Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective 1 Feb 20: shades must be open and outlet use ok for taxi, takeoff & landing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM

Title says it all, and both are long overdue IMO. Not sure if this is just new to UA or everyone.

New policy enforced today on two UA flights, although I’m told it isn’t effective until Feb 1. Only exception on outlet use is in emergency exit rows where there is concern about clutter by the exit.
kirkwoodj, drewguy, narvik and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: UA GS 2MM
Agree that this is long overdue, for safety reasons. Noticed this on my two flights last week.
CruiserCLE likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by dkc715
Title says it all, and both are long overdue IMO. Not sure if this is just new to UA or everyone.

New policy enforced today on two UA flights, although I’m told it isn’t effective until Feb 1. Only exception on outlet use is in emergency exit rows where there is concern about clutter by the exit.
They made the window shades announcement on a flight I was on on Saturday. I always do it anyway for takeoff and landing. I wonder what’s driving it.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA 1 MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by ContinentalFan
They made the window shades announcement on a flight I was on on Saturday. I always do it anyway for takeoff and landing. I wonder what’s driving it.
My guess is safety. Plus, it costs Kirby nothing.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by artvandalay
Real question is how did they finally get religion? Window shades up during takeoffs and landings have always been a safety issue, and all foreign airlines I fly on enforce this rule.

Better late than never.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Seems obvious to me that in the case of an issue during takeoff or landing it's a lot better for people to be able to see out the window to help assess the situation if an evacuation is needed (e.g. the left side of the airplane is over water, but the right over land). In that situation waiting for the window pax to put their shades up while they're scrambling to get out seems like it won't happen.

As for the use of outlets, I can barely get my charger to stay in anyway - pretty sure anyone hitting the cord will yank it out of the outlet.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:23 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
Originally Posted by cmhua777
Agree that this is long overdue, for safety reasons. Noticed this on my two flights last week.
Yup-long overdue

Originally Posted by artvandalay
Yes (and yes )
wxguy likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
All three flights yesterday had the same announcements and on at least one of those flights the FA was reading directly from their device. So the new announcements are already loaded into the system.

I can't imagine UA would make a change regarding window shades without it being directed by the FAA? Does this mean AA, DL, WN, etc. all are making the change as well?

-RM
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
This is a change I'll like because I hate it when the window seat person never opens the window shade when it's closed at boarding.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by drewguy
Seems obvious to me that in the case of an issue during takeoff or landing it's a lot better for people to be able to see out the window to help assess the situation if an evacuation is needed (e.g. the left side of the airplane is over water, but the right over land). In that situation waiting for the window pax to put their shades up while they're scrambling to get out seems like it won't happen.

As for the use of outlets, I can barely get my charger to stay in anyway - pretty sure anyone hitting the cord will yank it out of the outlet.
The question is why now? What’s driving it now?
chavala likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Finally!
Glad they did this, and also wondering "why now"?

I recall a flight to EWR when every single shade (in the Polais cabin) was closed at a daytime landing.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:08 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by RobOnLI

I can't imagine UA would make a change regarding window shades without it being directed by the FAA? Does this mean AA, DL, WN, etc. all are making the change as well?
It'll be interesting to see how this plays at my home airport-VPS- a military airfield from which the local county leases X number of civilian sir slots per day and some land at the end fo the bigger runway for he civilian air terminal. There have been a few times over the years when we've actually been told to go shades down for takeoff or landing because the Air Force had something sitting out on the apron that, while not a Top Secret aircraft or other item, was something the DoD didn't want pictures of all over the internet of just yet.
mherdeg likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
Should also add keep shoes on for takeoff and landing. SQ does.

Glad outlet usage is more liberal.
meducate, cmd320 and Kannai like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by drewguy
Seems obvious to me that in the case of an issue during takeoff or landing it's a lot better for people to be able to see out the window to help assess the situation
I thought the basis for this was more about the first responders being able to see into the aircraft in the event of a crash, although I can see it being helpful both ways.

All of the airlines I've flown in recent years have had this requirement to open the shades.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA GS 2.6MM & Lifetime UC, Qantas Platinum, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, HawaiianMiles
Finally!!! ^
Has always been the case on the other airlines I fly most, wondered what was wrong with UA.
wxguy likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.