Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:30 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I was on an AA flt shortly after 9/11/01, about 30 minutes before landing we were instructed to keep all shades DOWN = CLOSED, the captain noted (on PA) this was being done for "obvious reasons"; two weeks later we were told to keep shades UP. The "logic" of shades DOWN was that the terrorist aboard the plane wouldn't know which landmark/gov;t building the plane was over when he detonated his BOMB.
Departing from LAS VEGAS (for most of the year) the shades are usually all closed when you board the plane and until the AC kicks in, most pax keep them closed for departures.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LarryJ
On the 737s, there is not.

The power outlets are disabled whenever the sterile cockpit (blue) light is on. It is located over the center aisle in front of the first row.

We turn it on just before pushback and leave it on until 10,000' on departure. It comes back on as we descend below 10,000' on arrival.

WiFi and Bluetooth can remain on. Only the cellular phone and data connection must be turned off.
@LarryJ: At what point am I allowed to recline my seat? I usually do it about 10 milliseconds after the wheels leave the ground. But of course the FAs are all strapped into their seats and can't see me do it, so I'm not sure if I'm breaking the rules by doing this. Should I wait until the 10k feet announcement?
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
@LarryJ: At what point am I allowed to recline my seat?
As soon as you're off the ground. Same with the tray table.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 10:28 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
As another poster said I also don't have to much to offer from the UA POV. I live in PNS (DL) and as I think beachmouse noted when arriving on a flight after landing they ask us to close the shades to help keep the aircraft cool for the next flight. I really haven't seen people not oblige. For takeoff and landings I thought it was the norm for all airlines to keep the shades up, but at the most hear it on ~5% on my flights no matter the carrier. As for charging devices, I can only speak from a DL perspective but I have never once heard a FA say that you cannot have your device plugged into either USB or regular power outlet during any portion from gate to gate. I can see there "could" be an issue but if you are not using a huge gauge power cord (outdoor orange extension cord) type of thing my escape from the aircraft will immediately destroy your tiny cable. I haven't flown UA in a while but didn't realize that was part of the pre departure announcement and I applaud them for this even though 99.9% of people will ignore.

As others have asked what is the "all of a sudden" reasoning for this? FAA mandate, new UA protocol, etc.. I figured one of the bloggers would have had a "source" by now about this.

Safe Flights Everyone!
Old Jan 23, 2020, 1:27 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, DL '90s PM, now FK (Flying Kettle)
At least the flight attendants won't have much trouble on 787s, where the passenger does not have ultimate control of his/her own window shade.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist | Jumpseat Platinum
So... the window shade announcement is a "request" and is loaded into the announcement booklet only. It is currently NOT part of a Compliance Check (FA post-demo walkthrough) and there is no basis for a demand within the FAOM.

But I wouldn't go arguing with a power-tripping FA over it, either.
artvandalay and DELee like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 7:52 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Live4Miles
.......and what kinds of cords are you people bringing on planes...I would agree that if you are plugging in 12 gauge drop cords that it might impede emergency exit, but plugging in a typical phone charger cord wouldn't even be an obstacle.
You would be much more likely to get impeded by a strap from a bag placed under the seat in front.
Especially when they don’t even stay plugged in when you want them to.
iluv2fly and narvik like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I think people underestimate the ability of a small cord to cause someone to stumble, especially in a panic situation. Hit a power cord waste high, you'll go right through it. Hit it around your shins or ankles, and while your momentum will pull the cable out, some people are going to stumble. Down low, it doesn't cause much for people to stumble.
jsloan, lhrsfo, ajGoes and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:08 am

Programs: UA MM
Just a moment ago pre-departure... FA announced small devices must be unplugged if you’re in an exit row.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
I heard the announcement on my flights yesterday. This is a change I like. They finally recognize that the power cord doesn't really have any effect on egress, especially when you compare it to headphone cords which were allowed. I'm ok with the restriction in the exit row, you will have alot of people going through there, the less clutter, the better
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
I for one am happy about this announcement. I really DO think it is safer to have window shades open to quickly help people identify the safest exit during an emergency. As for the electronics being plugged or unplugged, I really don't think it is a major issue either way. I for one would be like an olympic hurdler on my way to the exit. No little usb plug will stop me from making an exit.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Yet again today I got the announcement (and this time a long one) that all power cords must be unplugged for engines on and take off because of power surges. This was mandatory. There was then a request to raise the window shades for take off but expressed as optional.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 11:59 am

I must be the only one who hates the shade rule. First, open shades make these planes even hotter than they already are. So many flights now, particularly on 737s, are stuffy and hot, which often causes me mild nausea. This rule will make it worse. Second, there is little more annoying on a flight that getting blasted in the face by the sun because you are just sitting in the wrong spot and the person across the aisle doesn't close their shade. Almost as bad is when the sun reflects off someone's ipad or computer screen and into one's face.

Hate the change, and will generally attempt to not comply.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by ironcow13
I must be the only one who hates the shade rule. First, open shades make these planes even hotter than they already are. So many flights now, particularly on 737s, are stuffy and hot, which often causes me mild nausea. This rule will make it worse. Second, there is little more annoying on a flight that getting blasted in the face by the sun because you are just sitting in the wrong spot and the person across the aisle doesn't close their shade. Almost as bad is when the sun reflects off someone's ipad or computer screen and into one's face.

Hate the change, and will generally attempt to not comply.
Maybe it’s a good time to start your own airline.
greg99, Miggles, Catbert10 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
@LarryJ: At what point am I allowed to recline my seat? I usually do it about 10 milliseconds after the wheels leave the ground. But of course the FAs are all strapped into their seats and can't see me do it, so I'm not sure if I'm breaking the rules by doing this. Should I wait until the 10k feet announcement?
The second the wheels leave the ground you should be able to recline your seat because at that point there’s no more possibility of an evacuation. Realistically as soon as the aircraft hits V1 you should theoretically be able to recline as you won’t be stopping anymore.

Shades up is definitely a good change and something that should happen for taxi, takeoff, and landing on all airlines. It never hurts being situationally aware in the most critical phases of flight and when an evacuation could be possible.
Miggles and AeRoSpaceman like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.