Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
Seems a bit thin compared to the downgrade comp schedule.
well ... not a downgrade ... a failed upgrade rather.

Clearly UA needs to fix what they broke with +Ps!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Alright what do I do here? Dad and I are on GS sponsored upgrades waitlisted for our ewr-bom flight. Plat agent confirmed to my dad that he was #2 and I was #3 on the waitlist. However this morning I noticed my dad wasn't on the waitlist so I called UA and they apologized saying a system error caused him to be cut and they had to manually insert him back into the list as a global service sponsored upgrade. But now he's #10 while I've moved up to #2 . How do I fix this? He should be above me as he's a plat on a GS upgrade and Im a gold on a GS upgrade. I don't want to get upgraded if he's so far down. This route max 3-4 people clear, if that, and UA's system error caused him to drop so not sure what I can do now?
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
well ... not a downgrade ... a failed upgrade rather.
Conceptually the same. Should have flown J, but actually flew Y due to a UA action/omission. UA has determined the appropriate cs gesture for that scenario, as per the GG OVS DOWNGRADE schedule.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Conceptually the same. Should have flown J, but actually flew Y due to a UA action/omission. UA has determined the appropriate cs gesture for that scenario, as per the GG OVS DOWNGRADE schedule.
GG OVS is when one gets bumped due to an oversell of the cabin (in the cabin then moved to Y). Failure to upgrade (if that is what happen) is a different IMO and had not heard UA offering the GG OVS levels of compensation for those circustance. But if it is a failure to upgrade, I would expect something -- but not likely GG OVS levels.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP, HH Gold, Accor Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Had a problem on Tuesday LAX-EWR. I was #1 on the list of 6, one person appeared to clear at the gate, and they weren't on the list in the app at all. 7A on the 752 was an interesting ride. Great legroom, but my feet were pretty much frostbitten at the end of the journey.

For my return, I'm at #3 on the list in the app, which is great because I haven't even checked in yet. Go figure.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flyingrohit
Alright what do I do here? Dad and I are on GS sponsored upgrades waitlisted for our ewr-bom flight. Plat agent confirmed to my dad that he was #2 and I was #3 on the waitlist. However this morning I noticed my dad wasn't on the waitlist so I called UA and they apologized saying a system error caused him to be cut and they had to manually insert him back into the list as a global service sponsored upgrade. But now he's #10 while I've moved up to #2 . How do I fix this? He should be above me as he's a plat on a GS upgrade and Im a gold on a GS upgrade. I don't want to get upgraded if he's so far down. This route max 3-4 people clear, if that, and UA's system error caused him to drop so not sure what I can do now?
Numerous recently reported issues with the waitlist process. In this case, it sounds like the request wasadded as PZ (non-GS) waitlisting, you will probably need the sponsor to call GS Desk and get it corrected.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
GG OVS is when one gets bumped due to an oversell of the cabin (in the cabin then moved to Y). Failure to upgrade (if that is what happen) is a different IMO and had not heard UA offering the GG OVS levels of compensation for those circustance. But if it is a failure to upgrade, I would expect something -- but not likely GG OVS levels.
If it happened to me, I would argue it's the defined comp for sitting in Y when - through no fault of my own - I should have sat in J. I would hope that would at least get me over the rather paltry $200 OP was offered.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cricketer
Had a problem on Tuesday LAX-EWR. I was #1 on the list of 6, one person appeared to clear at the gate, and they weren't on the list in the app at all. 7A on the 752 was an interesting ride. Great legroom, but my feet were pretty much frostbitten at the end of the journey.

For my return, I'm at #3 on the list in the app, which is great because I haven't even checked in yet. Go figure.
The upgrade lists have definitely been broken since the PlusPoints change. I would continue to write UA every time, because they either need to fix this (preferred) or hide the lists (not preferred at all, but better than an inaccurate list being displayed).

They're also now showing everyone who's eligible for upgrade, checked-in or not, which would be a nice feature if the lists were accurate.
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Marriott Gold Elite, IHG Platinum, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Numerous recently reported issues with the waitlist process. In this case, it sounds like the request wasadded as PZ (non-GS) waitlisting, you will probably need the sponsor to call GS Desk and get it corrected.
Oh man UA, oh man.. guess that will have to do for sure.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:12 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by B747SP
Did that, and was issued a $200 ETC, and was told that United would not provide an explanation for this specific incident but would forward the message to the appropriate team.
Ouch. No credible explanation other than GA fail. Which station?

Seems a bit thin compared to the downgrade comp schedule.
My compensation for IAD-SFO upgrade mishap (someone occupied the supposedly empty seat) was $175 voucher as 1K.
Here is the feedback from UA 1K Voice: "I'll share your feedback with our internal teams to help improve our procedures and customer experience. In future, please verify any questions or concerns with the gate agent prior to boarding."
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kmxu
My compensation for IAD-SFO upgrade mishap (someone occupied the supposedly empty seat) was $175 voucher as 1K.
Here is the feedback from UA 1K Voice: "#1[/URL] d2228] #1[/URL] d2228]I'll share your feedback with our internal teams to help improve our procedures and customer experience. In future, please verify any questions or concerns with the gate agent prior to boarding."
My compensation for EWR-DUB where #1 on upgrade and flight went out 20/21 in Premium Plus (but with all seats occupied) was "I understand how important upgrades are as a part of your benefits, and apologize you didn't receive one on your recent flight." was apparently only the apology, no ETC.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
Here is the feedback from UA 1K Voice: "I'll share your feedback with our internal teams to help improve our procedures and customer experience. In future, please verify any questions or concerns with the gate agent prior to boarding."
That sounds like the former DL "you board you lose" policy.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
More bizarre upgrade list activity

This flight is sold out in F, departs in 2 hours, but indicates only 2 of 12 checked in (2 hours ago, it was 3 checked in). I doubt it. When I applied 20 points, I moved from 19 to 21 on the upgrade list.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by droopydog
This flight is sold out in F, departs in 2 hours, but indicates only 2 of 12 checked in (2 hours ago, it was 3 checked in). I doubt it. When I applied 20 points, I moved from 19 to 21 on the upgrade list.
It's not sold out in F. It's "Full" in F. Big difference. . There are at least four blocked seats, and possibly more. Every A319 with three rows of F seats is having four seats blocked to the gate, to avoid issues if they have to swap in a replacement A319 with two rows of F.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM ★G, DL Silver, Amtrak ES, Hilton Diamond,Nexus
Originally Posted by jsloan
It's not sold out in F. It's "Full" in F. Big difference. . There are at least four blocked seats, and possibly more. Every A319 with three rows of F seats is having four seats blocked to the gate, to avoid issues if they have to swap in a replacement A319 with two rows of F.
Sorry, poor choice of words. I meant that I do not believe only 2 are checked in. And am not sure why applying points caused me to move down on the list (not sure the list is accurate).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.