Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will got give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per ticket. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2020, 6:31 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
I’ve had a GS agent waiting for me at the gate - to say thank you for my business - on all my recent flights from EWR.

Prior to COVID, I rarely ever saw any GS agents airside at EWR.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 7:20 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I’ve had a GS agent waiting for me at the gate - to say thank you for my business - on all my recent flights from EWR.

likewise I’ve had a GS agent greet me at departures at IAH and EWR. The lunacy of current times... tax payer funds paying for an unnecessary employee to stand at the gate to say hello, but no meals in F.

it’s all very well spending money on cute campaigns about new routes to places that nobody has a clue on whether they’ll even make sense / be able to fly in 6-9 months from
now, but United need to prioritize rethinking/reimagining their customer service experience quickly
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by UAflyer93

At EWR and LAX, I almost always had GS agents at the gate. At SFO, other than ramp transfers for tight connections, GS agents have always been totally invisible to me. At IAD it was hit or miss.

Originally Posted by Kleinnaf
PR nightmare to incentivize people to travel no?

What is the PR nightmare? Travel is either is safe or it isn't. If it is, they shouldn't be flying. If it isn't, they should be drumming up business. Bonus point offers are flying at other travel companies, like Hilton, so what's UA doing to incent travel ...especially with its typically higher yielding customers?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Sep 13, 2020 at 2:49 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 23, 2020, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
A brief note of praise (I will leave out flight specifics publicly though for fear of singling out an extraordinary employee for going too far in pursuit of great service...)

I flew back from Europe to Newark in the past week, a truly surreal experience on a flight that had only two people booked in business and probably not more than 15 in economy. I booked in Y since I was travelling with a pet in cabin. After a 5 min boarding process, purser came to me, thanked for continuing to fly United as GS, and handed over amenity kit, slippers, etc and offered a choice of business class meal since they had been overcatered (unsurprisingly given the 2 people that ended up in C on that flight). Throughout the flight, she very frequently dropped by offering drinks, snacks or extra pre-landing meal. We chatted a bit about the big challenges coming up, and these difficult time.

It was heartwarming to see such genuine kindness, service and unending pursuit of going the extra mile from this person. A true gem in United's employees is I think what I ended up writing in to GS as a note; her main base of operation is one of those being closed and one of the other FAs on the flight referred to her as "a pearl" in the TPAC network. He also mentioned that he was a two-plus decade UA veteran employee, and offered such a gut wrenching yet optimistic assessment, "we got through 9/11, we got through SARS, we'll have the strength to come through this one and come out better".

I hope that he will be proven right, for the sake of these incredible people that dedicate themselves with such pride to their work.
SPN Lifer, wxguy and manstein58 like this.
Old Sep 23, 2020, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Oh, the Globals are coming back" was a nice remark by a GA I encountered as I boarded a flight the other day.
SPN Lifer, wxguy, EWR764 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: UA Global Services 3.2 MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by rieuwa
A brief note of praise (I will leave out flight specifics publicly though for fear of singling out an extraordinary employee for going too far in pursuit of great service...)

I flew back from Europe to Newark in the past week, a truly surreal experience on a flight that had only two people booked in business and probably not more than 15 in economy. I booked in Y since I was travelling with a pet in cabin. After a 5 min boarding process, purser came to me, thanked for continuing to fly United as GS, and handed over amenity kit, slippers, etc and offered a choice of business class meal since they had been overcatered (unsurprisingly given the 2 people that ended up in C on that flight). Throughout the flight, she very frequently dropped by offering drinks, snacks or extra pre-landing meal. We chatted a bit about the big challenges coming up, and these difficult time.

It was heartwarming to see such genuine kindness, service and unending pursuit of going the extra mile from this person. A true gem in United's employees is I think what I ended up writing in to GS as a note; her main base of operation is one of those being closed and one of the other FAs on the flight referred to her as "a pearl" in the TPAC network. He also mentioned that he was a two-plus decade UA veteran employee, and offered such a gut wrenching yet optimistic assessment, "we got through 9/11, we got through SARS, we'll have the strength to come through this one and come out better".

I hope that he will be proven right, for the sake of these incredible people that dedicate themselves with such pride to their work.
This is all very nice, but couldn't the FA have also quietly let you into the almost-empty J cabin, or is gifting you a J seat somehow extra verboten compared to gifting you a J amenity kit, meals, etc.?
iluv2fly and Dyce like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: UA 1K | Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by st530
This is all very nice, but couldn't the FA have also quietly let you into the almost-empty J cabin, or is gifting you a J seat somehow extra verboten compared to gifting you a J amenity kit, meals, etc.?
Poster stated they were flying with their pet and animals aren't technically permitted in the premium cabins on 757, 767, 777, 787 aircraft. I believe it's an underseat storage restriction rather than a decision to maintain pet-free premium cabins so making an exception would be a safety/policy violation vs. just an exception for an elite traveler.
SPN Lifer, drklain and rieuwa like this.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by st530
I've had the same experience ex LHR
Pre covid
Flight was close to empty
3 of us flying (2 GS 1 1K)
although service was incredible they wouldn't let us sit in the nearly empty J cabin (rightfully so)

Y was empty with less than 30pax so we didn't
mind at all.

​​​​​
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
I've had the same experience ex LHR
Pre covid
Flight was close to empty
3 of us flying (2 GS 1 1K)
although service was incredible they wouldn't let us sit in the nearly empty J cabin (rightfully so)

Y was empty with less than 30pax so we didn't
mind at all.

​​​​​
no plus points to upgrade yourself? I had requested upgrades denied more than once and then upgraded at the gate as a 1K...

no idea why they wouldn’t comp a GS into F if there’s only 2-3 seats taken...
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Dyce
no plus points to upgrade yourself? I had requested upgrades denied more than once and then upgraded at the gate as a 1K...

no idea why they wouldn’t comp a GS into F if there’s only 2-3 seats taken...
This was back in the GPU days.
I found it to be a waste on such a short flight (<6hr) and knowing we'd all have empty rows was enough for us.

I do agree with the FAs/UA not giving the seats to elite members since that would stop us from buying J seats anytime we see a fairly empty flight.

​​​​​​
​​
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:41 am
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
This was back in the GPU days.
I found it to be a waste on such a short flight (<6hr) and knowing we'd all have empty rows was enough for us.

I do agree with the FAs/UA not giving the seats to elite members since that would stop us from buying J seats anytime we see a fairly empty flight.

​​​​​l
​​
disagree. United actually had a surprise and delight program but they never rolled it out after tria
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by united 1k flyer
disagree. United actually had a surprise and delight program but they never rolled it out after tria
Wasn't that just for economy plus?
Old Sep 24, 2020, 5:45 pm
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I had the rarest of experiences which was humor and kindness from the EWR GS check-in lounge staff. I was coming back from a quick turnaround for a golf tournament and the two ladies joked that I was the most work they had all day. I offered to take the clubs wherever they needed them to be instead and one of them said "we're just happy you're flying again".

Obviously the GS experience isn't the same in the midst of the company trying to stay afloat but in my limited travel over the last few weeks I've had several nice small GS moments where you can tell the front line employees feel like they're in this experience with us. When suddenly 90% of travel is optional leisure travel they realize how lucky they were to deal with business travelers all day.
Old Sep 24, 2020, 6:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
Wasn't that just for economy plus?
No it was offered for everything up to a free global first upgrade
Old Sep 24, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1MM GS, Delta Skymiles Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by n8-the-gr8
Poster stated they were flying with their pet and animals aren't technically permitted in the premium cabins on 757, 767, 777, 787 aircraft. I believe it's an underseat storage restriction rather than a decision to maintain pet-free premium cabins so making an exception would be a safety/policy violation vs. just an exception for an elite traveler.
Yep that's right! 787-10, pets not allowed, even in Premium Plus. And I would not even think of putting the crew in position of asking this, especially with hundreds of plus points in the bank. I am perhaps far too rule-focused......
n8-the-gr8 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.