Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 4:55 pm
st3

Programs: United MP
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
After all: if they don't honor this contract, which contracts will they honor in the future?
As JimInOhio also noted there has not been a contract with T&C produced so far that would illustrate a breach of contract.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 5:10 pm

I was unable to talk to anyone today. I'll try again tomorrow.

As for terms and conditions, I'm no lawyer but I do know that intent matters.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by st3
As JimInOhio also noted there has not been a contract with T&C produced so far that would illustrate a breach of contract.
Has anybody contacted UA and requested a copy of the T&C that governed their membership?
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:17 am

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by TomMM
Has anybody contacted UA and requested a copy of the T&C that governed their membership?
I would like share an unrelated experience. A number of years ago I complained to a UA executive VP about their breaking promise on the MM program. I got to know the VP because I was among a few first generation 1Ks invited to Chicago for a social activity. The VP kindly replied in a email to tell me that was before his time at UA, and he has asked a senior Mileage Plus officer to research the old MM program. I have never heard from them again.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:37 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
They won't provide that to you.

As the Silver Wings lawsuit plaintiffs found out - not being able to produce terms and conditions or a contract was the sole reason the lawsuit was won by UA. The onus is not on UA to produce contracts - the onus is on a plaintiff. A plaintiff has to prove their case.

You have to prove UA cannot change access rules. You will at a minimum show UA cannot change terms and conditions AND cannot change access rules AND lifetime members are a special class whose access cannot ever be restricted as opposed to any other member.

They will simply say - a member is a member - whether it is lifetime or someone who pays an annual fee. They will say - and by the way, you still have a membership and you are on a level playing field with every other member and never promised you'd get above and beyond access from a annual member.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:08 am

Programs: UA Gold; 1MM; Marriot Lifetime Platinum
Although I have not been a UC member for many years, I have been reading this thread and it leaves such a bad taste for United. Like dealing with a Scrooge. So I wrote a polite email as well and sent it off today to both Oscar and the United Club. Just figured I would let them know how non club members are seeing this and how it makes us feel about United. Who wants to hang around a Scrooge when there are other airlines that are doing right by their customers. FWIW.
Mikey, ctownflyer, uanj and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You can find a number of old T&C's on archive.org if you bought one back in the 2000's. I doubt there was anything beyond what was on the websites at the time. Looking at them, it appears that the same T&C's we're applied to all forms of membership (whether single year, multi-year, or lifetime) and they did not seem to have specific ones for lifetime memberships.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 11:19 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by xliioper
You can find a number of old T&C's on archive.org if you bought one back in the 2000's. I doubt there was anything beyond what was on the websites at the time. Looking at them, it appears that the same T&C's we're applied to all forms of membership (whether single year, multi-year, or lifetime) and they did not seem to have specific ones for lifetime memberships.
a) I also think it is important to find old issues of "Continental" magazine. If memory serves right it had a regular segment featuring the locations/benefits of Presidents Clubs. I have a copy of the last edition somewhere, but need to figure out in which box it is located. Does anyone else have a back copy?

b) As a non-lawyer who has worked with lots of lawyers, just because something is (or is not) in a contract does not make the term enforceable. In many cases courts have ruled that what people thought was an agreement might supersede the actual contractual terms---but as with everything ymmv.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
They won't provide that to you.

As the Silver Wings lawsuit plaintiffs found out - not being able to produce terms and conditions or a contract was the sole reason the lawsuit was won by UA. The onus is not on UA to produce contracts - the onus is on a plaintiff. A plaintiff has to prove their case.

You have to prove UA cannot change access rules. You will at a minimum show UA cannot change terms and conditions AND cannot change access rules AND lifetime members are a special class whose access cannot ever be restricted as opposed to any other member.

They will simply say - a member is a member - whether it is lifetime or someone who pays an annual fee. They will say - and by the way, you still have a membership and you are on a level playing field with every other member and never promised you'd get above and beyond access from a annual member.
wouldn’t they potentially need to provide it as part of discovery during a trial?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
a) I also think it is important to find old issues of "Continental" magazine. If memory serves right it had a regular segment featuring the locations/benefits of Presidents Clubs. I have a copy of the last edition somewhere, but need to figure out in which box it is located. Does anyone else have a back copy?
Does the web archive have any of them saved?
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:12 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Does the web archive have any of them saved?
Thanks for sending me down an internet wormhole! So far I do not see a reference, but think that the data should be there somewhere.

As someone who joined FT thirteen years ago it is kinda odd looking for magazine articles published back when I was a member of this forum. How times change!
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by jp12687
wouldn’t they potentially need to provide it as part of discovery during a trial?
Perhaps, if they even have them.

I suspect they might - and probably favor UA.
dilanesp likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 1:24 pm

Thanks for sending me down an internet wormhole! So far I do not see a reference, but think that the data should be there somewhere.

As someone who joined FT thirteen years ago it is kinda odd looking for magazine articles published back when I was a member of this forum. How times change!
See post #465 where I posted the lifetime terms and conditions in from the Continental website 1998. They reserved the right to change them then.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 3:50 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
See post #465 where I posted the lifetime terms and conditions in from the Continental website 1998. They reserved the right to change them then.
Look like you cite the website TOS, not the contract for lifetime members. With all due respect, how on earth is that relevant here?

Kinda similar to asking whether a pre-nuptual agreement affects a life insurance policy. Oranges versus kittens.
Old Dec 13, 2019, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey
I was unable to talk to anyone today. I'll try again tomorrow.
So - how did it go?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.