Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
A change most of us applaud. Now you know what happens when there is a change we like at the beginning of the week...
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
Should also add keep shoes on for takeoff and landing. SQ does.

Glad outlet usage is more liberal.
It is? I thought in terms of policy all outlets are to be disconnected during takeoff/landing. It's only enforcement that is liberal, or lax.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hope that the first person who trips on a power cord during an evacuation isn't seriously hurt.

I'd be fine with this for any passengers who could be trusted to keep their charging devices in their seat, rather than in the seatback pocket. Based on my admittedly unscientific observation, I suspect that this is about 5% of all passengers.

(Honestly, if you can't go ten minutes without having your device plugged in, I don't know what to tell you).

This probably also spells the official end of UA flight attendants even trying to enforce Airplane Mode. On my last flight, I watched my seat mate browse the web until his signal died as we were halfway into our takeoff climb. (I didn't bother telling him that it would probably reacquire a signal once we moved into the next cell).
st3 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA GS 1MM / Hilton Diamond / Bonvoy Gold / Hertz PC
I wrote about this very thing on Friday and it was unfortunately moved to the old thread because nobody (myself included!) knew it was policy yet. A great policy at that!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
UA made a policy change before DL? that’s unpossible!

various foreign carriers also ask that shoes (except heels) are kept on for taxi, takeoff and landing. i would welcome that being added to the announcement as well.
ContinentalFan likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:20 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by narvik
Finally!
Glad they did this, and also wondering "why now"?

I recall a flight to EWR when every single shade (in the Polais cabin) was closed at a daytime landing.
Getting some relief from every UA flight (especially the F cabin) being a black pit.
Even if it’s just takeoff and landing.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:36 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
On my domestic flight last week it was the old drill. The FA even went further and stated over the PA to unplug everything from the outlets and they can tell if something is plugged in so don’t try to leave it in the plug. Passengers were looking over their shoulders.

On the return flight this week it was the new rule. Announcement made over the PA that you can leave things plugged in except in the exit row. The FAs came around before landing to open the window shades.

My international flight today, no announcements regarding either.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have heard people opine that window shades being open is a safety thing, but, if it is, why doesn't the FAA just mandate it?

Also, I thought that the outlet thing was an FAA regulation.. is it not? Or did they change the regulation?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 10:57 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by JAaronT
This is a change I'll like because I hate it when the window seat person never opens the window shade when it's closed at boarding.
==================
I almost get the feeling that when people are boarding and see the shades down in their row, they are somehow robotically afraid ?? to open them (I see this all the time) - like someone is going to reprimand them for doing so. I will never understand how people can sit in this enclosed tube with shades down (day or night), moving at hundreds of miles per hour and then upon descending not having any curiosity or sense about how close they are to landing - or if it's bad wind and weather,.... I kind of want to know if the landing is going to be hard and fast so I can prepare my nerve endings. Sitting there blindly is like waiting to hit a wall.
Speaking for myself, I don't live in a cave -- I open drapes, blinds and windows at home to get air and daylight.

Last edited by FlyingNone; Jan 21, 2020 at 11:04 pm
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
FA's won't like this new rule: it means more work for them!

IIRC all window shades are oftentimes closed during hot, sunny weather to reduce the plane's interior heating up, as the plane just sits there on the ground.
Now the FAs not only have to make the announcement to open the shades, but also have to go down the aisles and open (or shut) them themselves, if there's no one sitting in a row.

I already foresee them demanding a service or service item be cut, to avoid them from getting overworked.
st3 and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: The Marina. Comic Relief. UA 1K and 1MM. MacBook Pro.
Is there actually power going to the outlets during takeoff, taxi, and landing for this to matter with regards to charging? My experience is that things cut out before each.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Should also add keep shoes on for takeoff and landing. SQ does.

I’ve wondered why they don’t insist on having the central divider in the Polaris cabin down during take-off and landing. That one seems like a no-brainer to me.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by fumje
It is? I thought in terms of policy all outlets are to be disconnected during takeoff/landing. It's only enforcement that is liberal, or lax.
The thread title says it will be allowed to stay plugged in. Good news.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by SFO_Runner
Is there actually power going to the outlets during takeoff, taxi, and landing for this to matter with regards to charging? My experience is that things cut out before each.
It rarely happens. On most flights I’ve been on recently, the power is active during take-off and landing. On some aircraft, there’s a light on the aisle seat that lets the FAs know that something is plugged into the outlet—it’s routinely ignored.
drewguy likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:34 pm

Programs: UA GS
As for me, this is a great safety enhancement, but we need an addendum to the 10,000 foot announcement to "now close your window shades".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.