Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do UA flyers actually like this? PDE, United Club food, lack of food to Hawaii, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do UA flyers actually like this? PDE, United Club food, lack of food to Hawaii, ....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I haven't flown a long-haul UA flight in a long time. I just completed ATL-IAH-HNL-DEN-ATL in coach. I have some questions.

What's with the "bring your own screen" entertainment system? I could never make it work on my laptop (yes, I did all the requested Flash updates--or at least tried), so I had to use the app on my phone. Inferior to contemporary seatback screens (at least the ones on DL and other recently-flown airlines).
I got a Chase UA Club card specifically to have lounge access on this trip. Good lord. I tried ATL, HNL, and DEN. The spaces were OK (although the restrooms at all were much worse than the general public restrooms in the concourse), but the food offerings were just terrible. The Priority Pass lounge in ATL is better. DEN was particularly disappointing. I was hoping for something hot after my red-eye, but it was cold fruit (most from cans!), cold pastries (exactly like a Comfort Inn or LaQuinta, except out of the cellophane), or cold cereal.
And speaking of food--the lack of a meal service on a long-haul is just stupid. I did buy the egg-white and chicken flatbread sandwich on the outbound, and it was OK. But they had run out of everything else hot by the time they got to my row. I know people make fun of airline food, but seriously . . . .

I know I'm kind of venting, but I was just genuinely surprised by how . . . meager everything was. Is this normal? I don't understand how this could be effective at keeping customers loyal to UA. So maybe you guys can enlighten me?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond; VS Gold; Uber Diamond
Most are probably indifferent to it.

I *prefer* having onboard screens, only b/c it provides me options. I can work on my decks during the flight and watch something on the IFE at the same time - no additional device required.

BYOD hurts folks who like to split their time between their main device and IFE (and of course theres no room for a third device in the mix).

So, i guess i'm actually leaning against the BYOD idea.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:47 pm
mr8

Programs: UA1K | *A Gold
I think it's safe to say that we ALL hate the things you mentioned.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
They have to pay for the executive bonuses somehow.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
PDE - I like it cause all I use are iPad and iPhone - screens are hot and bright
UC food - use Centurion or Polaris or *G and I have given up UC membership as soon as my club card runs out
Hawaii - dunno, never flown coach, but I would imagine it would stink, even if you brought your own food
TXJeepGuy likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:33 am
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

PDE Im usually on my laptop working or browsing the web so no issues here.

United Club Not happy with these spaces, either. I keep my membership mainly for access to Star Alliance lounges in Europe and Asia.

Lack of food this is very frustrating, especially considering how often items run out.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
The other problem with "BYOD" is that with my phone (and many others, I'm sure) the charging port is also used as the earphones port. So my phone runs out of juice before I'm done with the movie.

I will say that the flight crews I encountered were all nice, and the boarding was efficient. Seats were OK.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by hotturnip
The other problem with "BYOD" is that with my phone (and many others, I'm sure) the charging port is also used as the earphones port. So my phone runs out of juice before I'm done with the movie.
$30. Don't leave home without it. $30. Don't leave home without it.
onthesam likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:38 am

Programs: UA PM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings
Most are probably indifferent to it.

I *prefer* having onboard screens, only b/c it provides me options. I can work on my decks during the flight and watch something on the IFE at the same time - no additional device required.
Exactly. IFE lets me have something on and work on my laptop at the same time. Definitely preferable to BYOD only, IMHO.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
We (my wife and I) loathe the BYOD "free" IFE. We would rather pay and have access to non-stale programming and even the live sports/news programming that DirectTV offers.

UC clubs just suck-across the board. In IAH, we always go to the Priority Pass lounge or Landry's instead.

Last time we flew to HNL, we were on the EWR-HNL (767-400) flight in J and the food was insufficient for such a long flight and poor in quality.

You're preaching to the choir here, Brother!
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I cant see that particular issue as the airlines fault. Get Bluetooth head/earphones or complain to the device manufacturer.
cawhite, st3, ajGoes and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
I actually much prefer not flying in a cabin full of bright screens everywhere. I don't need to spend the whole flight being distracted by the next row's movies and constant flashes of light out of the corner of my eye. I'm also already sick to death of listening to the Delta safety video after only a few months of flying.

The United Club food is an embarrassment though.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:25 am

Programs: UA MM, AA almost MM
PED-- Ugggg.... I no longer bring a device except for the phone. I don't want to watch anything on my phone. United is just cutting costs of the personal entertainments. For a short flight it is ok but HNL flights are a little too long for PED.

UC food is lacking unless a salad (sometimes good) and soup is sufficient for you. Usually salad and soup i exactly what I wanted but not my husband. When traveling with my husband we usually dine at the Priority Pass restaurants even if we have UC access as a *G.

Yes, IAH-HNL flight sucked. The one experience I had; they did not run out of food but they kept the food warming in the oven until it was sold out. The food smell permeated the rear half of the plane. That presented two problems. (1) Food smells make my brain think I was hungry. (2) what if you hate the meat in the oven. You have to smell it for a long time!!!!
Markie likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
"Like" and "hate" are not the operative terms. Rather, it is "pay for". Nothing is free, it is simply included in the ticket price. Or not.

Entertainment - IFE is expensive, weights a lot, and costs a fortune to maintain. BYOD is an incrementally small cost above the already-installed WiFi infrastructrue and consists of a plug & play hard drive.

Food - Consumers made this one clear long ago. Bring your own.

UC - Not worth it unless you are a FF with long hub connections and understand that it is a cup of coffee and some munchies. Again, could it be better? Of course, but how much more will people pay for that?

All things are possible. Lie flat in Polaris, Polaris access on the ground, and food appropriate to the journey are all doable. But, at a cost. How much are you willing to pay for that? Or more precisely, given that UA's major customers are employers, not passengers, how much are employers ready to spend?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 7:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Often1
UC - Not worth it unless you are a FF with long hub connections and understand that it is a cup of coffee and some munchies. Again, could it be better? Of course, but how much more will people pay for that?
This is where the essential cheapness of UA shines through. DL and AA both provide better (including showers).

And UA has just raised prices $100/year. Shameless and disgusting.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.