FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   Do UA flyers actually like this? PDE, United Club food, lack of food to Hawaii, .... (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1995404-do-ua-flyers-actually-like-pde-united-club-food-lack-food-hawaii.html)

hotturnip Nov 13, 2019 10:03 pm

Do UA flyers actually like this? PDE, United Club food, lack of food to Hawaii, ....

I haven't flown a long-haul UA flight in a long time. I just completed ATL-IAH-HNL-DEN-ATL in coach. I have some questions.

What's with the "bring your own screen" entertainment system? I could never make it work on my laptop (yes, I did all the requested Flash updates--or at least tried), so I had to use the app on my phone. Inferior to contemporary seatback screens (at least the ones on DL and other recently-flown airlines).
I got a Chase UA Club card specifically to have lounge access on this trip. Good lord. I tried ATL, HNL, and DEN. The spaces were OK (although the restrooms at all were much worse than the general public restrooms in the concourse), but the food offerings were just terrible. The Priority Pass lounge in ATL is better. DEN was particularly disappointing. I was hoping for something hot after my red-eye, but it was cold fruit (most from cans!), cold pastries (exactly like a Comfort Inn or LaQuinta, except out of the cellophane), or cold cereal.
And speaking of food--the lack of a meal service on a long-haul is just stupid. I did buy the egg-white and chicken flatbread sandwich on the outbound, and it was OK. But they had run out of everything else hot by the time they got to my row. I know people make fun of airline food, but seriously . . . .

I know I'm kind of venting, but I was just genuinely surprised by how . . . meager everything was. Is this normal? I don't understand how this could be effective at keeping customers loyal to UA. So maybe you guys can enlighten me?

CatchFlightsNotFeelings Nov 13, 2019 10:21 pm

Most are probably indifferent to it.

I *prefer* having onboard screens, only b/c it provides me options. I can work on my decks during the flight and watch something on the IFE at the same time - no additional device required.

BYOD hurts folks who like to split their time between their main device and IFE (and of course theres no room for a third device in the mix).

So, i guess i'm actually leaning against the BYOD idea.

mr8 Nov 13, 2019 10:47 pm

I think it's safe to say that we ALL hate the things you mentioned.

Kacee Nov 13, 2019 10:58 pm

They have to pay for the executive bonuses somehow.

Hipplewm Nov 13, 2019 11:08 pm

PDE - I like it cause all I use are iPad and iPhone - screens are hot and bright
UC food - use Centurion or Polaris or *G and I have given up UC membership as soon as my club card runs out
Hawaii - dunno, never flown coach, but I would imagine it would stink, even if you brought your own food

danielflyer Nov 14, 2019 12:33 am

PDE— I’m usually on my laptop working or browsing the web so no issues here.

United Club— Not happy with these spaces, either. I keep my membership mainly for access to Star Alliance lounges in Europe and Asia.

Lack of food— this is very frustrating, especially considering how often items run out.

hotturnip Nov 14, 2019 6:07 am

The other problem with "BYOD" is that with my phone (and many others, I'm sure) the charging port is also used as the earphones port. So my phone runs out of juice before I'm done with the movie.

I will say that the flight crews I encountered were all nice, and the boarding was efficient. Seats were OK.

wxguy Nov 14, 2019 6:36 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip (Post 31735740)
The other problem with "BYOD" is that with my phone (and many others, I'm sure) the charging port is also used as the earphones port. So my phone runs out of juice before I'm done with the movie.

DawgmanOH Nov 14, 2019 6:38 am

Originally Posted by CatchFlightsNotFeelings (Post 31734947)
Most are probably indifferent to it.

I *prefer* having onboard screens, only b/c it provides me options. I can work on my decks during the flight and watch something on the IFE at the same time - no additional device required.

Exactly. IFE lets me have something on and work on my laptop at the same time. Definitely preferable to BYOD only, IMHO.

zombietooth Nov 14, 2019 6:43 am

We (my wife and I) loathe the BYOD "free" IFE. We would rather pay and have access to non-stale programming and even the live sports/news programming that DirectTV offers.

UC clubs just suck-across the board. In IAH, we always go to the Priority Pass lounge or Landry's instead.

Last time we flew to HNL, we were on the EWR-HNL (767-400) flight in J and the food was insufficient for such a long flight and poor in quality.

You're preaching to the choir here, Brother!

kale73 Nov 14, 2019 6:50 am

Originally Posted by hotturnip (Post 31735740)

I can’t see that particular issue as the airline’s “fault”. Get Bluetooth head/earphones or complain to the device manufacturer.

findark Nov 14, 2019 6:55 am

I actually much prefer not flying in a cabin full of bright screens everywhere. I don't need to spend the whole flight being distracted by the next row's movies and constant flashes of light out of the corner of my eye. I'm also already sick to death of listening to the Delta safety video after only a few months of flying.

The United Club food is an embarrassment though.

Ilove2fly Nov 14, 2019 7:25 am

PED-- Ugggg.... I no longer bring a device except for the phone. I don't want to watch anything on my phone. United is just cutting costs of the personal entertainments. For a short flight it is ok but HNL flights are a little too long for PED.

UC food is lacking unless a salad (sometimes good) and soup is sufficient for you. Usually salad and soup i exactly what I wanted but not my husband. When traveling with my husband we usually dine at the Priority Pass restaurants even if we have UC access as a *G.

Yes, IAH-HNL flight sucked. The one experience I had; they did not run out of food but they kept the food warming in the oven until it was sold out. The food smell permeated the rear half of the plane. That presented two problems. (1) Food smells make my brain think I was hungry. (2) what if you hate the meat in the oven. You have to smell it for a long time!!!!

Often1 Nov 14, 2019 7:27 am

"Like" and "hate" are not the operative terms. Rather, it is "pay for". Nothing is free, it is simply included in the ticket price. Or not.

Entertainment - IFE is expensive, weights a lot, and costs a fortune to maintain. BYOD is an incrementally small cost above the already-installed WiFi infrastructrue and consists of a plug & play hard drive.

Food - Consumers made this one clear long ago. Bring your own.

UC - Not worth it unless you are a FF with long hub connections and understand that it is a cup of coffee and some munchies. Again, could it be better? Of course, but how much more will people pay for that?

All things are possible. Lie flat in Polaris, Polaris access on the ground, and food appropriate to the journey are all doable. But, at a cost. How much are you willing to pay for that? Or more precisely, given that UA's major customers are employers, not passengers, how much are employers ready to spend?

Kacee Nov 14, 2019 7:36 am

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 31735956)
UC - Not worth it unless you are a FF with long hub connections and understand that it is a cup of coffee and some munchies. Again, could it be better? Of course, but how much more will people pay for that?

This is where the essential cheapness of UA shines through. DL and AA both provide better (including showers).

And UA has just raised prices $100/year. Shameless and disgusting.