Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:12 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by narvik
FA's won't like this new rule: it means more work for them!

IIRC all window shades are oftentimes closed during hot, sunny weather to reduce the plane's interior heating up, as the plane just sits there on the ground.
Now the FAs not only have to make the announcement to open the shades, but also have to go down the aisles and open (or shut) them themselves, if there's no one sitting in a row.

I already foresee them demanding a service or service item be cut, to avoid them from getting overworked.
I've been on several flights where the FA made an announcement after parking at the gate requesting that passengers close the window shades for this very reason.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:14 am

I was on UA 869, January 19, the purser announced to have the window shade up during landing in Hong Kong. What a refreshing idea for UAL, finally catching up with the foreign carriers. However, no such instructions when took off from San Francisco.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Hawaiian has been requiring open shades for takeoff and landing for as long as I can remember. Good safety move by UA. Noticed this on two of my recent UA flights.
DenverBrian and 747FC like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:40 am

I always keep my shade up because I just love takeoff and landing - both the scenery and the amazingness of flight. I also can’t imagine why, if the plane seemed to be in an emergency, someone wouldn’t think to throw up their shade.

That said, I would guess in the case of most “emergencies” the shade up really just let’s you know how close you are to being engulfed in flames...
Old Jan 22, 2020, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
The cynic in me says that this good announcement will be offset by a bad announcement.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:03 am

Originally Posted by jsloan
This probably also spells the official end of UA flight attendants even trying to enforce Airplane Mode. On my last flight, I watched my seat mate browse the web until his signal died as we were halfway into our takeoff climb. (I didn't bother telling him that it would probably reacquire a signal once we moved into the next cell).
I admittedly don't lfy Untied, but they're FAs actually enforce airplane mode? And people actually care/expect others to turn their phone to airplane mode? I have't turned my phone to airplane mode in years, frequently browse the web & stream ATC well into the departure and never have any issues. When I'm sitting next to employees they seem quite content doing so as well.

Originally Posted by LAXOGG
As for me, this is a great safety enhancement, but we need an addendum to the 10,000 foot announcement to "now close your window shades".
They already have the chime that sounds when crossing 10k feet, it's how I know I can now slam my seat back to recline into the person behind me without the FAs making the announcement. (And pull my computer out since the wifi will finally be enabled).
Old Jan 22, 2020, 4:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Lux Flyer
I admittedly don't lfy Untied, but they're FAs actually enforce airplane mode? And people actually care/expect others to turn their phone to airplane mode? I have't turned my phone to airplane mode in years, frequently browse the web & stream ATC well into the departure and never have any issues. When I'm sitting next to employees they seem quite content doing so as well.
Some do. Most have given up, thanks to being constantly ignored.

I’m glad that you haven’t interfered with cockpit communications... yet.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:26 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by econ
I've been on several flights where the FA made an announcement after parking at the gate requesting that passengers close the window shades for this very reason.
it’s very common during Florida summers when the plane AC doesn’t really keep up well without an insane amount of energy consumption
Old Jan 22, 2020, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uastarflyer
The thread title says it will be allowed to stay plugged in. Good news.
Sorry, I misinterpreted and thought you were referencing the current / soon-to-be-former policy.

I guess with the windows open, now we can all see the tripping hazards, so it's no problem to leave plugs in.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:53 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
I’ve wondered why they don’t insist on having the central divider in the Polaris cabin down during take-off and landing. That one seems like a no-brainer to me.
It does not affect evacuation - most people are going to exit through their aisle exit and not jump into their neighbor's seat.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by jsloan
(Honestly, if you can't go ten minutes without having your device plugged in, I don't know what to tell you).
I do. Get a new battery.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:07 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Happy about the shades up requirement, not so happy about allowing devices to be plugged in. It's hard enough getting over the cables getting out from the window seat during normal flight. During an evacuation people are going to get hung up, especially as people are fumbling through the seat pocket looking for their phone before they evacuate.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
After take off, the window shade position should revert to the preference of its owner - the window seat occupant. I nearly always take aisle seats and have at times asked the window occupant if they would lower the shade, but if they said, no, that's fine. People can have multiple reasons for wanting the shade up (medical, jet-lag adjustment, photography, etc.). If I really cared I would have booked a window seat.
ContinentalFan and strickerj like this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Catbert10
Happy about the shades up requirement, not so happy about allowing devices to be plugged in. It's hard enough getting over the cables getting out from the window seat during normal flight. During an evacuation people are going to get hung up, especially as people are fumbling through the seat pocket looking for their phone before they evacuate.
I agree. Cords snaking everywhere during an evacuation sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 8:39 am

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Window Shade Etiquette

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...shades-up.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.