booked an international ticket with multiple segments and one of the segments was cancelled by United. I called customer service today and they agreed to refund my ticket since they cancelled the last leg of my trip. Original payment was half cash and half ETC (used a friend's ETC). The United agent said I should get an email with a new ETC immediately (or shortly) and the portion paid with cash should be refunded in about a week. It's been a few hours and no confirmation email / no new ETC. Does anyone have an idea of how long it should take under this scenario? Hoping to rebook the flight with a new route.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hoangtri1
I booked an international ticket with multiple segments and one of the segments was cancelled by United. I called customer service today and they agreed to refund my ticket since they cancelled the last leg of my trip. Original payment was half cash and half ETC (used a friend's ETC). The United agent said I should get an email with a new ETC immediately (or shortly) and the portion paid with cash should be refunded in about a week. It's been a few hours and no confirmation email / no new ETC. Does anyone have an idea of how long it should take under this scenario? Hoping to rebook the flight with a new route.
I would call back - I generally get the ETC immediately.
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I would call back - I generally get the ETC immediately.
Sometimes refunds to ETC need manual review and that seems to take a week to 10 days

In a refund case, does the ETC go to the traveller or the original form of payment (and original ETC recipient?)
Old Sep 13, 2021, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Sometimes refunds to ETC need manual review and that seems to take a week to 10 days

In a refund case, does the ETC go to the traveller or the original form of payment (and original ETC recipient?)

The ticket was booked using 4 separate ETCs - on the phone, the agent said she could not tell me the new ETC for privacy reasons but told me the last 2 or 3 digits so it seems like it's already created. I just chatted with United via chat and they said it takes 3-5 days. If it doesn't go to the traveler (me), then how does that work? There were actually 2 different recipients - would they both receive e-mails with new ETCs?
Old Sep 13, 2021, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by hoangtri1
... If it doesn't go to the traveler (me), then how does that work? There were actually 2 different recipients - would they both receive e-mails with new ETCs?
Have no idea how this will work. But the general principle for refunds is the refund goes back to the original method of funding, so if it goes back to the original owners of the original ETC. But honestly, my earlier comment was more of a question, than a statement.
jsloan and hoangtri1 like this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 1:03 pm

Wasn't sure where to post so I am piggybacking on this post:

I booked a codeshare TATL flight on LX (P fare), and my connecting flight (ZRH-ATH) was cancelled. They rebooked me on an earlier flight that departs ZRH while I am still over the North Atlantic (obviously a misconnect). I can rebook online to a connecting flight the following morning for $50 more, which is probably OK. My main question is what are my rights in this situation? Am I entitled to a full refund due to the cancellation? If I contact UA directly, would I be able to switch to the later flight for no charge? Honestly, $50 will not make or break me, but if a few minutes on Twitter can save me the money, it is time well spent. If I can cancel and get a refund, I could book on TK for the same price and get 35% more miles (but that may be a PITA since Turkey and Greece are not very good friends right now).
Old Sep 30, 2021, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by downinit
Wasn't sure where to post so I am piggybacking on this post:

I booked a codeshare TATL flight on LX (P fare), and my connecting flight (ZRH-ATH) was cancelled. They rebooked me on an earlier flight that departs ZRH while I am still over the North Atlantic (obviously a misconnect). I can rebook online to a connecting flight the following morning for $50 more, which is probably OK. My main question is what are my rights in this situation? Am I entitled to a full refund due to the cancellation? If I contact UA directly, would I be able to switch to the later flight for no charge? Honestly, $50 will not make or break me, but if a few minutes on Twitter can save me the money, it is time well spent. If I can cancel and get a refund, I could book on TK for the same price and get 35% more miles (but that may be a PITA since Turkey and Greece are not very good friends right now).
You are entitled to a full refund. UA may rebook you on the following morning's flight without collecting the additional fare; your chances of success might be higher if you have status. Personally, if I had chosen to stick with LX, I'd try asking for the rebook without additional fare collection 2-3 times (hanging up and calling back each time you get a "no") before just giving up and paying the $50 myself.
downinit likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 1:13 pm

I booked a codeshare TATL flight on LX (P fare), and my connecting flight (ZRH-ATH) was cancelled. They rebooked me on an earlier flight that departs ZRH while I am still over the North Atlantic (obviously a misconnect). I can rebook online to a connecting flight the following morning for $50 more, which is probably OK. ...
..If I contact UA directly, would I be able to switch to the later flight for no charge?
If a UA ticket, Calling will get that fixed, should be $0

.. My main question is what are my rights in this situation? Am I entitled to a full refund due to the cancellation? .....
If UA ticket and if UA can not rebook you to the original destination within two hours of the original booked schedule, then you are eligible for a refund.
downinit likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 7:05 am

I was able to switch flights for free via Twitter, which was fairly painless and continues to be the best way to reach any airline. My dilemma solved itself when the discounted TK inventory disappeared a few hours after my initial search. The new flights actually work out better, as I will have a leisurely overnight in ZRH instead of arriving in ATH at 00:30.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 2:22 pm

Programs: United Premier Plat, Hyatt Diamond
I booked a discount business fare in the big *A sale in July. Short trip, IAD-FRA-FLR-FRA-IAD.

Week or two ago got a note that my FRA-IAD flight had been canceled and I should call in to discuss. The FLR-FRA flight arrives too late to make any connection back to USA same day.

First rep told me I could move both the outbound and return up to 7 days - when I called back with my preferred dates (moving to the following weekend would be ideal) I was told first rep was mistaken, I couldn't move the outbound at all (without having to pay much higher price) and I could move the return by one day only. Not sure who is correct on that but ran into long hold times this am so will have to try again tomorrow. (It also seems pretty clear United can't or won't get me business class on any FRA-FLR-FRA flights which is an additional complication in rebooking).

Ultimately if I can't change the departure I'm OK keeping my original departure date and then, on the return, overnighting in FRA, flying FRA-IAD one day later than originally planned. Would I have any right to compensation from United for the overnight in FRA or perhaps and EU 261rights in this situation?

Any thoughts on whether I should be able to change the dates by 0, 1, or 7 days greatly appreciated!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.