Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 11, 2020, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Welcome to this thread to ask your basic, simple questions about United Airlines, its operations, or the MileagePlus program. We know that the airline is complex and we’ve created this thread for new and veteran members to ask those basic questions about United Airlines that you think must have an easy answer but just can’t find it or aren’t sure where to look.

UA Moderator Team
Ocn Vw 1K, l'etoile, J.Edward, goalie, Pat89339, WineCountryUA

These are the two rules for this thread:
  1. Use this thread for a simple, basic question. Moderators may move posts to a new / existing thread if appropriate.
  2. Any member who can post a constructive, patient answer is welcome to reply.

Generally, there are no long discussions of an issue in this thread. If it appears that is needed, the posts will be moved to an existing thread or used as the start of a new separate thread.

Additional tools for members seeking information about MileagePlus:

United MileagePlus Master Wiki

"New" United Airlines Forum Glossary

Here is a link to recent previous threads:
Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2019]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2018]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2017]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part II]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2016 Part I]

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 -Part II]...

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2015 Thread]...
Print Wikipost

Have a Simple Question About United Airlines/MileagePlus? Ask Here [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:05 pm

PQP for Economy Plus Subscription when already Platinum?

I am currently non-status due to having only 3 of 4 required flights on UA metal. After my remaining planned travel for the year, I will be Platinum and 550 PQP short of 1K. Even though the subscription would offer no benefit on top of Platinum, is there anything preventing me from buying the $599 Economy Plus subscription to meet the PQP requirement for 1K?

I don't see any road bumps in the fine print, but I'd like flyertalk's guidance to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by gateguard0
I am currently non-status due to having only 3 of 4 required flights on UA metal. After my remaining planned travel for the year, I will be Platinum and 550 PQP short of 1K. Even though the subscription would offer no benefit on top of Platinum, is there anything preventing me from buying the $599 Economy Plus subscription to meet the PQP requirement for 1K?

I don't see any road bumps in the fine print, but I'd like flyertalk's guidance to make sure I'm not missing anything. Thanks!
This is an interesting approach I haven’t thought of. I will also be about ~600 pqp short of 1k and was probably going to use the award accelerator. The one benefit your idea has over the accelerator is not having to purchase the award miles. So buying 600 PQP + X amount of award miles would cost $800 rather than $600. I’m sure a quick call to United would sort things out for you. Let me know!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:37 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
I am currently non-status due to having only 3 of 4 required flights on UA metal. After my remaining planned travel for the year, I will be Platinum and 550 PQP short of 1K. Even though the subscription would offer no benefit on top of Platinum, is there anything preventing me from buying the $599 Economy Plus subscription to meet the PQP requirement for 1K? ...
Unfortunately, as a Gold or higher elite, UA will not sell you that subscription online. If you could get an agent to process the subscription it should work, but that is a big if.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:45 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Unfortunately, as a Gold or higher elite, UA will not sell you that subscription online. If you could get an agent to process the subscription it should work, but that is a big if.
Thanks. Some unwritten rule like that was the essence of what I was concerned about.

Since I am still non-status today, if I buy the subscription now and become Platinum next week, do you think that would work? That is, should I be concerned about it somehow being automatically refunded and/or the PQPs being rolled back? Thanks again!

Last edited by gateguard0; Dec 2, 2020 at 10:52 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
... Since I am still non-status today, if I buy the subscription now and become Platinum next week, do you think that would work? ...
Yes, others have done this successfully
Old Dec 4, 2020, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
If I have UA Silver status and I get a card like the United Club Business card or the United Club Visa Infinite card, what other benefit will I get that I don't already have?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
If I have UA Silver status and I get a card like the United Club Business card or the United Club Visa Infinite card, what other benefit will I get that I don't already have?
What do you get for Silver.
E+ at Check-in, Boarding Group 2, 1 Bagx70 lbs when checking with UA, 7x multiplier for travel RDMs, XN award access, ....

For those cards, the big two benefits are
UC and A* Business lounge access on any *A itinerary
2 bagsx50 when checking with UA
plus
Award CPU if an MP elite
BG2 and XN access like Silver
but
no E+ access without UA status
no multiplier benefit for flight RDMs

However, card only benefits
Bonus mileage earning on card spend
$100 travel credit or GE/Precheck fee credit
a variety of card benefits -- 25% discount on inflight purchases, auto rental insurance, some travel insurance,
best to read https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unit...-offering.html for card benefits
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Platinum, UA 1k, HH Silver, BonVoy Platinum
I should know this but I am not sure because it's 2020. I have only 2 of 4 required segments for this year, have they extended this at all past December 31, 2020 so I am not needing to take a trip this month?

Okay, if I have to take a r/t to get the 2 segments, will it count if I use miles to pay for it?

Thanks! Powers
Old Dec 4, 2020, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Powers106
I should know this but I am not sure because it's 2020. I have only 2 of 4 required segments for this year, have they extended this at all past December 31, 2020 so I am not needing to take a trip this month?

Okay, if I have to take a r/t to get the 2 segments, will it count if I use miles to pay for it?

Thanks! Powers
All 2020 status has been extended through the end of 2021. However, you would not get a new allotment of PlusPoints unless you meet the lowered thresholds for Platinum and/or 1K, including the four UA-operated flights. (Award flights wouldn't count). PlusPoints that you earned last year have been extended, though, so you'd be able to use those.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 5:56 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Is it possible to see the per segment PQP earnings prior to purchasing an itinerary? I know its on the emailed receipt, but was hoping to get this breakdown before purchasing. I'm looking at BKK -> NRT on ANA, and then NRT -> SFO on United, in January, and I want to ensure that there are at least 1500 PQPs on the United segment to maximize bonus earned.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by nexus7556
Is it possible to see the per segment PQP earnings prior to purchasing an itinerary? I know its on the emailed receipt, but was hoping to get this breakdown before purchasing. I'm looking at BKK -> NRT on ANA, and then NRT -> SFO on United, in January, and I want to ensure that there are at least 1500 PQPs on the United segment to maximize bonus earned.
This gets tricky as the split between segments has been known to change on posting -- total the same , so if close to the 1,500 be wary.
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nexus7556
Not that I'm aware of. For a through fare -- which this would likely be -- the values tend to be distributed by approximately the ratio of the flight distances. I'd expect around 64% of the fare to be allocated to NRT-SFO.

Of course, all United tickets are fully refundable within 24 hours of purchase. So, you could try it, and if you didn't like the result, you could cancel.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
This gets tricky as the split between segments has been known to change on posting -- total the same , so if close to the 1,500 be wary.
Also true, especially if there are any IRROPS.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I think UA had a PQD waiver for $25k worth of spending on Chase UA cards. Since the revision of MileagePlus, is it still possible to get a PQD waiver equivalent?
Old Dec 5, 2020, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
I think UA had a PQD waiver for $25k worth of spending on Chase UA cards. Since the revision of MileagePlus, is it still possible to get a PQD waiver equivalent?
No, it is gone
New Premier Qualification Requirements for 2020: Only Spend or Spend + Flight Sectors
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
That was part of the big change from the former Premier Qualifying Dollars (PQD) to the current Premier Qualifying Points (PQP).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.