Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Print Wikipost

Should I switch to UA from AA? What differences to expect?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: UA 1k, AS 75k, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
I've been doing sort of the opposite thing this year, as I status matched from Plat to 75k on AS. I think I'll probably be sticking with UA next year. My flights on AS have been great, and upgrades are waaaay easier, but it's not great flying them out of SFO. Besides the fact that there's no AS lounge available when flying domestic in SFO, I pretty much always have to connect in SEA. SFO-SEA is a short flight, so it bears the brunt of delays when SFO has the dreaded CLOUDS AND FOG. If I then miss my connection, there aren't a lot of options for rebooking, and I have to stand in line at the tiny customer service counter. The ability to SDC for free in the app is really the best thing about UA for me, that added flexibility makes all the difference. Those factors might not be as important out of PDX, but something to consider.

The tl;dr : AS is a better in flight product, UA is better for scheduling flexibility
Old May 24, 2018, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by drewcwsj
- What is going on with award miles? As a PP my next trip to EC in J which I got a screaming $1,200 deal on only nets me 8,000 award miles. Last year on AS/AA a $1,200 J trip netted me over 25,000 award miles.
The US airlines have collectively decided not to offer that kind of mileage rebate anymore. (Well, WN and then DL started it, and everyone else followed suit). That’s the crux of the issue between AS and AA, incidentally. AS has been holding out hope that it can maintain a mileage-based program instead of a fare-based program, but, to do that, they ended up having to gut the redemption rates for AA, since AA wasn’t interested in paying AS a bunch more for its members than it’s paying for its own.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:13 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
A few other thoughts:

- I am trying this experiment with UA for this trip and next trip. I will also book a PDX-DEN work trip in coach to check out E- and upgradeability.

- What is going on with award miles? As a PP my next trip to EC in J which I got a screaming $1,200 deal on only nets me 8,000 award miles. Last year on AS/AA a $1,200 J trip netted me over 25,000 award miles.
Why would you check out E- if with your status match to Platinum you can get E+ seats when you book your ticket?

How much was the base fare of your ticket (fare without taxes and surcharges). As a Platinum you should receive the base fare x 9.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:24 am

I am PDX based and a current AS75k. I love AS but the loss of long haul partners over the last two years has been brutal including DL and now AA mostly. I travel to Ecuador several times a year and now am trying UA via a status match to PP. I haven't flown UA in 15 years and currently just finished my first F leg (PDX-IAH) on my way to UIO.

1. UA has two flights a day PDX-IAH at 0500 and 1230. Unfortunately the 1230 flight lands 3 minutes after the IAH-UIO flight. So I booked the 0500 ughh

2. PDX-IAH ugh - 3 Hours late arriving due to storms in IAH including a diversion to AUS for fuel

3. Ran out of food choices in F by row 2 and I was row 3....I can't remember my last flight where F was catered for only 12 dishes

4. I am in the United Lounge Term E IAH. No food other than the rather weak buffet. At least Admirals Club has a restaurant, not much but a warm quesadilla beats yogurt for me every time.

5. Asked the lounge lizards in Term E United Club for meal info in F on my 6pm flight IAH-UIO - the answer was in F you get dinner. What kind of dinner? No idea. AA and AS have dinner selection for F. Major downgrade.

6. I have 3 more legs on UA this trip and will make my status match but if this is the sum total of UA I may be remembering why I haven't flown them in 15 years.

Funny - I am looking for any reason to jump to AS but they just don't have the network or partners that I need.

My experiences have been good with UA as well as DL. The DL club at PDX is ok and if you have PP you can get a $28 credit at one of the restaurants to supplement the lack of food in the lounge (but perhaps not at 5am)

I think your UA experience can only get better and one trip shouldn't influence your decision.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
- What is going on with award miles? As a PP my next trip to EC in J which I got a screaming $1,200 deal on only nets me 8,000 award miles. Last year on AS/AA a $1,200 J trip netted me over 25,000 award miles....
As the airlines have gone to fare-based system for award miles / RDM, "screaming deals" means a lot fewer RDMs. AA/DL included.
As a UA Plat, you get 9 * PQDs
Old May 24, 2018, 1:40 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Hipplewm

2. It happens, if you were scheduled thru MIA on AA during Hurricane season or PHL during winter doo doo happens, can't outwit mother nature

3. Once you have status (1K) you get first food choice

One other thing, not sure how AA/AS termed this, but for UA this is essentially a domestic flight. It is "Business" but not Polaris, so even when the Polaris lounge opens in IAH you won't have access. That being said there is a Centurion lounge there that is generally not crowded.
2. DFW is also subject to summer thunderstorms. And every once in a great while, in winter, storm will shut it down.

3. 1K is SUPPOSED to get first choice (usually but not always does).

As to the other thing, LIM has a 763 with true lie flat Int'l Biz, and with several PMUA three class converted to true Polaris, but I think they fly to Europe / Deep South America.

- My problem with AS is they neutered the AA partnership with domestic legs getting zero anything. I book J for my trips to Ecuador. If I use AA then the domestic half of the trip in paid F gets zero credit. That is wasteful...

- I am trying this experiment with UA for this trip and next trip. I will also book a PDX-DEN work trip in coach to check out E- and upgradeability.

Does AS not fly PDX-DFW? (Pretty sure they do). You would get full miies for domestic AS and Int'l AA @:-)

Originally Posted by StuckinITH

Why would you check out E- if with your status match to Platinum you can get E+ seats when you book your ticket?

How much was the base fare of your ticket (fare without taxes and surcharges). As a Platinum you should receive the base fare x 9.
Yup, E+ at booking.

AS is the only airline left where you can rack up RDMs, so "a screaming $1,200 deal on only nets me 8,000 award miles."

Yup, recall well buying cheap UA fares when UA would attack AA's DFW hub, and the miles I earned as Gold would pay the miles portion of Ca$h and miles upgrade to lie flat Biz seat. Alas, long gone
Old May 24, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
"Does AS not fly PDX-DFW? (Pretty sure they do). You would get full miies for domestic AS and Int'l AA "

AA only flies DFW-UIO 3 days a week Wed/Fri/Sat. Never seems to work out for me. MIA is the main hub to UIO with 2 flights a day but getting to MIA from PDX is a real pain requiring a red-eye in a 321 on AA. AS doesn't fly to MIA just FLL. Splitting an itinerary is too dangerous when it comes to IRROPS like yesterday for me.

Flying through LIM is a possibility but pricing is usually like $5k crazy and you have to overnight in LIM
Old May 24, 2018, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
"Does AS not fly PDX-DFW? (Pretty sure they do). You would get full miies for domestic AS and Int'l AA "

AA only flies DFW-UIO 3 days a week Wed/Fri/Sat. Never seems to work out for me. MIA is the main hub to UIO with 2 flights a day but getting to MIA from PDX is a real pain requiring a red-eye in a 321 on AA. AS doesn't fly to MIA just FLL. Splitting an itinerary is too dangerous when it comes to IRROPS like yesterday for me.

Flying through LIM is a possibility but pricing is usually like $5k crazy and you have to overnight in LIM
If your main issue is the getting down to UIO then again I would consider UA/Copa out of SFO. I take UA through IAH as I don't want to go through PTY (never have and it may be ok I'll let others respond to that). Copa F class is supposedly actually pretty good and relative to UA cheap but again that is not first hand knowledge as I use UA. They have at least a couple of flights a day with one around 10am (and some latter) so you don't have to knock yourself out by getting to PDX for a 5am flight into IAH and wait hours. Check it out.
Old May 24, 2018, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Asked the lounge lizards in Term E United Club
Using this term says to me that you've already made up your mind to hate United, so why go further?
Old May 24, 2018, 8:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by nomad420
If your main issue is the getting down to UIO then again I would consider UA/Copa out of SFO. I take UA through IAH as I don't want to go through PTY (never have and it may be ok I'll let others respond to that). Copa F class is supposedly actually pretty good and relative to UA cheap but again that is not first hand knowledge as I use UA. They have at least a couple of flights a day with one around 10am (and some latter) so you don't have to knock yourself out by getting to PDX for a 5am flight into IAH and wait hours. Check it out.
Last time I flew through PTY, it was very easy as there was no security to go through, just like a domestic flight And the dutyfree is cheap

Don't know if Copa ever went to E+ and they have bidding for FC upgrades, though you can technically use UA's RPUs (and GPUs).
Old May 24, 2018, 10:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Connecting in PTY is super easy but I encountered the most dragon-like FA imagineable on Copa which has put me off them forever.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by nomad420
As others have said PTY is a very easy connection, the biggest downside to PTY is that the food choices are not the best, but other than that, it is no muss, no fuss.
Old May 29, 2018, 11:27 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Wouldn't DL be a better choice out of PDX?

PDX-ATL-UIO

Last edited by aisleorwindow; May 29, 2018 at 9:51 pm
Old May 29, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
I'd say your experience is pretty par for the course with UA. Their hubs, especially the sCO hubs, have inferior clubs to the Admiral's Clubs and surly agents.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K, UA Plt
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Wouldn't DL be a better choice out of PDX?

PDX-ATL-UIO
DL charges much more for their UIO flights and flies the same old planes that everyone else flies to UIO.. No lie-flats on any carrier to UIO. I just wish someone would start a west coast to UIO service - I'd pay extra for that.

Originally Posted by EmailKid
Last time I flew through PTY, it was very easy as there was no security to go through, just like a domestic flight And the dutyfree is cheap

Don't know if Copa ever went to E+ and they have bidding for FC upgrades, though you can technically use UA's RPUs (and GPUs).
My next flight in early July is on Copa PDX-DEN-PTY-UIO. Now I just need to figure out how to reserve seats on Copa with UA ticket stock. I'm flying business. Oh and after my last trip I'm only 1,300 PQM from completing the status match. Probably should have tried for a 1K match...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; May 30, 2018 at 11:36 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.