Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2019, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wxguy
United Global Services ("GS") is the highest tier of MileagePlus elite status. It is by invitation only, reviewed annually -- the invite criteria is not public but seems to require substantial annual spending with UA both in terms of absolute dollar amounts and purchasing higher fare classes (higher cpm - cents per mile). There are also reports of GS status being comped by UA Marketing to VIPs in companies who sign corporate travel deals with UA, and also to those individuals that purchase an annual PassPlus enrollment of $50k or greater. The sole published way to qualify is to become a 4MM, having flown 4 million BIS miles on UA metal (plus additional grandfathered credits at the time of the UA/CO merger).

GS have enhanced services / benefits over 1Ks. There is little said publicly by UA on GS benefits and/or qualification.
Quote:
Global Services recognizes the extraordinary dedication of our top flyers. We consider a number of factors beyond the usual Premier-qualifying criteria.
We look at your travel spend on United-operated flights relative to that of other top Premier flyers over recent consecutive years.
Usually, members invited to Global Services tend to consistently purchase premium cabins or fully refundable tickets.

Published Benefits
Full detail of published benefits can be found at https://mystatus.united.com/gs [MP credentials login required, existing GS only]
Shortlist (incremental/different to 1K):
  • Dedicated phone number, ​usually answered on the first ring, and generally by specially-trained GS agents. Some exceptions occur, especially during busy periods (such as when weather waivers are in effect)
  • Dedicated email address for MileagePlus and other inquiries, usually answered personally within hours
  • Dedicated check-in at main airport stations, including private Global Reception centers at major hubs, providing priority TSA security access. May bring guests/companions into Global Reception areas or dedicated GS checkin lanes who are traveling on same itinerary as GS member.
  • Instrument-supported upgrades (PlusPoints or miles) clear into PN class rather than PZ class for other elite tiers, which usually have much better availability. Instruments drawn from the GS member account and applied to other reservations will also clear into PN class.
  • Complimentary Premier Upgrades (CPUs) cleared beginning 120 hours prior to flight departure (versus 96 hours for 1K) for GS member and up to one other traveling on same PNR
  • Highest-priority when waitlisted for Upgrades, Award Travel, and Sold-out Flight Availability. GS members clear before any other status level or full-fare customers.
  • Priority Boarding, among the first to board the aircraft (currently after unaccompanied minors, people with disabilities and/or need more time boarding, Active-Duty Military, and now prior to families with children under age of 2)
  • Priority handling in event of IRROPS, including next flight guarantee in case of re-accommodation, overseen by dedicated team of location-based GS Customer Service Agents (identified via gold scarves/ties)
  • Mercedes-Benz Tarmac Transfer for tight connections between flights at major hubs (cannot be requested in advance)
  • Access to United Arrivals Lounge at SFO when arriving from international flight, regardless of cabin class (no guests permitted) Closed
  • Access to Arrivals Lounge at LHR T2 when arriving from inbound UA-operated intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present Boarding Pass or physical GS card)
  • Access to Lufthansa / Swiss Welcome (arrival) Lounges in FRA and ZRH for same-day inbound UA intercontinental flight, regardless of cabin (no guests permitted, must present physical GS card)
  • Effective January 2021, GS members who do not have a United Club membership may access United Clubs on domestic itineraries, but no guests are permitted.
Additional Known Award and Upgrade Benefits (many unpublished)

All benefits noted below require calling a GS agent:
  • GS can create saver economy award space (XN) if T inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can create saver business award space (IN) if PZ inventory is available. United-operated flights only. Update 12 Dec 2018: Only for GS member + 1 companion.
  • GS can upgrade economy awards (XN or YN) into Business / First with PlusPoints if PN inventory is available, provided both instrument and miles drawn from GS member account. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can confirm any waitlisted instrument-supported upgrade (miles/co-pay or PlusPoints) within T-72 hours to flight departure provided at least 2 (two) J class premium seats remain for sale after the upgrade is processed and they are at the top of the waitlist.
  • GS are entitled to one Saver Award seat in the same class of service with their purchase of any premium cabin fare. GS agents can open space if it is not available provided that at least 2 seats remain for sale afterwards. United-operated flights only.
  • GS can upgrade a companion with an instrument (PlusPoints or miles) from Economy to Business / First when flying on a paid premium cabin fare, even if PZ or PN is not available, as long as J > 2 after upgrade processed. Companion needs to be ticketed in W class or higher on international cash fare itineraries, or ticketed in X/XN for upgrades from award tickets.
  • (Note: Only ONE of the two above options can be exercised per premium fare purchased. GS traveler must remain in same itinerary as companion)
  • GS can buy up from Basic Economy fares, which is usually forbidden
  • GS can access VIP Lounges (former Global First Lounges) in NRT, LHR, and HKG when booked in Polaris Business on an international itinerary. One guest permitted (two guests if a United Club member). Not accessed if booked in United Economy.
Reported caveats & YMMV situations on unpublished benefits
  • Post 12/12/2018, agents have been instructed to grant only one "exception" when opening award space for a companion. Thus, you can open T->XN for a companion, or you can force a companion upgrade into PN, but you can't convert T->XN and then force clear an upgrade into PN. Some have reported success by requesting this in two separate calls.
  • Some agents will allow GS to open economy award space for a companion to allow for an upgrade with an instrument, even if XN or T are unavailable
  • According to GS Customer Service, a GS on a paid coach fare using an instrument will clear into Polaris business before a lower-status passenger with a paid PremiumPlus fare (i.e. O, A, R). In other words, for example, a paid O, A, R for a 1K will got give higher priority than a GS with a W fare if both are using 40 PlusPoints. This is true even on the gate waitlist.
  • Post 12/12/2019, agents have been instructed that they can only grant a companion exception for one segment per ticket. Thus, if you have a roundtrip premium fare, they will only open saver space, or force an upgrade, for one segment. This means you must either waitlist (if upgrading) or use a standard award, for the remaining segments.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated Global Services Thread: Benefits, Questions, Experiences [2020]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I posted my views on this in another thread a while back, I followed this strategy about 3 years ago for international travel , fundamentally because of the inconsistent and ever degrading Polaris offering. I agree with you completely, on the tier 1 airlines when in international business I am treated as well and most times better than I am flying on UA and generally spend less money , I am non hub non corporate program captive which also helps.
This. 9 times out of 10, I have a much better experience flying other international airlines. Also, if you fly enough to be GS, odds are you can easily rack up a lot of points, which means I usually upgrade to F when flying other carriers (e.g., CX, SQ, etc.)

The only thing that has had me staying on UA has been domestic upgrades, particularly on transcons, and being able to use PlusPoints to upgrade to LH F. (LH C is one of the only business classes I actively avoid. I think it's worse than UA's.) But I imagine that if I were only flying internationally, I would have switched away from UA to just flying the best option each time.
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, UA MM, Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Uber Platinum :)
Originally Posted by wanderingkev
I am non hub non corporate program captive which also helps.
the more I think about it being in IAH is no longer going to be hub captive (for me) in the traditional sense, as direct international service will be severely reduced. So if I have to fly via SFO or EWR then why not via ATL, or (shudder) DFW??

I flew IAH-SFO-TPE last December on UA instead of direct on EVA. A big mistake that I won’t be making if/when I make this trip later this year
Old Apr 17, 2020, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by Dyce
the more I think about it being in IAH is no longer going to be hub captive (for me) in the traditional sense, as direct international service will be severely reduced. So if I have to fly via SFO or EWR then why not via ATL, or (shudder) DFW??

I flew IAH-SFO-TPE last December on UA instead of direct on EVA. A big mistake that I won’t be making if/when I make this trip later this year
Such a personal choice and need. I moved to the US 20 years ago and while I was in other programs in Europe ,Asia and Oz in my 30 years of 250-350k BIS per year flying I have found
the only place status is truly important is US domestic . Driven by a cocktail of sub par airlines , continental weather patterns and an antiquated air traffic control system relative to traffic volumes you need decent status to get you through the work week.But I suspect 1k or its equivalent on others will pretty much get you that. I chose to spend my typically - $7500 -$10,000 dollar INTL tickets with carriers that have better on board products for my dollar , more than a single choice of salad dressing, a decent wine list and don't think a $2 dollar box of cookies on plate is a significant upgrade to the dessert menu.I have never had any issue with people with exception of the odd lunatic , my choice was purely product centric.
Dyce likes this.

Last edited by wanderingkev; Apr 17, 2020 at 3:48 pm
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:50 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Since the pandemic, are any GS RPUs clearing on award tickets later in the year? Not sure if they've frozen award inventory or if there's a technical issue.
I have cleared with PlusPoints on award tickets booked for later this year within the past three weeks. I probably won’t fly on those flights, but they have cleared. I think I have 7 or 8 upgraded flights in the June-November period, and no uncleared flights waitlisted.
Old May 10, 2020, 4:15 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Is GS still doing tarmac transfers or have they grounded their Benz fleet?
Old May 10, 2020, 5:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: ,united 1k, AA EXP, HH Diamond,BA gold, Hyatt globalist
If they aren't grounded I would seriously have to question what the heck Kirby is doing... O wait I do that all the time.
cbono likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 3:27 am
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What route was the Benz Fleet flying before?
Dyce likes this.
Old May 16, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: Global Services UA 1MM , Ambassador Elite Marriott
The ground transportation is always for tight connections...... versus Lufthansa.... Lufthansa, regardless..... provides you with Porsche transportation to airplane if you have a first class seat...... united does not offer it all the time.... I have yet, as a GS to experience that..... even on minutes of connection, they never got me one but I know my experience is not the same as others....
Old May 16, 2020, 4:04 pm

Programs: Amex Centurion, United Global Services
I've had them pick me in Chicago a few times, huge timesaver if your connection is tight.

While flying to Berlin I had a layover in Munich or Frankford earlier this year I walked off the plane and was already in the lounge when some co-workers said that after we had left the plane someone came running up to the jetway late asking for me. I didn't get the same love through there a month later but it would be fun. Saw all the Porsche SUVs parked out there.
Old May 17, 2020, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K - 3 MM, CLEAR
I have had Mercedes transports numerous times in DEN, IAH, and occasionally in ORD. Already had 3 in DEN and 1 in IAH earlier this year. The DEN rides these days are generally for connections between B and A terminals.
Old May 17, 2020, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GS friend got a limo (Benz?) transfer at DEN first half of March, travelling domestic.
Old May 17, 2020, 1:14 pm

Programs: UAL GS & Million Miler; Delta Lifetime Gold; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Platinum; Legion Etrangere
Originally Posted by cesco.g
GS friend got a limo (Benz?) transfer at DEN first half of March, travelling domestic.
If I had to bet, the Benz ride is as gone as the dodo
Old May 17, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: United 1MM, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum)
Interesting. I’m not so sure.
  1. Thry already have the cars and people who can drive them (sunk cost)
  2. the cost of accommodating a person who misses the flight (possible overnight hotel plus bumping someone else) more than covers the incidentals.
if it was me, I’d retain them and use them when a HVF frequent flyer was going to miss a connection without the plane to plane transfer. I have NO status with LH but have had that happen to me in FRA and MUC when my inbound flight was delayed and I would otherwise not have made my connection. Particularly useful at the remote stands serviced by buses.

were all speculating here (which is fun) but the minimal cost of having a few cars and have a ramp guy drive someone outweighs the lost revenue and accommodation costs on the missed connections. Now I would kill the “courtesy” ones.

note: I’ve never had one of these st Dulles. Not sure they do them there. I could see it being useful to get from the C/D gates to the UEX A gates. I’m based out of DC so I’ve never had a tight connection here like that, but I’ve seen countless people sweating one...
Old May 17, 2020, 4:16 pm

Programs: United 4MM GS, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by drklain
Interesting. I’m not so sure.
  1. Thry already have the cars and people who can drive them (sunk cost)
  2. the cost of accommodating a person who misses the flight (possible overnight hotel plus bumping someone else) more than covers the incidentals.
if it was me, I’d retain them and use them when a HVF frequent flyer was going to miss a connection without the plane to plane transfer. I have NO status with LH but have had that happen to me in FRA and MUC when my inbound flight was delayed and I would otherwise not have made my connection. Particularly useful at the remote stands serviced by buses.

were all speculating here (which is fun) but the minimal cost of having a few cars and have a ramp guy drive someone outweighs the lost revenue and accommodation costs on the missed connections. Now I would kill the “courtesy” ones.

note: I’ve never had one of these st Dulles. Not sure they do them there. I could see it being useful to get from the C/D gates to the UEX A gates. I’m based out of DC so I’ve never had a tight connection here like that, but I’ve seen countless people sweating one...
I have had the Benz transfer in Dulles connecting from Express to Mainline with tight connections a few times
Old May 17, 2020, 6:09 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I take the daytime flight to SIN from SFO and need to take the first flight out from ORD to make the connection. They are nice enough to transfer me with the car from my arriving gate to the Polaris Lounge around 75% of the time. Love exiting the plane and seeing my name on a sign in the jet way!

I have also had the car from the Polaris Lounge in C at ORD to the B17 gate before. That was because they know me very well and actually like me. Yeah, who would have thought.

And there is no way in hell they are going to get rid of GS.
cesco.g and wxguy like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.