Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
While a *G BP is the easiest way to get lounge access, sometimes that fails to be on the BP. So as a backup you might then need to produce a digital *G card with UA's app, with *A Gold symbol and/or bar code.

To get the bar code, tap on the card and it flips over.

For displaying the *A Gold emblem, the two major smartphone apps work differently

For IOS/Apple you need to move the card to the Apple Wallet.

For Android, the front of the card shows the *A Gold symbol but it is not very large.
Should work as is, but if need be, you can enlarge by enabling the triple tap magnifier or screen capture to Gallery and enlarge the picture.

From Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019-2020], it appears *G BP or the digital card is sufficient for lounge access. The past issues requiring the physical card are "past history" unless one can not produce a *G BP or UA app digital card.

Print Wikipost

Displaying *G card on UA apps

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:59 pm

Programs: *
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Agree that, with a *G logo on the BP there is no need for a physical card. I never even carry mine.
Some airlines seem notorious, however, in somehow not transferring the *Gold and FF details to the boarding pass even though it is in the reservation. I have experienced this more with AC and ET and very occasionally have seen it on other carriers if the first leg of flight was on a different * airline. If traveling in Y and *G not on boarding pass, I will always ask to generate a fresh boarding pass that includes my *status. Sometimes this may not be possible at the originating airport, if a different airline, and may have to be done at the airport in which you are trying to gain access to the lounge. Of note you can also be denied priority boarding if the boarding card does not have *G so another reason to always make sure it is included.
Kannai likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:08 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I have been a UA Premier Gold for the last several years.

Last year, the digital card on the UA app showed the front of the card. I had no trouble getting into about a dozen non-UA Star Alliance lounges.

For some reason, this year's card doesn't show the front of the card in the app .... (
This has been an issue for all of 2019
On my Android phone, the front of the card is displayed with the *A Gold logo and tapping on the card just shows the back. So on the Android it is there today. If too small or the agent, you can as discussed in Jan 2019
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
On the Andriod phones you can triple-tap to magnify, other phone OSs likely have similar functions.
or screen save to the gallery and zoom in on the logo

Originally Posted by Kacee
Until you do.

This has been an issue with LH and LX for many years.
Originally Posted by Kacee
Anyone lecturing OP about not bringing the physical card, please remember that UA no longer provides physical cards to Premier Gold.

It's all that needed IN THEORY. As you well know, LH has been known to require the card despite the rule.
That is rather old data. In the past 12-18 months, things have been working much better per

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...rd-2019-a.html

Do you have a recent denial experience where the BP or digital card was not sufficient?
It seems the agents have gotten with the program.

This case of the OP unable to display the *A Gold logo is a different issue.
atword likes this.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 2, 2020 at 7:17 pm
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I have been a UA Premier Gold for the last several years.

Last year, the digital card on the UA app showed the front of the card. I had no trouble getting into about a dozen non-UA Star Alliance lounges.

For some reason, this year's card doesn't show the front of the card in the app

As a result, I was denied entry into a Lufthansa lounge. The lounge attendant was actually very nice. She even called "someone" on the phone and spent 10 minutes trying to figure it out. However, whoever she was talking to on the phone said no. They were talking in German so I had no idea what exactly they said. However, it basically was about the app not showing the front of the card.

I ended up just sitting around the boarding gate area for 40 minutes because I just didn't have the energy to walk to the other lounge to try my luck.

Was there something with my United app? I tried it on my iPhone as well as Android tablet. Both just showed the back of the card....
I know this may sound academic, but were you traveling on a flight operated by a *A carrier?
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
or screen save to the gallery and zoom in on the logo
Not doubting you for a second that this actually works and is a good and effective way to gain access to the LH lounge, but COME ON: how can showing a digital image be proof of anything??
Has LH never heard of Photoshop?
A Boarding Pass (showing Star Alliance GOLD) should be MUCH more of secure proof than any digital image stored on someone's phone!
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:57 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by narvik
... A Boarding Pass (showing Star Alliance GOLD) should be MUCH more of secure proof than any digital image stored on someone's phone!
Not disagreeing with that but many agents had been living in a world of past rules (although that seems to have greatly diminished).
But the more pertinent issue is when the BP not showing the *G status which while rare does appear to occasionally happen for a few carriers -- so this is where the digital card is needed.
narvik likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Screen saving, magnifying, add to Apple, Android, you have got to be kidding me (but yes, thanks for the suggestions as I am sure some will bother). This is basics. It used to properly show the front/back, it doesn't now, if that is a conscious decision the programmer that did that would be given a clip around the ear and told to report to a grown-up before they made any other changes. Just 100% sloppy whenever this surfaced.

Originally Posted by Collierkr
a reported issue, yes. However, probably very few from a percentage perspective. My guess is that many of these didn’t have their FF# linked and thus their BP was not reflecting Gold status.
But if you are in that "few" and everything else lines up correctly (ie. going back to the OP description) then it is a 100% failure. It is so frustrating when it happens because you just want things to work the way you are expecting them to work without having to point to rules, take screenshots, use other apps. I read somewhere that with all this new technology things were going to get better.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 3, 2020 at 1:35 am Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: UA GS 2.2MM / UC / AS Gold 75K / Bonvoy Plat / Hilton Diamond
I actually am with the OP on this one. With the rollout of the new app, they’ve eliminated the *G designation from the in-app boarding pass, and from the digital Apple Wallet version of the pass. When my partner and I tried to use the Avianca lounge in MEX (because the UA lounge is a good 15 minute walk to the far INTL gates), we couldn’t get in with our digital BPs. When I presented the digital card, it created all sorts of confusion and required them calling a supervisor. After 10 minutes we abandoned mission. Same thing happened in NZ and again in China, but in both cases I had my physical card with me. Bottom line, it causes a delay and is a pain in some cases, and should just be fixed.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:08 am

Programs: UA Gold (1K 2016–2023 by miracle extensions; RIP 1K status), 1MM
Originally Posted by kevflyer
I was asked for my *G proof at ANA lounge in NRT. Had *G on BP. Good thing I had the digital card. Was a UA G at the time so no physical card.
At the ANA lounge, for some reason the *G/MP number theoretically gets you in but in my experience they often (on non-NH flights) need to manually enter the number anyway. When you showed the digital card, didn't they reverse it and type in your MP# number? That's been my experience dozens of times.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Screen saving, magnifying, add to Apple, Android, you have got to be kidding me (but yes, thanks for the suggestions as I am sure some will bother). This is basics. It used to properly show the front/back, it doesn't now,
Why does a lounge agent need to see the back?
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Why does a lounge agent need to see the back?
Haven't got a clue.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 12:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Kannai
At the ANA lounge, for some reason the *G/MP number theoretically gets you in but in my experience they often (on non-NH flights) need to manually enter the number anyway. When you showed the digital card, didn't they reverse it and type in your MP# number? That's been my experience dozens of times.
They may have manually entered my MP#. I handed the phone to the agent but I don't recall what they did exactly. I was on a 016 ticket and UA flight.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 1:18 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Could it be that the OP was actually flying on Eurowings?
Eurowings boarding passes usually do not show *G status, since Eurowings is not part of Star Alliance.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 2:25 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Could it be that the OP was actually flying on Eurowings?
Eurowings boarding passes usually do not show *G status, since Eurowings is not part of Star Alliance.
While Eurowings BPs don't show *A status, every time I fly them, I have my MP # attached to my reservation, and my EW BP gets me into the LH lounge every time. In fact, in 2019, I flew LH/OS/LX 10 times, EW 6 times, and other *A carriers 14 times, and got into every LH/OS/LX/SK/TK lounge without showing my physical card.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
and got into every LH/OS/LX/SK/TK lounge without showing my physical card.
Good to know.
I didnt know that TK/OS/LX/SK have concluded a bilateral agreement with the FFP airlines (e.g. United) to accept Eurowings pax into their lounges.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 3:41 am

Originally Posted by warakorn
Good to know.
I didnt know that TK/OS/LX/SK have concluded a bilateral agreement with the FFP airlines (e.g. United) to accept Eurowings pax into their lounges.
They haven't, AFAIK. The 6 times I flew EW, the only lounge I used is a LH lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.