Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 14, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Upgrade waitlist / display / clearing issues since PlusPoints changeover

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by droopydog
Sorry, poor choice of words. I meant that I do not believe only 2 are checked in. And am not sure why applying points caused me to move down on the list (not sure the list is accurate).
I agree that the list is inaccurate, but I do believe that only two are checked in. I suspect that there are no more than 8 passengers booked, and likely fewer. A surprising number of passengers don't bother checking in until they get to the airport.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by droopydog
And am not sure why applying points caused me to move down on the list (not sure the list is accurate).
I think we can safely say the list is not accurate
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AC 25K, Marriott LT Platinum
Just as another example, today I'm on a domestic flight for which I'm CPU-eligible. My printed boarding pass says I'm added to the upgrade list. My name doesn't show up in the app as being on the upgrade list at all. An agent in the club looked into it. In Aero, just like in the app, I'm not on the list at all. However, in SHARES, I'm on the list at #8 .

What I don't understand about this situation is why UA doesn't seem to do very much QA before releasing new/updated software. Normally QA is a very important part of software development.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Howard
What I don't understand about this situation is why UA doesn't seem to do very much QA before releasing new/updated software. Normally QA is a very important part of software development.
I would assume development fell behind schedule, but senior management insisted on keeping the Dec. 4 rollout date, regardless. The upgrade snafus can't be helping them with 1Ks who are on the fence about the program right now.
droopydog likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Howard
The amount of attention paid to QA is cultural. At some companies, it's extreme; at other companies, it's almost an afterthought. (It's part of the old adage: Good, Cheap, Quick; pick two).

UA's consumer-facing software has shown a clear lack of prioritization of QA for years. (The old website wasn't called United.bomb for nothing). This is particularly egregious, even by their standards.

However, I can tell you exactly what happened, despite having no personal knowledge of the situation at all: The MileagePlus team came up with PlusPoints; the executives picked a go-live date; they announced it; and nobody ever asked the technical teams involved if they could deliver it by that date. (Or, if they did ask, UA has built a culture of agreeing to deadline demands without investigation, which happens at some companies).
Kacee likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by jsloan
However, I can tell you exactly what happened, despite having no personal knowledge of the situation at all: The MileagePlus team came up with PlusPoints; the executives picked a go-live date; they announced it; and nobody ever asked the technical teams involved if they could deliver it by that date. (Or, if they did ask, UA has built a culture of agreeing to deadline demands without investigation, which happens at some companies).
No problem finding some manager or PM type from the technical side who would agree to any deadline
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by findark
No problem finding some manager or PM type from the technical side who would agree to any deadline
Letting the customers find the bugs can be quite efficient as long as you don’t lose them because of it. And you actually have to listen to them. Couple of lost upgrades is not going to sink any ships.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:31 am

Programs: UA MM
The amount of attention paid to QA is cultural. At some companies, it's extreme; at other companies, it's almost an afterthought. (It's part of the old adage: Good, Cheap, Quick; pick two).

UA's consumer-facing software has shown a clear lack of prioritization of QA for years. (The old website wasn't called United.bomb for nothing). This is particularly egregious, even by their standards.

They had to come up with a whole new program to replace the GPU/RPU scheme. The introduction of a new cabin, PE (PY), demanded it but that’s for a different thread.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, EK Gold, CX Silver
I applied PP to upgrade my son and his partner TPAC. The waitlist was confirmed, showed on the reservation. Today he called and told me that it had disappeared - sure enough, no longer visible, and as far as I can tell the PP are no longer "requested".

Instead of just reapplying, I wrote to MP so that perhaps someone will tell the IT people....
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:16 am

Programs: UA GS
I noticed something odd about a future flight. I had used the forward-date trick to monitor a flight I have coming up in May where I'm waitlisted for an upgrade. Was previously showing on the list but noticed I had disappeared from it. Went to check the reservation and saw there had been a schedule change (by 5 minutes). Once I accepted the schedule change I was once again on the list.

Given I've never had visibility into the list previously no idea if it was always this way, but I thought it was interesting.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: None - previously UA

No doubt there was the typical use of outsourcing involved as well.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by villox
I noticed something odd about a future flight. I had used the forward-date trick to monitor a flight I have coming up in May where I'm waitlisted for an upgrade. Was previously showing on the list but noticed I had disappeared from it. Went to check the reservation and saw there had been a schedule change (by 5 minutes). Once I accepted the schedule change I was once again on the list.

Given I've never had visibility into the list previously no idea if it was always this way, but I thought it was interesting.
Schedule changes technically involve a deletion and an addition, so this is not particularly surprising.
jsloan likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: UA GS
Schedule changes technically involve a deletion and an addition, so this is not particularly surprising.
Yes, but I do wonder what implications it has for waitlist priority. Will you not be upgraded until you accept the schedule change? Could others be upgraded ahead of you?

All the more reason to diligently watch reservations I guess (and still incredibly frustrating how inconsistent United is in notifying about schedule changes).
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by villox

I do also think it was always this way, and it explains why schedule changes are the most common cause for a problem in clearing upgrades.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JimInOhio
They had to come up with a whole new program to replace the GPU/RPU scheme. The introduction of a new cabin, PE (PY), demanded it but that’s for a different thread.
That's as may be, but they didn't have to introduce PlusPoints on December 4. They could have introduced them on December 20, or January 15, or March 3, and it wouldn't really have made much difference. I mean, they'd already had a PE cabin for quite some time before they created the new system, so it's not like they couldn't make RPU/GPUs work with PE. The schedule was pretty clearly made without adequate consideration for the necessary technical work; as customers, we're currently paying the price.
ezefllying likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.