Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 2, 2019, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: zebranz
So, is anything happening with this? Just curious (Oct 3, 2019)

If you paid cash for a lifetime Club membership and would like to join a potential class action due to this material change, please post your username here:
ctownflyer
hog Heaven
AAdmiral
nsx + 1
RichardInSF
Sykes
soartoday
lax2jfk2lax
libuser + 1
Xyzzy + 1
Buster CT1K
1K Student
Elitefreak
flyer austin + 1 (wiki-restricted member, added by IAH-OIL-TRASH)
Radonc1 + 1 (not a FT member but has LT membership)
Halo117
mikey
Mnmag
Vulcan
lateacher
kmersh
MazdaMP
bajong
sandiego1k
thesilb
HnlJay
nachosdelux
wtigerFF
a1bengal
benolaa
LeslieandDiane
SPN Lifer +1
YRKInsider
texd
IAHtraveler
nzpilot
zebranz

If you received a lifetime Club membership from the UA MM program and would like to join a potential class action, please post your username here:
deek
honmani2
lax2jfk2lax (recd 2nd lifetime for hitting 2MM which I gifted)
seacarl

Related thread: Club member/one-time pass access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner) Original thread -- focused on the basic access issue, most lifetime membership posts have been moved to this lifetime thread

Print Wikipost

Lifetime Member Edition: UC access changes Nov 1, 2019 (same day BP on UA or partner)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2019, 5:49 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by dilanesp
But if the contract said the terms were subject to change, "I expected to use the lounge when flying United's competitors" wouldn't control. "United specifically told me I could" might be different.
A VP of UA specifically told me (to use the HKG RCC when I travel intra Asia on other airlines), but I didn't keep the letter. I reported this in one of my previous post.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
A VP of UA specifically told me (to use the HKG RCC when I travel intra Asia on other airlines), but I didn't keep the letter. I reported this in one of my previous post.
A real shame, but definitely worth mentioning to a lawyer.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by jsloan
I suspect this gets back to the argument of "you accept these terms by continuing to use the club."

I think you have to win that argument -- that UA can't unilaterally force you to accept new terms to continue to make use of the membership you've purchased -- before you can win any of the other arguments, because I doubt there will be many (any?) lifetime club members who haven't used the club since they announced the policy change -- and by the time that any lawsuit is resolved, the same would be true for the time period since they implemented the policy change.
Question is, how many lifetime members actually knew that the terms had changed? It's plausible that members just didn't read the updated information they were sent, and unless forced to read through it and sign a document, UA wouldn't be able to assure that they had been informed.

And you brought up a new way UA could apparently resolve the issue, too, and put some folks here in quite a dilemma. They could force lifetime members to choose between original access rules -- but only at airports that had Club locations on the date the lifetime membership was sold (i.e. access denied at all other airports), or continued membership that's equivalent to the currently sold annual access that they're selling -- but subject to the access rules of the current year. In other words, they could say that if you take the updates to the program, you take all of them (expanded locations, but also access restrictions) at once, or you take none of them.
dilanesp likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 8:59 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
If a court asked any UA executive from the 1990's whether they imagined denying lifetime members access to a United Club during operating hours, that executive would say no. Would that be evidence?
Old Nov 13, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by nsx
If a court asked any UA executive from the 1990's whether they imagined denying lifetime members access to a United Club during operating hours, that executive would say no. Would that be evidence?
Of course not - UA Executive from 1990's - did you imagine UA buying Continental? Did you imagine UA going bankrupt in 2002. Did you imagine the Red Carpet Club would be called the United Club. Did you imagine UA would stop flying 747's?

And the theoretical UA Executive of the 1990's would probably say, At the time - probably not. But we never imagined it would become pervasive for lifetime members to use the club when flying a competitor. As we've seen this past 25 years, there are a lot of changes in the aviation industry that I or anyone could have imagined.

The more direct question would be: Did the contract between lifetime members and United ever contain a clause they could use the club at any time regardless of reason? That answer would definitely be no
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: DL GM
I am a lawyer and will be sending United a letter on this issue. Can anyone please let me know the contact info for the best people or departments to reach out to? Feel free to PM me if you have e-mail addresses for executives and do not want to publicly post them. Thank you.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: united
Originally Posted by nsx
No.

But if someone was affirmatively promised it, that might be different.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus (Premier Gold); Hilton HHonors (Gold); Chase Ultimate Rewards; Amex Plat
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Of course not - UA Executive from 1990's - did you imagine UA buying Continental? Did you imagine UA going bankrupt in 2002. Did you imagine the Red Carpet Club would be called the United Club. Did you imagine UA would stop flying 747's?

And the theoretical UA Executive of the 1990's would probably say, At the time - probably not. But we never imagined it would become pervasive for lifetime members to use the club when flying a competitor. As we've seen this past 25 years, there are a lot of changes in the aviation industry that I or anyone could have imagined.
I think said executive would either try to dodge the question, OR would say something like "no...but I didn't imagine that Club members would ever be allowed into other airlines' (Star Alliance) lounges either, since Star Alliance wasn't formed until 1997".
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:04 am

Indeed, the sequencing of this is VERY strong evidence that this was carefully planned out by United. They wanted to make sure that any legal challenge would have to argue the right to use lounges while flying a competitor.
I doubt this; I think the "must show BP" requirement was a step to gather data about how many members and daypass users were flying United vs other airlines (before this requirement); turned out to be more than they wanted and the clubs are crowded, so they changed the rule with 1 year notice.

I think the lifetime members just got swept up in the tide. I don't think they were the target of this sequencing.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MMer & LT UC (when flying UA); Hyatt Credit Cardist; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold via UA 1K
Originally Posted by threeoh
I doubt this; I think the "must show BP" requirement was a step to gather data about how many members and daypass users were flying United vs other airlines (before this requirement); turned out to be more than they wanted and the clubs are crowded, so they changed the rule with 1 year notice.

I think the lifetime members just got swept up in the tide. I don't think they were the target of this sequencing.
They may not have been the initial target, but they certainly are a target now. United is deliberately not exempting lifetime members, despite knowing that it's the wrong thing to do (as evidenced by United not officially notifying lifetime members in writing, whereas annual members were notified in writing).
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: united
Originally Posted by SS255
They may not have been the initial target, but they certainly are a target now. United is deliberately not exempting lifetime members, despite knowing that it's the wrong thing to do (as evidenced by United not officially notifying lifetime members in writing, whereas annual members were notified in writing).
Yeah. There's no way that this isn't a business strategy (and I agree, an immoral one) that is attempting to target flyers who use the lounge while giving their business to United's competitors. If it wasn't, UA would just do what the other airlines did and carve out an exemption.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 12:26 pm

Yeah. There's no way that this isn't a business strategy (and I agree, an immoral one) that is attempting to target flyers who use the lounge while giving their business to United's competitors.
Pretty ominous sign for anyone who has lifetime status. If UA treats LT members who actually paid money to get the status like this, imagine how they're going to treat LT members who didn't buy their LT status...
Mikey, SPN Lifer, Xyzzy and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
Originally Posted by STS-134
Pretty ominous sign for anyone who has lifetime status. If UA treats LT members who actually paid money to get the status like this, imagine how they're going to treat LT members who didn't buy their LT status...
And not a small part of why United will have to be much cheaper than its competitors to get my future business.
Mikey, SS255 and STS-134 like this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
And not a small part of why United will have to be much cheaper than its competitors to get my future business.
Correct and that's the one thing UA mis-calculated in their recent enhancements to DollarsPlus. For many of us who are based outside the US in a large international travel market like say LHR or SYD, UA is just one of a handful options available. Often times, it even isn't the most direct nor the cheapest. The whole purpose of the MM program and to a lesser extent the PQD waiver for international travellers is to keep us staying loyal to them. If anything UA should've lowered the PQM earning for non-UA *A partner flights on the cheapest fares (i.e. K) to incentivize us choosing UA more than say LH or SQ. This January I'll be flying LHR > SYD on UA not because it's the most direct (nearly 30 hours vs 22 hours on an efficient routing) but because it is the cheapest at $800 USD return. If I can manage to get MUA both ways that'll be the cherry on top.

-James
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 2:46 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
While I'm not part of your group, I'd imagine interviewing past agents regarding lifetime membership might be a good idea. I also think United, or Continental have extended bonuses for promoting and signing up lifetime members. If this was indeed a practice (which I believe it was), I'd imagine those agents's testimony could be valuable.... Just my thoughts. (finding those legacy agents willing to testify, however, might be difficult).

Jiburi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.