Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Do UA flyers actually like this? PDE, United Club food, lack of food to Hawaii, ....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do UA flyers actually like this? PDE, United Club food, lack of food to Hawaii, ....

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by mduell
And Southwest offers no meals.
But sometimes they give two tiny bags of pretzels. And a second 4 oz plastic cup filled mostly with ice
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by kale73
I cant see that particular issue as the airlines fault. Get Bluetooth head/earphones or complain to the device manufacturer.
Well, I didn't know I was going to be thrown into this situation. Otherwise I would have brought my Bluetooth earbuds. (But I actually hate using those--they're always so hard to sync.)

Originally Posted by mherdeg
Has this experience changed anything about your future purchase decisions?

Why did you decide on ATL-IAH-HNL-DEN-ATL instead of the comfy Delta nonstop?
Good and reasonable questions.

It was cheaper (like, 30% cheaper), and I was trying to save my department some money. I work for a state university, and I like to be a good steward of the taxpayers' money.

And yes, it has changed my attitude as far as future purchases. I'm definitely willing to pay a little more for the comfy DL flight. I think their Buy on Board food options are actually better, and the lounge food is WAY better. Short-haul, it probably wouldn't make much difference. But long-haul--I'd definitely think twice before flying UA again. It would have to be massive savings, like this time. And I now feel that United club access is basically worthless. (And I'd bring my Bluetooth earbuds!)

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 14, 2019 at 7:42 pm Reason: merged consecutive posts by same member
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:56 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
PDE on UA is the bane of my existence on UA flights. It does not matter how much I ensure I have updated to the most recent version of the app. Purchased a S9 after a UA FA told me it was because my S4 was too old (although it worked for everything else I did including anything UA app related except for the Entertainment).

The PDE only works about 50% of the time when I try to use it and generally only on SAN-LAX legs. I am so thankful when they have Direct TV on a flight.

I have given up contacting UA - waste of time.

So to the question posed by the OP.

Does this UA flyer like the PDE? NO

(However, as I will be migrating away from UA it is going to become a moot point.)
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I like PDE on my iPad - lots of options. Besides the costs of in seat entertainment, another issue is the technology/screens become stale after a few years.

Airplane food is awful - eat before your flight or grab a sandwich.

Lastly, I've never understood why people think their should be food offerings in a UC. It isn't a restaurant. If you want food, go to a restaurant in the airport.
I think there should be food offerings because the competition has food offerings. In my case, I'm comparing to DL and Priority Pass. It's one of the prime attractions of the lounges for me. Obviously, you don't care about it.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
I like PDE on my iPad - lots of options. Besides the costs of in seat entertainment, another issue is the technology/screens become stale after a few years.

Airplane food is awful - eat before your flight or grab a sandwich.

Lastly, I've never understood why people think their should be food offerings in a UC. It isn't a restaurant. If you want food, go to a restaurant in the airport.
Clearly someone who doesn't visit the NH lounges at NRT often enough. Or the SQ lounge at HKG. Or the even the CA lounge at PEK. The last one doesn't have great food, but you can at least get a full meal there.

Originally Posted by hyho61
UA is the only airline which does not give free meals on their Hawaii flights especially the ones which are longer than 7 hours. I don't know why many passengers still chose UA from EWR/ORD/IAH to Hawaii (and IAH to ANC) given that the fares are not cheap in comparison to other airlines. UA copies DL on everything, why don't they copy this too.
Because UA only copies the bad things DL does, not the good things. And then sometimes, they come up with even worse things on their own, like the 2020 MP changes. Hey, at least I give them points for being original on that one.

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
It really is just inane to compare WN to UA. the business models are different and the scope is different. If you're a domestic flier who doesn't mind the lack of a F option, doesn't fly enough to find away around bag fees, don't want an associated lounge, doesn't need the worldwide network or alliance, an ounce of snack (and not even the option of buying a meal on board) and WN are for you. They do a good job for what they do. It works for a lot of people but also doesn't work for a lot of people.

You know what was pathetic? Before UA started offering a light snack along with the beverage service (like those streusel wafers or pretzels), WN actually served more food on their flights than UA did. I thought WN was supposed to be the no frills discount airline?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
You know. UA has made a marketing decision to provide domestic service on Hawaii flights. That’s their right. If you don’t like it there are plenty of options. I suggest you take advantage of them. There’s nothing to see here, move along.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OP raises valid points about UA's service versus other carriers. Why is that somehow taboo to discuss here?
Old Nov 14, 2019, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
OP raises valid points about UA's service versus other carriers. Why is that somehow taboo to discuss here?
Not things I care about personally.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mduell
Not things I care about personally.
And there you go. You must be the customer that UA is targeting.
FlyingNone and coolbeans202 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by STS-134
Clearly someone who doesn't visit the NH lounges at NRT often enough. Or the SQ lounge at HKG. Or the even the CA lounge at PEK. The last one doesn't have great food, but you can at least get a full meal there.
Asia and Europe do things differently than the US - some things are better - other things not so much. It doesn't seem right to compare Asian lounges (many of which you can't buy a membership, for instance NH)
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by hotturnip
I haven't flown a long-haul UA flight in a long time. I just completed ATL-IAH-HNL-DEN-ATL in coach. I have some questions.

What's with the "bring your own screen" entertainment system? I could never make it work on my laptop (yes, I did all the requested Flash updates--or at least tried), so I had to use the app on my phone. Inferior to contemporary seatback screens (at least the ones on DL and other recently-flown airlines).
I got a Chase UA Club card specifically to have lounge access on this trip. Good lord. I tried ATL, HNL, and DEN. The spaces were OK (although the restrooms at all were much worse than the general public restrooms in the concourse), but the food offerings were just terrible. The Priority Pass lounge in ATL is better. DEN was particularly disappointing. I was hoping for something hot after my red-eye, but it was cold fruit (most from cans!), cold pastries (exactly like a Comfort Inn or LaQuinta, except out of the cellophane), or cold cereal.
And speaking of food--the lack of a meal service on a long-haul is just stupid. I did buy the egg-white and chicken flatbread sandwich on the outbound, and it was OK. But they had run out of everything else hot by the time they got to my row. I know people make fun of airline food, but seriously . . . .

I know I'm kind of venting, but I was just genuinely surprised by how . . . meager everything was. Is this normal? I don't understand how this could be effective at keeping customers loyal to UA. So maybe you guys can enlighten me?
Welcome to public transportation 2019. Cheao and worth it.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:07 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Asia and Europe do things differently than the US - some things are better - other things not so much. It doesn't seem right to compare Asian lounges (many of which you can't buy a membership, for instance NH)
I am unaware of any regulation that prohibits UA from doing lounges better than they do in Asia. In any case, if we want to compare to membership lounges, then the food at the United Clubs still sucks in comparison to the Centurions.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: UA 1MM, MP 1K, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
WN definitely beats United on free food to Hawaii & I've flown both.

I am in the love PDE camp.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Do you want UA to raise prices $20 to give you $5 in food? Just buy it at the airport. You're still getting a far better deal than you were years ago when food was included.
And you can easily bring something that's both better tasting and better for you if you bring your own food from home, or even a prepared wrap from Trader Joe's.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by milepig
You know. UA has made a marketing decision to provide domestic service on Hawaii flights. That’s their right. If you don’t like it there are plenty of options. I suggest you take advantage of them. There’s nothing to see here, move along.
It's almost impossible for the average flyer to compare the differences in service and amenities between two airlines prior to booking.

Booking websites tell you travel time, price, stops, and baggage restrictions. They don't really say "hey Delta has food on this route and United doesnt!"

So United gets the purchase. Great for United! Except the customer, as seen in the OP, now knows to avoid United in the future. And they tell everyone about it.

So United gets to book a sale in this quarter, and then lose 6 sales next year.

Thats typical wall street thinking. Burn the building down if it means you get to pad the current quarter and cash out.

Delta is clearly running a business they intend to last for a long time. UA and AA don't seem to care. And why should they? If anything goes wrong, the CEO gets a golden parachute and its someone else's problem. Hey, maybe the two could even merge, that solves all problems!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.