Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
While a *G BP is the easiest way to get lounge access, sometimes that fails to be on the BP. So as a backup you might then need to produce a digital *G card with UA's app, with *A Gold symbol and/or bar code.

To get the bar code, tap on the card and it flips over.

For displaying the *A Gold emblem, the two major smartphone apps work differently

For IOS/Apple you need to move the card to the Apple Wallet.

For Android, the front of the card shows the *A Gold symbol but it is not very large.
Should work as is, but if need be, you can enlarge by enabling the triple tap magnifier or screen capture to Gallery and enlarge the picture.

From Recent Denials of admission to *A Lounges due to lack of UA *G card [2019-2020], it appears *G BP or the digital card is sufficient for lounge access. The past issues requiring the physical card are "past history" unless one can not produce a *G BP or UA app digital card.

Print Wikipost

Displaying *G card on UA apps

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Vangrovsky
I was denied again at the Lufthansa lounge in Hamburg. Two employees both insisted that I had to have the "real" plastic card, which according to MileagePlus rep, no longer existed. The Star gold indication on the boarding pass was "unacceptable" according to the Lufthansa employees.

I'll contact MileagePlus again via email, but I'm pretty sure that they'll just give me another 5000 miles as a goodwill gestures. (which was they they did twice last year after I got denied by Lufthansa at two different airports) Oh well... 5000 miles is worth about the same as a couple cups of coffee at the airport Starbucks.

Was the MileagePlus not telling the truth about the gold card no longer in existence? Even for someone who became a gold member for the first time?
That is very strange. I normally just scan my BP and all is good. I don'r recall ever being asked for the card there.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:59 am

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by LondonElite
That is very strange. I normally just scan my BP and all is good. I don'r recall ever being asked for the card there.
That's the way it works most of the time. There have been reports, many here, of *G status not being embedded in the BP for one reason or another.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
That's the way it works most of the time. There have been reports, many here, of *G status not being embedded in the BP for one reason or another.
my boarding pass did show my status... but when they scanned it, the system didn't like it.

I even logged into my UA account on the UA app to show them my status... they just kept saying "where is the plastic card? we need to see it"
Old Feb 4, 2020, 9:46 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I was denied again at the Lufthansa lounge in Hamburg. Two employees both insisted that I had to have the "real" plastic card, which according to MileagePlus rep, no longer existed. The Star gold indication on the boarding pass was "unacceptable" according to the Lufthansa employees....
And what happened showing them the digital app virtual card?

Or was this related to the previous reported app issue?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
I was denied again at the Lufthansa lounge in Hamburg. Two employees both insisted that I had to have the "real" plastic card, which according to MileagePlus rep, no longer existed. The Star gold indication on the boarding pass was "unacceptable" according to the Lufthansa employees.

I'll contact MileagePlus again via email, but I'm pretty sure that they'll just give me another 5000 miles as a goodwill gestures. (which was they they did twice last year after I got denied by Lufthansa at two different airports) Oh well... 5000 miles is worth about the same as a couple cups of coffee at the airport Starbucks.

Was the MileagePlus not telling the truth about the gold card no longer in existence? Even for someone who became a gold member for the first time?
What was the issue when scanning the BP? That should work without any mention of a gold card. Did you show them the digital card on your phone?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 10:32 am

my boarding pass did show my status... but when they scanned it, the system didn't like it.

I even logged into my UA account on the UA app to show them my status... they just kept saying "where is the plastic card? we need to see it"
Just so everyone reading this has the right info, what “status” did you show the LH lounge reps?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:35 pm
Original Poster

Just so everyone reading this has the right info, what “status” did you show the LH lounge reps?
My Apple Wallet had a picture of the MileagePlus Gold card with expiration date of 1/2020, so my status was still valid at the time. The current one shows expiration date of 1/2021.

LH employee said (exact quote) "we have no way of looking to see if you didn't photo shop this United card on your mobile..."

Said pretty much the same thing when I pointed to the status shown on my printed boarding pass.

Basically they were accusing me of knowing how to use Photoshop.(which for an old geezer like me was nearly impossible)
Old Feb 4, 2020, 1:49 pm

My Apple Wallet had a picture of the MileagePlus Gold card with expiration date of 1/2020, so my status was still valid at the time. The current one shows expiration date of 1/2021.

LH employee said (exact quote) "we have no way of looking to see if you didn't photo shop this United card on your mobile..."

Said pretty much the same thing when I pointed to the status shown on my printed boarding pass.

Basically they were accusing me of knowing how to use Photoshop.(which for an old geezer like me was nearly impossible)
Wow, I'd contact United about that one. They didn't even look up your reservation to see if your MP number was in there? That should have instantly verified your *G status.
cuthroat likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:26 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
How does one refresh or get a new MP virtual card for Apple? The one that expired on 1/2020 can't be updated and I don't see an option to add a new virtual card via the app (I do see how to do it for my United Club card)
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Wow, I'd contact United about that one. They didn't even look up your reservation to see if your MP number was in there? That should have instantly verified your *G status.
The Lufthansa employee did see my status. They called someone on the phone. They spoke in German, so I had no idea what they said. But when she hung up, she said that yes, it "appeared" that I was Gold, but they still needed to see the actual card that United mailed to me. If felt like talking to Lassie, because she didn't seem to comprehend the part about United not making physical cards anymore.

The last two times this happend(again, both Lufthansa), United just sent me canned responses and gave me 5000 miles. This is a 3rd strike, so I'm going to ask for a million miles as compensation?( JUST KIDDING)
Silver Fox and cuthroat like this.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by mh3265a
How does one refresh or get a new MP virtual card for Apple? The one that expired on 1/2020 can't be updated and I don't see an option to add a new virtual card via the app (I do see how to do it for my United Club card)
Delete the old pass from your Wallet. Then you can go back to the App and the "add to wallet" button will reappear and add the new one. I think the design logic is slightly flawed, but this will fix it.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 2:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I deleted my cards from Apple wallet but only my United Club has the option to add to wallet. 1K just shows the “back” with phone numbers and a barcode. No option to add to wallet

anyone else?
Old Feb 4, 2020, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I deleted my cards from Apple wallet but only my United Club has the option to add to wallet. 1K just shows the “back” with phone numbers and a barcode. No option to add to wallet

anyone else?
Did you scroll down far enough? The "Add to Apple Wallet" button is at the very bottom.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 4:40 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K 1MM; AA Plat Pro; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Platinum; Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by wcj1
Delete the old pass from your Wallet. Then you can go back to the App and the "add to wallet" button will reappear and add the new one. I think the design logic is slightly flawed, but this will fix it.
It worked! Thanks.

Did you scroll down far enough? The "Add to Apple Wallet" button is at the very bottom.
I had to refresh initially then the add to wallet option showed up

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Feb 4, 2020 at 5:05 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Feb 4, 2020, 5:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
I didn’t realize that card screen could be scrolled

Thanks! (that was how it looked)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.